Railroad Line Forums - Best Steam Locomotive
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Best Steam Locomotive
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Eastern Shore RR in HO Topic Next Topic: ACF 3500 centerflow cylindrical hopper car brakes
Page: of 3

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  5:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to say the 10 Baldwin built New Haven 4-6-4 Hudsons (Shoreliners. They could get a 20 car train from a stop to 60 m.p.h. in 4 minutes.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Edited by - nhguy on 11/12/2007 5:11:23 PM

Ray Schofield
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  6:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steam is great no matter what. The NH wish would be nice, but none were saved. Being from the Boston area I like eastern roads NKP, C & 0, I am not as entusiastic for the streamlined versions. I would love to see the N & W or the UP articulateds, just for the shear size and power. Although in model form I prefer smaller 2-8-0s 2-6-0s
Thanks for asking.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/15/2019 :  12:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NKP765 of course, it's still running and with the FRA mandated PTC installed, it'll run anywhere.

www.FWRHS.org

Jim

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/16/2019 :  09:11:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess which ever steam loco that was melted down to make the first diesel would be my favorite. There is a reason steam died, it was too costly, too labor intensive, too impractical and with constantly having to stop for water and having to be shut down for things like emptying the ash pan then taking hours to get the fire built up again too slow. Fun to look at and listen too when running but basically useless compared to a diesel. Please sent all your hate mail to Rick's cat.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/17/2019 :  7:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Mike tells it like it is. Too funny.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/17/2019 :  8:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

I guess which ever steam loco that was melted down to make the first diesel would be my favorite. There is a reason steam died, it was too costly, too labor intensive, too impractical and with constantly having to stop for water and having to be shut down for things like emptying the ash pan then taking hours to get the fire built up again too slow. Fun to look at and listen too when running but basically useless compared to a diesel. Please sent all your hate mail to Rick's cat.

Good points! When the railroads go green, you can enjoy a solar charged lithium battery operated inefficient but quiet handcar, pulling those loads of Kale to a breakfast smoothie. Then again I'd love to see a tug of war between your best diesel against the likes of a Big Boy, Challenger, Y6B Mallet, or a Berkshire. Tractive effort rules, and they didn't need to run 6 diesels to get it.

Jim

P.S. Steam locomotives bring smiles to people's faces, diesels don't.

Edited by - BurleyJim on 06/18/2019 05:07:10 AM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/18/2019 :  08:12:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Say what you want Jim but when a steamer leaves LA for NY by the time it makes stops for water, ash pan emptying, ect. it will be in KC and the diesel will be on it's return trip from NY. I do agree about the smiles on peoples faces but the purpose of a RR isn't smiles it's to make money.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/18/2019 :  4:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Say what you want Jim but when a steamer leaves LA for NY by the time it makes stops for water, ash pan emptying, ect. it will be in KC and the diesel will be on it's return trip from NY. I do agree about the smiles on peoples faces but the purpose of a RR isn't smiles it's to make money.

In our "hobby/pretend world" the object of all this is to "spend money". Fortunately, diesel engines are usually cheaper in scaleland as well.

P.S. I have removed your name from my will for the N-Scale Steam locomotive. Just Kidding! I do have an original version of the Rivarossi Y6B Mallet (before the plant burned) sitting on the mantle.

Jim

Edited by - BurleyJim on 06/18/2019 4:57:55 PM

SAFN SAAP
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 06/19/2019 :  05:20:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There has always been a spot in my liking for the Ventura County 2-6-2, especially when her headlight is on the smoke box front.

Also, the Baldwin 2-8-2 No. 19, especially from the movie "Emperor of the North"

I always have liked small driver locomotives and these two are no exceptions.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/19/2019 :  07:37:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim in the interest of full disclosure I do own an Atlas Shay and an Athearn 2-8-0. However like their real life counter parts they don't see service due to performance issues. I do understand the appeal of steam but being a practical sort I'll take a pass on em'.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/19/2019 :  08:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Jim in the interest of full disclosure I do own an Atlas Shay and an Athearn 2-8-0. However like their real life counter parts they don't see service due to performance issues. I do understand the appeal of steam but being a practical sort I'll take a pass on em'.

Mike, I've got to 'fess up' as well. I've got a small fleet of Stewart F3 A & B's, and a larger fleet of P2K E8's that'll run for days and never flinch. And, a nasty Roundhouse 3 truck Shay sitting next to that Mallet

Jim

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/20/2019 :  3:39:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2019 :  11:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I run diesel at our club and steam at home; my best running lock is an old time 2-8-0.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Eastern Shore RR in HO Topic Next Topic: ACF 3500 centerflow cylindrical hopper car brakes  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000