Railroad Line Forums - Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: rsmokingus ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: More New Construction on the F&SM RR
Page: of 34

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2018 :  08:41:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, many thanks for all your detailed explanations. They are much appreciated!

1gnfan
Section Hand

Posted - 11/15/2018 :  11:33:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl,
I've been away from the forum for a little while. Damn work keeps getting in the way. Thank you so much for the vegie painting lesson. This is the first thread I turn to when I come on site because I always find useful info. Keep on modeling.

Frank R

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 11/15/2018 :  1:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Karl:

Great job on this model. It's magnificent. Like the 2 cent stamp to. Do you have the rest of the set it came from? Keep up the fantastic work.

Karl S.

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/15/2018 :  6:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
Can you please take the time to tell how you made the apple tree.
Looks like a wire armature with something applied over the wire for the trunk & branches

Thanking you in advance

Mkke

MSIGMON

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2018 :  11:14:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by postalkarl

Hey Karl:

Great job on this model. It's magnificent. Like the 2 cent stamp to. Do you have the rest of the set it came from? Keep up the fantastic work.

Karl S.

Hey Karl,

Glad you took a look at this project...thanks.

I've been collecting US commemorative stamps since I was a kid. Originally, I wanted only mint, original gum stamps but when you got into the very early issues they get VERY expensive. I looked in my old (1997) Scott catalog and a $5 Columbian( issued in 1893) was going for $5400.00. A bit out of my price range!

The 2Ę stamp in my photo belongs to the 1901 Pan American set (6 stamps) Scott catalog #'s 294-299. The Pan Americans were the third set of commemoratives issued in the US after the 1893 Columbian Exposition set and the 1898 Trans-Missisippi issues. (also called the "Omahas").

I think they are some of the most beautiful stamps ever issued. They look like little miniature paintings and when viewed under a low power microscope the detail is just incredible. I love looking at them even after all these years.

Here's the complete set I have of the 1901 Pan American issues.

Cheers,

Karl

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2018 :  12:07:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSIGMON

Karl,
Can you please take the time to tell how you made the apple tree.
Looks like a wire armature with something applied over the wire for the trunk & branches

Thanking you in advance

Mkke

Hi Mkke, or is that Mike?

Ah, yes, the apple tree...

Here's what you'll need:

1) 5" Woodland Scenic plastic tree armature WS#1103

2) Scenic Express " Super Tree " limbs (cheaper if you buy the bulk box from them)

3) Noch #08020 Lime Leaves

4) JTT (MRC) Scenery #92124 Oranges, Apples & Lemons

5) Hairspray - I use Aqua Net...it's very cheap and keeps my beard huggably soft and fresh

The WS armature is pretty lame and needs a lot of work...it's as flat as my cousin Lulu.

Anyway, you have to twist and turn the tree to get the branches pointing in different directions and then add the clump foliage or poly fiber and you'll have a tree that looks something like a furry ice cream cone.

On the other hand, if you want a nice airy looking tree you'll have to trim and add detail branches using the Super Tree limbs. I put the tree in an extra hands clamp and glue the limbs on with super glue and CA accelerator. You should end up with something like this...I glued about 40-50 limbs on this tree so it does take some time.

Now, spray the tree with your hairspray and lightly sprinkle on some of the Noch leaves - go easy - you don't want to clog up all the branches and lose the "see-through" of the tree.

Next spray on some more hairspray and, holding your hand high above the tree (like chefs when they sprinkle on salt and pepper) add some apples. Don't cover the tree with apples or it'll look like a bad LSD trip - once again, go easy with the fruit.

Give it another shot of hairspray and let it dry. After it's dry give it a light "shake" and some of the apples will fall out. I put some apples on the ground and the roof of the shed on my model. Also, I've got a Preiser squirrel eating an apple he's holding in his hands. The ladder is for people who want to pick their own apples for 50Ę a basket (baskets are under the sign).

Oh, I put a thin coat of modeling paste on the visible part of the tree trunk to give it a little edge and texture. You could also wrap and glue a small piece of crepe paper around the trunk to give it some "bark".

OK, so that's it...happy treeing

Karl O.

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/16/2018 :  1:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
Thank you for teaching me the Art Of The Apple Tree in HO Scale.
It is so nice of you to take the time to explain to me & the rest of the forum members how to do this & the other things you have done to bring Uncle Verno's to life!

It is funny spell check will check everything but your name I guess in the future I will go by MKKE

Thanks again

Mike (Spelled right this time & thanks for pointing it out)

MSIGMON

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2018 :  08:30:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl,
I too have been collecting stamps since I was a kit. I have the Pan American set in mint except the car, which is used, and the same set in used (that would be 2 sets). But I have some 20 stamp albums. Most of my stamps are pre-1950. But after a while, all the revenue and BOB and early US I have was about as far as my budget will go. I still get an odd one or two if the price is right. But I also collect Latvia, particularly the larger sheets with the German maps on the back side. Very interesting pieces. And stories.

Other I collect are Great Britain and trains on stamps, only not as much any more. But my favorite to collect are the US revenue stamps.

Seems like we have several modelers who also do the same. Be interesting to see how many of us collect things other than trains. I can include antique drawing instruments and ink wells in my collections. Also Asian Netsuke and stamps.

Interesting thoughts on the tree, I have several WS tree armatures that I thought were too toy like, I may have to have another look at them. Thanks for the tutorial.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2018 :  09:53:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I collected stamps when young but that stopped after high school. Habits die hard so when I was treasurer of an international association I collected a pile of used foreign stamps. I never did anything with them. Every so often I get the collection out but that feeling doesnít come back. I do prefer the early US stamps. Thatís a beautiful set Karl. It appeals to the antiques collector in me.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 11/17/2018 09:55:43 AM

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2018 :  6:02:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
Thanks for the tip on improving the WS trees. Already have a few of them ready to put on the Super Tree branches. I have a question about the road in front of your diorama. I have a road I need to make for my layout and was trying to figure out what type of road to put down and then I saw yours. I know you used the DecoArt chalky paint for the road. Did you just paint on the DecoArt or was there something else you had to do? Thanks.
Jeff

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2018 :  11:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Compton

Karl,
Thanks for the tip on improving the WS trees. Already have a few of them ready to put on the Super Tree branches. I have a question about the road in front of your diorama. I have a road I need to make for my layout and was trying to figure out what type of road to put down and then I saw yours. I know you used the DecoArt chalky paint for the road. Did you just paint on the DecoArt or was there something else you had to do? Thanks.
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Yes, I did use the Decoart Chalky Finish for the road. It took 2 coats so there would be just a slight crown in the middle of the road. After it was dry I gave it 2 coats of Americana Khaki acrylic craft paint with a little dark pigment brushed on in the middle of the road blended in with the Khaki paint.

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2018 :  11:26:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hello fellas,

Well, it seems like "Old Sparky" painted himself into a corner buying anything that came his way. Since he's been a "closet" street racer for years he called in his crew and said "let's build a race car"! So, the guys gathered up all the parts they could find and built Sparky his car along with a trailer to put it on and a stake bed pickup spiffed up a bit as the follow up car carrying extra parts and tools.

The old rascal has joined the NHRA and is heading to the strip with his new rail! He even added to his sign announcing the new "speed shop" venture at the garage.

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2018 :  08:14:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2018 :  08:47:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

As you think, so will you be.

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/21/2018 :  3:37:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True Hemi with a blower?
1000 Horse Power?

Sparky has a Hell Cat by the tail

Outstanding work
Thanks for posting

Mike

MSIGMON

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: More New Construction on the F&SM RR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000