Railroad Line Forums - Large scale Indoor layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 204 ]  [ Total: 208 ]  [ Newest Member: MOONVLL ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Large scale Indoor layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0
Page: of 36

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/22/2015 :  7:17:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have been so busy lately doing things for others...( Making money for the hobby) I have done little work on the indoor layout.. I did cut the wood for the trestle bents a couple weeks ago. but finally got around to working o the bents themselves..

I hope to get the trestle finished soon so I can run the trains again...

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/27/2015 :  07:57:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well the the base for the trestle was laminated with the luan plywood. It does not take a stain very well. So I started by painting the whole thing a brown figuring that the ties would hide the color. Well it does not. So next I figured I would cut a very thin piece of the cedar I was using and then glue it to the sides.
Then I remembered I had gone to Home Depot a couple years back and had bought a roll of Oak veneer for edges of you wood work. It was an Iron on type..
I still roughed up the exposed side the a 36 grit sandpaper. It was very easy to iron on and then cut to the proper width with a razor.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2015 :  10:55:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Iron on wood, now I've seen it all.

Frank

Dale MacKeown
New Hire

Posted - 11/27/2015 :  11:37:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or is it Permanente press?

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/28/2015 :  5:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well It nice to be able to get some work done for myself. I got all of the ties colored and ready to install.
So I was trying to figure how to properly space the ties. On a curve the outside will be a little wider. I am horrible at algebra so I dropped back and used a compass.
I used the string to get the correct angle for each tie. The system worked really well.

Ty

I also made a small tool to make sure the ties wee placed correctly on the base..

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/29/2015 :  08:34:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Then I did the same for the other trestle.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2015 :  09:58:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A trestle to last a thousand years.

Frank

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/29/2015 :  7:30:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote

A 1000 years or I am forced to move which ever comes first..

Next I spiked the rails on both trestles. I made a gauge to set the distance from the edge. I spiked one side the the other...

Edited by - fockewulf37 on 11/29/2015 7:37:54 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/29/2015 :  11:16:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sure is excellent craftsmanship' and workmanship'..looks great'..

Ted

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2015 :  11:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/30/2015 :  1:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mario and Ted,

Well something I added over the weekend was a sound system to the layout. On my modular i have about 5 different sound systems for the Layout.

So i decided to add a basic background sound to the home layout. Recently an online store was having a speaker sale. So i bought four home computer speaker systems for about $10 each. If they were bad, I really would not be out much.

Well they came in and really work and sound pretty good. The system has two speakers and has a volume and equalizer control. First i test the system to make sure it works. Then I pull it apart and for this setup I leave the existing speaker hooked up but I solder in speaker wire so I can add more speakers. I drill a hole in the box to allow the wire to exit. I do Tie a single knot in the wire so I can't pull it out of the box. I then added 2 more speaker to each side . So there are 3 speakers on each channel.This covers most of the layout. The Speakers are installed behind the Valances facing downward. Once installed the system works really well.

You can see the speakers up with the lights

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/30/2015 :  1:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the sideways picture but it turns when I imoored it I guess.

I am using sounds that I bought from Fantasonics. They have really neat CD'shat have about 1 hour of sound on them. The are I. Differnt tracks and you can pick and choose what you want.
http://www.fantasonics.com

Ty

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  06:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Once I had the rail all spiked I put the pieces in place and cut the rail to the correct length to match the layout..

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  06:56:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I then checked all the the bents for the correct length and went about setting them in place. I mixed up bowl of finely sifted sawdust and white glue. I marked the place for each bent and then placed a liberal amount of the mixture in the marked area and then placed the trestle bent in place. I aligned the bent an then held it vertically with clamps fastened to the trestle base. This was allowed to dry for 2 days..

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  10:43:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice job. Yikes 2 days, I'm more of a 5-minute epoxy guy.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 12/03/2015 10:44:00 AM

Page: of 36 Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000