Railroad Line Forums - Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 154 ]  [ Total: 163 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: More New Construction on the F&SM RR
Page: of 34

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2018 :  11:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1gnfan

Maybe a quick tutorial on the terrific looking fruits and veggies at the roadside stand (the one in the boxes, not on the young lass)

Frank R
Riverside CA

Hi Frank,

Here's how I did the fruit/veggie castings...

These are the castings I'll do here - 2, Preiser plastic and 1, Evergreen Hill metal casting. Please keep in mind how tiny these things are - the 2 large crates are 13/64"x9x32" (.2031x.2812) and the small crate is
11/64"x13/64" (.1719x.2031)...

Be sure to have nice fresh brushes to paint these little things or you'll have a real mess.
These are 3/0 and 10/0 detail brushes...

Spray the castings with a neutral color primer. I used Tamiya TS-68 Wooden Deck Tan on these...

Primed and ready to paint...

Colors I used on these...

Don't paint the entire top of the casting with your color or you'll end up with something like these. They are pre-painted castings I bought {Yikes!) that I could probably salvage with a complete new paint job...but not now! I have no idea what they are supposed to be.

Carefully paint just the top and sides of the fruits/veggies and they should look something like this...

I mix up what I guess I would call a "shadow wash". It's black pigment, 70% alcohol, Elmer's Glue and a couple drops of Kodak Photo Flo. The Photo Flo breaks the surface tension on the casting and makes the wash flow into all the little cracks and crevices. I use a 1/2 oz. airbrush jar to store the mix. I didn't include the alcohol or glue in the photo - everybody knows what they look like!

If you want a little shine on some of the produce I brush on some of this stuff...

I dribble on the "shadow wash", let it dry and then touch up any bad spots. Don't brush on the wash or you'll slop up your paint job. Just let it drip on and it finds all the spots to go...

They should look something like this now...

Well, that's about all it is...hope this helps and if you have any questions please let me know.

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Edited by - Karl Osolinski on 11/07/2018 10:18:57 PM

jsiekirk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/06/2018 :  06:56:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl

Thank you for sharing your painting technique - the vegetable crates look great.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2018 :  07:49:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the lesson, Karl.

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/06/2018 :  08:15:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, I also want to thank you for sharing what is used to paint the Fruit & Vegetables. So that I do not screw it up to bad can you please answer a few questions.
In the 1/2" Jar
How much Sinopia Pigment
How much Elmer's Glue (White Or School Glue)
After you put in the jar the above you fill the jar with 71% Alcohol & then add couple of drops of the Photo-Flo 200.(Correct)
Thanking you in advance

Mike

MSIGMON

friscomike
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2018 :  10:27:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howdy Karl,

I love the look of your veggies; you always set the standard. Nice job.

Have fun,
Mike

Okie logging camp diner (http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50236) and Okie logging camp kitchen: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47400&whichpage=1

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2018 :  10:46:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Karl - I'll put these tips in my Karl O file! As always, your work is inspiring and I still can't believe you painted seeds on the watermelons!

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2018 :  10:56:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Karl.
Always appreciate your efforts to teach and share your work with us.

As you think, so will you be.

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  3:01:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent thread Karl. It's really nice of you to share your techniques with all of us.

As usual, great build. So many little details to seek out and enjoy.

As you know, things are a little hectic around here. I will try and call you when I have a chance.

Ken

In memory of Mike Chambers

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  10:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSIGMON

Karl, I also want to thank you for sharing what is used to paint the Fruit & Vegetables. So that I do not screw it up to bad can you please answer a few questions.
In the 1/2" Jar
How much Sinopia Pigment
How much Elmer's Glue (White Or School Glue)
After you put in the jar the above you fill the jar with 71% Alcohol & then add couple of drops of the Photo-Flo 200.(Correct)
Thanking you in advance

Mike

Hi Mike,

The mix I use in the 1/2 oz. Paasche bottle:

1/8 tsp. pigment
1/8 tsp. Elmer's White Glue
Alcohol up to indent in bottle
2 drops Photo Flo

I also make a little darker mix with just a bit more of the pigment but the stuff is really intense so go easy with it - a little goes a long way.

Look what I found going through one of my part boxes... SS Ltd must have changed it to their part number however/whenever they acquired Alloy Forms.

Cheers,

Karl O.

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  08:49:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, Thank you for taking the time to show what is required to make the "Blackish" stain.
I have the 1947 Forklift on the way from SS LTD.
Lets hope my Little People @ my Fruit Stand can afford the Forklift when it arrives.

***ALSO**
Started using the Ko-Rec-Type & it goes on real good. As you said best peal paint in HO scale.
My question is the White is a little too bright do you do anything to dull yours down after applying?

Mike

MSIGMON

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 11/09/2018 :  10:05:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Karl, Thank you for taking the time to show what is required to make the "Blackish" stain.
I have the 1947 Forklift on the way from SS LTD.
Lets hope my Little People @ my Fruit Stand can afford the Forklift when it arrives.

***ALSO**
Started using the Ko-Rec-Type & it goes on real good. As you said best peal paint in HO scale.
My question is the White is a little too bright do you do anything to dull yours down after applying?

Mike

Hi Mike,

All I do is give it a very light shot of Dullcote and after it's dry a spray of alcohol/ink wash. Also, I don't always use a black ink for the wash.

Karl O.

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/10/2018 :  09:56:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
Thank You for the update on the KO REC TYPE weathering process. I will give it a try

Thanks Again,

Mike

MSIGMON

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/10/2018 :  8:11:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, I could not figure out why you painted the umbrella until mine showed up. You are right! Get out the red!
I noticed you might have also changed the umbrella pole & added a little spike at the top.
Can you please advise what you used for the pole.

Thanking you in advance.

Mike

MSIGMON

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2018 :  3:13:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Karl, I could not figure out why you painted the umbrella until mine showed up. You are right! Get out the red!
I noticed you might have also changed the umbrella pole & added a little spike at the top.
Can you please advise what you used for the pole.

Thanking you in advance.

Mike

Hi Mike,

The umbrella pole is Plastruct #90855 .040 styrene rod. The finial is just a dab of 5-minute epoxy.

Karl O.

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/12/2018 :  3:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
Thank You Very much
I would have never guessed
Tried a toothpick & O.K. if I was doing O scale

Once again you have been a great help

Mike

MSIGMON

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: More New Construction on the F&SM RR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000