Railroad Line Forums - Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: Juneco CNR 250 Ton Ice house
Page: of 34

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2018 :  10:01:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl have you ever thought of doing a "How to Book".
You know step by step on how to do these buildings, figures and details?

I'm sure there would be a lot of buyers out there who love to know the how to's!!

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

1gnfan
Section Hand

Posted - 11/02/2018 :  01:42:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe a quick tutorial on the terrific looking fruits and veggies at the roadside stand (the one in the boxes, not on the young lass)

Frank R
Riverside CA

1gnfan
Section Hand

Posted - 11/02/2018 :  01:44:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSIGMON

Karl,
I love looking at the fruit & vegetable stand,
Can you please check your notes to see where the casting detail fruits & vegetables came from.
I checked Jimmy's FSM castings & he shows some watermelon however nothing looks like the stack with the cut open sample melon.
You should be very proud of your painting on the little castings
Thanking you in advance
Mike Sigmon

Inquiring minds need to know.
Frank

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  10:48:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hello folks,

Just a few things to share here...

Had some people ask about the Ko-Rec-Type I'm using for peeling paint and if it comes in different colors. I went through my stash and found this catalog sheet from 1972...unfortunately the colors are getting pretty hard to find.

I needed to drill out some metal castings for my telephone poles so I got out my Tamiya Handy Drill. This is a neat little tool and it comes in a kit - you have to build it before you can use it! I found that there was quite a bit of wobble in the drill shaft and chuck and if drilling #80 holes (.0135) it wobbled enough to break the tiny bits. I figured it had to be the play in the nylon bearing on the drive shaft/chuck holder and recalled a place that sold racing parts for the RC car people and checked their catalog - Boca Bearings. I measured the nylon shaft/chuck bearing that came in the kit and found an exact replacement in stainless steel in the Boca catalog for $3.
Took about 5 minutes to install the new bearing and the slop was gone!!! Boca PN# MR115-ZZ Monster truck std. LXJ-G51 Clutch Bearing.

The nylon bearing that I replaced....

The bearings - side by side...

The drilled out casting with the 28 gauge (.013) wire installed - drill worked great and didn't break any bits...

I've been using the benchtop magnifier I cobbled together and it's the berries! My buddy shot this of me searching through my signs...

Well, have some other posts to reply to so that's all I have for this one...thanks.

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  11:48:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Karl,
I want to thank you very much the the great photo's. I can only imagine how much trouble it was to get a photo of the shed. Looks like you use a few of every detail ever made in that old shed.
Once again thank you & love the photo's.
You got anything more coming out in the near future for all of us to drool over?

Mike Sigmon

Hi Mike,

You're very welcome...glad they helped.

It's really no trouble to take the photos - I like doing that more than building the stuff.

I keep my photo stage set up all the time so it's nothing more than moving the lights, composing the shot and taking the photo.

This is how it looked to get the shot of the open shed. The 5" light (yellow one) was lowered to light the inside of the shed and the main and fill lights illuminated the rest of the scene.

What I don't like is taking extreme close-ups that include HO people...my disdain for them grows more with every photo I see of them.

Here's what I'm talking about...

Here's a close-up in front of Sparky's Auto...

The HO figure in real life is 13/16" tall or .8125 or, if you prefer, approximately 5'10" tall in HO scale. He's in the red circle and this is what you would see at a normal viewing distance of, let's say, 3'. Not that bad, right? The calipers show the actual size of the guy in the red circle.

Now, look at the photo again and check out the same guy in the stock photo - he's nearly 3-1/2" tall! That's over a 3:1 ratio to the actual size of the figure and he looks awful.

Another size reference is the tire rack I built - it is 11/16" wide and the tire tread labels are just a bit smaller than 1/32" and they don't look anywhere near as bad as the HO blob of a figure.

I've checked out the HO figures at Shapeways and hope to get a few to see what they look like...

Just my thoughts...perhaps I overthink stuff but that's just me.

