Railroad Line Forums - Large scale Indoor layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 228 ]  [ Total: 234 ]  [ Newest Member: wentzeljr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Large scale Indoor layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0
Page: of 36

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  10:04:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys,

I would hate to take a picture of my while shop at once. Its usually a pretty big mess. I usually have about 3 different things going in at once.
I have poured many a gallon of resin at that bench.

Ty

Edited by - fockewulf37 on 01/01/2014 10:06:04 AM

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/05/2014 :  3:57:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey I forgot to show ya'll.
Have you ever messed up and strip planked the wrong side of a wall... Well i did it... I did not realize it until I started putting it together...

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/05/2014 :  4:18:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well the next thing was was trying to figure out was what I was going to do for roofing.I thought about corrugated roofing. I have the crimper for it. I decided I would try to make some ribbed roofing. I do a lot of vacuum forming. I decided to make a mold to pull my roofing out of plastic..
I too a piece of lite plywood. I started to make groves so I could lay in brass square stock to make the ribs.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/05/2014 :  4:23:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Once i got the grooves made I decided to trying pulling the plastic onto the ply with just the grooves in place ,no brass piece. It turned out out pretty nice.

Once pulled I cut out the sheet.
I then cut the roofing to the correct length and the cut out each section so I could sheet the roof as you would in real life,sorta..

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/12/2014 :  06:58:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was then sheeted the rook and and painted it and gave it a light weathering..

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/12/2014 :  07:08:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I next moved to putting the large sliding doors on. Of course I won't make them functional. I got the Doors from Scale Art Models. But I added handles and I needed rollers for the top of the door. So I made 1 roller and then a mold so I could make copies..

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/12/2014 :  07:15:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I found out if I were going to simulate the door rollers and add the side roof, I would have to raise the roof by 1/4". That was easily fixed by adding 1/4" wood to the top of the walls..

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/12/2014 :  08:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here Is the side roof built and installed. I have not added the supports yet...

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/15/2014 :  10:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
looking really good!!

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/16/2014 :  9:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill,

Well the next thing I started working on the deck that goes around the Depot. That would have been a lot of planking. So I decide to make up 2 decks and make a mold so I could pour them out of resin.
I made one master 2.5"x 8" and the other 7.5"x 7.75". I added the grain to the wood and also nail holes in the final product. After they were finished I made a mold of each. After about 5 hours I was able to remove the mold and pour some the new decking. Here are a couple pic's..

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/16/2014 :  9:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Next I made a master set of reinforcements for the bottom of the decks. They were made with molded in wood grain. I did a 8" straight and 2-90 degree parts.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/16/2014 :  9:35:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Once I had my reinforcements made I went back and placed the whole Deck upside down. I then went about placing the reinforcement along the perimeter of the deck. I also used regular wood to tie the joints together.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/17/2014 :  5:08:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Once I had it all connected. Installed the legs. I painted the whole thing with Floquil Earth. The added Rembrandt chalks. I had built a base for the depot with the Foam Board.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/17/2014 :  5:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I installed the Chooch Enterprises Flex Stone to the base. I then made a master to use for the stair stringer and made a mold. Once cured I poured several. I made the stringer Long so i could make different size steps in the future.. Once done I figured how tall I needed the steps.
I cut the stringers and applied the steps..

hokie_tech
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  10:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read your thread all the way through and I'm so impressed. I finally have the time and money to dedicate to this wonderful hobby and you are opening my mind to avenues I had not considered before.

Thanks

Bill

Page: of 36 Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000