Railroad Line Forums - Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: Juneco CNR 250 Ton Ice house
Page: of 34

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2018 :  6:18:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, you crack me up.

As you think, so will you be.

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2018 :  12:33:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl now that I am retired I have time to catch up on my forum reading. As always your work is excellent. I really like all the buildings and the detail work. I have also picked up ideas for things to try on my layout now that I have time to work on it. Everything looks great. Looking forward to seeing more of this project. Keep the photos coming.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 10/06/2018 :  11:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KarlO.....We finally caught up for our usual "quick" chat, that lasts an hour.....The final finishes ( weathering ) on the projects, are simply amazing...talk again soon mate..."M"

Here is the link you requested..hope it works for you....https://www.facebook.com/pg/Miniature-Dioramas-Modelling-Structures-Scenery-392190704238509/photos/?tab=album&album_id=868328586624716&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARCfAjkB23ERbt-THXQOxqP91bon7a-tkb1OIGoRIenUfiAdgg3Mc1-415PTEBIDSMj6BBD0y_emCxndw0BYpi3u49dh9NNWV07Q6k12fqK-VH8swS6dPRMooySvIgZX6RRq2DStO3siopjacOzJ22PMPylaEEMpVipsILzPWpRNRLOQFtAc&__tn__=-UC-R

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/08/2018 :  04:43:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just had an enjoyable 15 minutes browsing back through all you recent updates, Karl. Thanks for showing us all you work and your sense of humour. Keep up the great work!

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/08/2018 :  11:49:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ditto to what others have said about catching up on this thread. And ditto to what you have said about figures. I found a tremendous deal on Preiser figures representing people from the 1920s - VERY hard to find at a reasonable price, but they are unpainted. I have a nice set of very fine brushes for such detail work, but have yet to take them from the package. At some point I will have to paint these little folks if I want to populate my miniature world with era-appropriate figures.

I am not in need of an optivisor...yet, but I fear that day is soon approaching as I rely increasingly on my magnifying lamp for fine work. How do you like yours, and can you recommend one? I know some are pricey.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 10/10/2018 :  11:31:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi fellas,

Been getting more done on this project and again "thanks" to the folks following along.

I built or "customized" vehicles for the scene the last couple days. Mostly Jordans with Wheelworks, Busch, Mini Metals and some Athearns thrown in the mix...

I had some problems covering the Texaco lettering on this Busch truck until I found this stuff...it covered the lettering with one coat.

The finished truck....

I use a turntable to move the models into position for photos but the one I had was way too low. I whipped up this new 4" high turntable using gator board and Liquid Nails and it's perfect for shooting the photos...

If you use a turntable when shooting your photos just be careful to lock it during the exposure or you could end up with something like this..! I use a piece of 1/8" foam to lock mine.

I've been searching the web for different craft acrylic paint thinner mixes and ended up getting a lot of different chemicals to make the recipes I found...

After all the fussing and mixing I think I'm gonna' stick with my trusty blue windshield washer fluid...

I saw that Jimmy Deignan bought all the FSM casting stuff from George Sellios and is starting to cast and sell the fine FSM detail castings. They are really nice and it's great to be able to get the detail parts that have been included in Fine Scale Miniature kits for years. I have no affiliation with Jimmy D...heck, I've never spoken to the man but I'm sure glad to see these castings available to us...

This is the power junction weatherheadÖ

I've been tying to decide which sign to put on this Jordan truck...any thoughts?

I've often lost my patience when gluing down the little folks but this glue really works. Just dip the legs in a blob of it and let it sit for a couple minutes and stick 'em down...works like magic.

Well, I think that's about all I have for now and thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  12:29:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I am not in need of an optivisor...yet, but I fear that day is soon approaching as I rely increasingly on my magnifying lamp for fine work. How do you like yours, and can you recommend one? I know some are pricey.

Galen
[/quote]

Hi Galen,

I do use an OptiVisor but after a few hours they can be kind of uncomfortable. I tried some stand-type magnifiers and they made things a bit easier during a long painting session but I found the bases way too light and the magnifiers were prone to tipping over...not a good thing with all the stuff on my bench.

Anyway, I decided to build a stand magnifier with parts I could find laying around in my workroom.

I'm quite interested in astrophotography and got a rather large telescope (think 40 gallon water heater) to use for my work. So, after equipping the main scope with all the photo guiding telescopes (3" refractor and 4" reflector) the extra weight they added made it necessary to get more counterweights to keep the thing balanced and the motor drive working properly. I replaced the 3# weights with 6# weights and it all worked out just fine and I had the 3# weights sitting on my workbench to use as weights when gluing on structure bracing.

Then I thought...those 3# weights would be perfect for my bench magnifier project!! I found an old desk-microphone base, a gooseneck and a good size magnifier. I was in business...

Some JB Weld and black paint and the job was complete and I guarantee this thing won't tip over! To finish it off I added an Eagle Canyon RR badge to cover the hole in the center of the weight.

It might look goofy but it really works...

Cheers,

Karl O
Berkley, MI

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  08:10:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great tips Karl. Thanks for sharing. Love those little trucks.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  08:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another tip filled post by Karl.
I vote for the Auto City truck.

For a minute there I thought you were going to tell us you use the telescope to paint HO figures.

Thanks Karl.

As you think, so will you be.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  10:09:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl

Indeed, lots of useful information. I think Iíll grab the latest coupon and head to Michaelís to see if they have the Aleeneís.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2018 :  11:56:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi fellas,

Well, finish a couple telephone poles and wires, put some vehicles around, a few more people and this thing should be done...

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2018 :  10:33:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is one beautiful scene!! Wonderful work Karl!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/16/2018 :  9:16:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl,

Your magnifier doesn't look goofy at all - quite the opposite, I would easily believe you if you said you bought it like that.

They say the details make the difference and this diorama, once again, bears that out. REALLY nicely done!

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

John B.
New Hire

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  10:34:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HELLO! I noticed a couple of 'melons' in front of Uncle Verno's fruit and veggie stand....

1gnfan
Section Hand

Posted - 10/27/2018 :  2:06:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably too late but I vote for the mouse trap sign on the truck.

I'm sure may of us notice the "earthly delights" in front of the fruit stand but too restrained to comment.

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: Juneco CNR 250 Ton Ice house  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000