Cheers,

Karl O
Berkley, MI

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  12:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
Thank you for the update on the KO-REC-TYPE. I have been using it & the stuff works great. Using only white never tried other colors. Checked yesterday & the stuff is now going for about $25.00.

Can you remember who the forklift was made by. Some of the forklifts in HO scale are a bit to modern looking & some are just toy looking.
If you can remember please post to the forum.
Thanking you in advance
Mike

MSIGMON

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  12:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
As I was writing about the KO-REC-TYPE your reply came in about taking the photo's. THANK YOU!!!
What is a sad problem is the amount of time that is spent painting the figure & if not careful the figure is just a blob of color up close. As you know just like you I have taken my fair share of 4 x 5 photo's in the past. Camera's have improved however the lights & lighting of the scene are still what makes the photo happen
Thank You for posting how you took the photo
Mike

MSIGMON

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  12:20:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Karl,
I love looking at the fruit & vegetable stand,
Can you please check your notes to see where the casting detail fruits & vegetables came from.
I checked Jimmy's FSM castings & he shows some watermelon however nothing looks like the stack with the cut open sample melon.
You should be very proud of your painting on the little castings
Thanking you in advance
Mike Sigmon

Hi Mike,

It's quite a long list, but here you go...

BTS (Master Creations), Best Trains, Evergreen Hill #662, Preiser #17501 & #17502, Noch #14804, JL Innovative #611, Busch #1070, Woodland Scenics #785-109 and Jimmy D's. The stands for the stuff are scratch built from styrene.

Also, a quick trip to your spice rack in the kitchen will yield some good stuff plus your model will smell nice. Try the whole celery seeds, peppercorns, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, coriander seeds, whole thyme, and ground foam for lettuce and other greens (this is not kept in our spice rack).

The watermelons aren't a single casting. I just glued some of the watermelon castings onto a skid and then filed one flat for the sliced open one. There's also a wedge of watermelon and a bowie knife on the right of the skid.

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  12:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Karl have you ever thought of doing a "How to Book".
You know step by step on how to do these buildings, figures and details?

I'm sure there would be a lot of buyers out there who love to know the how to's!!

Hi Jerry,

Thanks, but I'm not so sure about the need. There are already so many how-to's, books, dvd's, blogs, forums, You Tube, podcasts, websites and who knows what else?

I fear anything I could do would just fall through the cracks and disintegrate!

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  1:09:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Karl,
Thank you for the update on the KO-REC-TYPE. I have been using it & the stuff works great. Using only white never tried other colors. Checked yesterday & the stuff is now going for about $25.00.

Can you remember who the forklift was made by. Some of the forklifts in HO scale are a bit to modern looking & some are just toy looking.
If you can remember please post to the forum.
Thanking you in advance
Mike

Hi Mike,

Yep, the price on Ko-Rec-Type is going crazy...don't really get it. Use to be 10 a pack.

The forklift is an SS Limited (SSLtd) 1947 Clark forklift - PN# SS2454 @$14.99.

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  1:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, Thanks you for the watermelon update. Nothing like a Bowie knife & slice of melon.
Makes me want a slice of melon with dinner!

Thanks Again
Mike

MSIGMON

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  1:24:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, Thank You again for the Forklift info. I saw the Forklift @ SS LTD & was not sure that was the item
Mike

MSIGMON

1gnfan
Section Hand

Posted - 11/05/2018 :  11:01:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Karl for all the terrific information

Frank R

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/05/2018 :  12:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl,

Thanks for the terrific model-making and all the instruction alongside.

I agree about the figures. I imagine there would be ways to photograph HO scale people close up that would work, say, by avoiding faces or any features that don't scale well like hat brims. But I can't speak from experience as I have very few pictures published that include people and those that have been are at a distance or aren't focusing on the figure as much.

Glad to hear you don't keep ground foam in the spice rack.

Does Sparky really buy anything?

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/05/2018 :  12:50:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, and that is a REALLY COOL little drill!

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: Juneco CNR 250 Ton Ice house  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000