Railroad Line Forums - Large scale Indoor layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 203 ]  [ Total: 208 ]  [ Newest Member: MOONVLL ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Large scale Indoor layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0
Page: of 36

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  8:31:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frank,
But its been raining here and the thicker parts took a little longer to get totally hard..

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  9:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Next I added the cross members.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  9:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The next thing to do is fix the fascia. I am using 1/4" luan . It curves pretty easily. I am securing it to the 1"x 4" bench work. I started over at the small bridge and worked my way around. I added 2"x 4" where needed to secure the fascia to.

I had a temporary piece on the front of the trestle area so I removed it...

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  9:50:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
For the trestle area I had to add new 2" x 4" Supports to box off the area. I also had to start with a 2' x 8' piece of luan. I secured it to the hard points.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/04/2015 :  09:31:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I marked from the inside and made a rough cut. close to the lines. i will do a finer cut later. Anyway installed all the screws.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/05/2015 :  9:58:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I went ahead and finished all of the fascia around the layout. you can see i left it sticking up above the layout from 1-2 inches. it will be cut later..

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/06/2015 :  09:22:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The next thing I did was go around the curved sections where a fascia did not touch the layout base and traced off a piece of foam so that it matches the curve. This piece was glued underneath with hot glue to the layout base and to the fascia. This helps support the fascia in the open areas/ I then went around and filled the area on top with scrap foam for more support and so I don't have to fill with ground cover later..

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2015 :  10:33:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice progress.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  6:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ray

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/11/2015 :  08:42:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok guys I have a lot of catching up to do. I have been hard at work.
Next i took my dremel tool with the mulitsaw attachment and scalloped the fascia and cut the opening for the small trestle area...

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/11/2015 :  08:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I then built up the area in the center of the loop..

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/11/2015 :  08:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The whole area was then smoothed down with a rasp. You can see I took off about 2" from the front to make it all even..

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/11/2015 :  09:01:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok next I moved to the front of the hill. I went to the trust Frocks. I am able to pull the foam apart in about 1/2" thick pieces. I then cut the pieces to fit the area and Hot glue them in place. Then I go back with a hydrocal mixture and brush it in. once done and dry they are hard as a rock....

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/11/2015 :  09:08:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I know there are other ways to do it but here are my videos on the frocks..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGknDkl-B1Q

www.youtube.com/watch?v=o66KQ4ruL4o

ty

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2015 :  10:13:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ty, I like the hot glue idea, we've always used Gorilla glue to attach the frocks and that takes some time to set up. Plus you have to pin it in place till the glue is dry.

Frank

Page: of 36 Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000