Railroad Line Forums - Large scale Indoor layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 147 ]  [ Total: 153 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Large scale Indoor layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0
Page: of 36

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/06/2014 :  6:11:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The Kit was really nice. But the scale appeared to be a little off. It just swallowed up my Shay. So I decided to do a little carving on what I had. So I reduce it to a smaller engine house. Here is what i came up with.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2014 :  8:24:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Much better I think Lowell hit the scale button one too many times. I'm sure you can figure out what to make out of the spare parts.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 07/06/2014 8:26:20 PM

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2014 :  11:49:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, you've really accomplished a lot since the last time I checked in here! The store and turntable look great.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/08/2014 :  06:22:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ray,

Frank most of the excess ended up on the scrap pile. I did end up with a few extra window frames now..

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/08/2014 :  06:48:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
While I was playing with the holding the engine house together. I was looking at making an exhaust stack for engine house.. After a little work I ended up with this. I was trying to use a an easily available pipe. So I used a 1.5" plumbing pipe and I made fittings for each end. I made one resin fitting for the end to fit the stack cap on..Sorry for the horrible picture using old cell phone.

nziainz
New Hire

Posted - 07/08/2014 :  07:13:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit nziainz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to this taking shape

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/08/2014 :  07:15:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
When I got the Engine house there was a machine shop that was off the back. Once I had reduced the size of the engine house. I figured I may try to use the shop elsewhere. Knowing that i wanted a car shop took the shop and added one more bay to it and cut it for 2 tracks. Here is it clamped together..

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2014 :  07:40:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geez those buildings are big, nice chop job.

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2014 :  08:22:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coming along great. However, based on your previous work, I wonder if you would have done
better (and less expensive) by scratchbuilding them yourself.

Just thinking......

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/08/2014 :  09:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys,
I had thought about scratch building the engine house but when I saw the one online I thought it would give me a great head start. It was within my hobby budget so I went this direction.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/08/2014 :  10:00:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have been going several different directions. I went ahead and put a 6" fascia on the whole layout. I will cut it to match the layout as I apply the ground cover..

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/08/2014 :  10:08:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Next i went about adding all the rest of the the foam to the layout. There were alot of very unusual shapes. So I found the best way was to take old magazines, paper and masking tape. I cut it to up and taped it together in the openings. this gave me a template for each opening. I took that to may foam and cut them out.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/08/2014 :  10:10:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It works really great with the multiangled/curved pieces..

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/08/2014 :  10:13:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here is a shot of it all finished.

Ty

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2014 :  10:25:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ty, what happened? Where did the old engine house go? See, you had it in you all the time.

Don't forget the ash pit.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 07/08/2014 10:29:30 AM

Page: of 36 Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.43 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000