Railroad Line Forums - Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 97 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: john.l.schooff@gmail.com ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: O scale Pram Topic Next Topic: 2019 Tribute Challenge
Page: of 39

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  10:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing all this eye candy Karl. Looks fabulous as always.

Rich

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  10:58:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote

[/quote]

Hi Tony,

Would these things be something like the stuff you collect? I know they're for lettering but other than that I have no idea what to do with them. They've been sitting in a drawer here for over 50 years and that's about the whole story.

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

[/quote]

Wow; I haven't used a Leroy set in well over 50 years. They were the cat's pajamas back then.

John

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  1:33:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Karl:

Love what you are doing here. Wish I had half of your talent. Love the truck too. thanks buddy.

Karl

spyder62
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  1:43:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit spyder62's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I still have my set and don't know how many fonts for it.
rich

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,
two is a law firm and three or more is a congress.
--John Adams

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  11:28:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl,

I continue to be amazed at the quality of your modeling and photography.

Any time I need a kick in the pants to start building again I just click on one of your many builds.

I am so happy that you are taking full advantage of this forum to share your work with us.

I remember meeting you about 10 years ago but I did not have a chance to see you doing modeling work.

I sure wish you lived down the street from me so that I could learn from you.

We all use the same paints, same glues, same kits, and same scratchbuilding supplies.

Some of us produce nice models and then their are people like you who produce superb models.

I really enjoy looking at your photos.

Thanks again.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  01:02:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  09:30:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Karl,
Darryl said it all. Please keep sharing your work and methods!
Dave

David Guffey

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  12:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello folks,

Thanks again for all the kind comments and interest shown in this build. I very much appreciate every response.

So, I've got a few new/different things to show here today...

I was building a very old Concor kit (1928 Mack truck} and it had an extremely small Mack hood emblem in the kit. I thought it would be neat to add this emblem to some other Mack trucks I've built but Concor has been gone for many years.

I read about a thermoplastic mold compound that is activated in boiling water and ready to use and make a casting in less than 10 minutes...so I got a pack of it.

Now this emblem is really small - .019 thick and 5/32 round...

and I really didn't think that the stuff could even pick up such small detail in the tiny plastic casting...but I tried it anyway. I boiled the blue blocks for 3 minutes and then pressed the emblem into the now very soft mold stuff...YIKES!! It worked - I couldn't believe it picked up the detail in this little part...

I got out the Milliput...

...and pressed it into the mold. Milliput dries in about 3 hours and I took the casting out of the mold (nothing sticks to this Blue Stuff).
It worked!!!

The Milliput dries rock hard and I just sanded the little disc down and I had my emblem!! Now I can make a bunch more for all the Macks I've made that need the "Big M".

I had seen a model built by Jason Jensen by combining 3, KC Craftsman kits and really liked the way it looked. Jason is a fine model builder.

I really couldn't get the kits so it was time to get the rulers and the sharp pencil out and get to measuring up Jason's model and try to make a scratch build of it...to the drawing board!!

I got the measurements I needed and started the buildings...

I wanted to change some things around and wanted to add a staircase on the rear wall - like the one on this signal tower I built...

Here's what it will look like...I hope

I wanted a weathered brick foundation on this model so I cut some old Trains of Texas walls 3/8" high and then beveled the corners rather than make just a butt-joint...I used the 45 sander I made for doing this...

I like straight rows of shingles so I glue on a thin sheet of graph paper to make sure the rows stay nice and straight...the shingles are #512 from Wild West Models.

I noticed some discussions on small, needle tip bottles for dispensing glue and other stuff. I use bottles from Techni Tool and put a piece of brass rod in the needle to keep the tip open...

I also have a little tub of Vaseline in my paint rack and with a quick wipe of it on the brass rod keeps the needle from sticking or clogging up...

I finally found some very nice HO scale figures from Andrew C. Stadden in England. They are the best that I've seen and I'm anxious to get to painting some of them...these are his HO sets 5, 6, and 7...

If you want to try a new glue, this stuff is kind of interesting. This is the first I've used it but it really does work! It's very weird...you shine the light on it for a few seconds and the glue hardens. I tried it to hold together a couple roof cards and it worked great. Neat stuff.

Well, that's all I've got for now...

Cheers,

Karl O.

Edited by - Karl Osolinski on 01/22/2019 12:26:02 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  1:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great building. Nice mold making Karl and the way you did it.

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

John B.
New Hire

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  09:30:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, love the glasses! AND the new construction! (Block by block stonework!)

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  09:35:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's so much in this last post of yours I don't know where to start.
Let's just say Thank You for sharing about your how-to's and new products.

As you think, so will you be.

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  1:02:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Karl:

Love the spiders pencil and the glasses. The building is also lookng very cool.

Karl S.

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  6:04:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl,

I've read somewhere that two part epoxy resin doesn't play well with the blue stuff. I was about to get some when I read that, then changed my mind. However, now I may have to get some since the Miliput appears to work just fine!

I also have some Stadden figures in need of painting. They are indeed beautiful castings.

As for the rest, I second what Rick says...there's just a lot to take in. I'll return later for a second read-through.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  6:05:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool stuff and models and info as always, Carl. Thanks for posting it all.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  8:01:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work and good information on the castings.

George

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: O scale Pram Topic Next Topic: 2019 Tribute Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000