Railroad Line Forums - Large scale Indoor layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 245 ]  [ Total: 250 ]  [ Newest Member: wentzeljr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Large scale Indoor layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0
Page: of 36

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  7:30:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok Guys Over the weekend I got the rest of the track laid all except to two section going into the Engine house. I will do those when I come to the point of building the House/Shop. The turntable is fully functional. On the far end you may be able to see the two tracks leading into a future car shop. Each spur has its own switch so something can be parked there if needed and not running all the time...

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  10:48:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ty, nice job.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 12/06/2013 10:51:59 AM

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  5:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man. This is gunna be one great large scale indoor layout

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/18/2013 :  5:17:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys,
Been really busy the past week but did get a little done. I am planning on using a couple buildings from My Modular layout since I have them.One is the Train Station. I was going to build another but this one already has lights sound and an interior. So why not use it...

I needed to make a new base for it so it will have a new resting place in the layout.I started with a piece of 1/2" blue foam cut to the size footprint I was needing. I then sheeted the top of that with 1/8" balsa. Helps it stay straight and gives me a good surface to glue planking to.

I then made cut outs for the steps. I used 1/2 by 3/8" balsa for the steps.I then cut a whoe bunch of planking. Once cut and roughed up I cut it to 10' scale length. I then ran it through the alcohol and shoe polish to darken it up. Once dry I lightly sanded it. I then planked the whole Station Base with the station in place. This makes a exact outline of the station base so it can be set in place.

Once the whole thing was planked I when back over the planking with a coat of Floquil Concrete and thinner. This gives me a grey color with the darker color showing through...

I am still trying to get the wood weathering down. I'll learn one of these days...
Here are a couple pic's...

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/18/2013 :  5:19:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here are a couple with the final color added..It didn't turn out too bad..

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/18/2013 :  6:29:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ty,
Just checking in to see the progress. I like it.

starc
Section Hand

Posted - 12/18/2013 :  7:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit starc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice : )

Visit my picture gallery http://starc.ca/gallery

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 12/19/2013 :  11:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice! The color of the planks looks pretty good to me, like they're just beginning to weather.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/20/2013 :  8:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks again...

I have been thinking of some buildings I would like to add to the layout. I was doing a search for a Freight depot and came across that I really liked.

It was scratch build by Mark Paulson. I found some good photos on his website...

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/20/2013 :  8:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I took the pictures and printed them off and figure out the dimensions for the building. I drew a set of plans for the building. Once I had it drawn I then transferred the drawings to 1/8" foam board.
I am using doors and windows from http://scaleartparts.com/ . Once it was all drawn out I cut everything out and temporarily put it together with tape..

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  4:38:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
looking really good! I wish I had the room to do the same.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  5:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill,
Now that I am going I wish I could go bigger but the only way to go bigger.

Anyway I have been working on my small Depot. I have the whole thing planked and almost ready to install the windows and doors...

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  6:28:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great lokking building.

Mark

W,L,&E

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  12:39:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have to laugh at the work bench, I thought I was the only one that had a work bench that looked like that. casting resin, paint computer...... I guess great minds think a like. Great work! love the station.

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  09:18:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The station is shaping up very nicely!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Page: of 36 Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000