Railroad Line Forums - Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: rsmokingus ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: More New Construction on the F&SM RR
Page: of 34

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  3:18:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hello folks,

Well, here goes another of my "wandering all over the place" posts. Seems like since I got back into this stuff it doesn't bother me anymore to have more than one thing going on at a time.

I got another Woodland Scenics person done. This one was a little more fussy. I had to lop his bean off and then find a suitable replacement for it. The first one (SSLtd) was too big, the second one (Preiser) was too small but the third one (Musket Miniatures) was just right. Here he is before the operation...not a particularly handsome fellow.

Here he is with his new grill and basket...

and with his WS buddy...

Wanted to put an umbrella over the watermelons so I found this Preiser one but it needed some color. I cut some Greenfrog tape into thin strips and masked and painted every other section and got this. The tape really works with very little bleed through...

the finished umbrella...

Been making a bunch of trees for the scene. I like making them...kind of relaxing. Here are a bare nekkid pine tree and apple tree...

I was going to use Decoart Sandstone for the road in front of the buildings but my jar of the stuff was as hard as a month old bagel. After searching, it seems that Decoart doesn't call it Sandstone any more so if your looking and can't find it - here's why...they changed the name. The old stuff is on the right...

I wanted to put the apples on my tree but the static from them made them stick to everything but my tree. So, out came my trusty, old Ilford Antistatic cloth. A quick wipe of the envelope and plastic cup and no more problem! I used these things to wipe down 4x5 and 8x10 sheet film holders before loading in the film...no dust or static to mess with the very expensive sheet film...

the planted apple tree..

Been working on the scenery...actually starting to see some progress.

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  4:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Karl,

Regarding the deco Art texture paints. Don't throw that jar of Deco Art Sandstone away. My wife gave me some from her Ceramics room collection, and she revived the stuff with a little water, not too much though. Just stir it in. Unless...it is totally rock hard...

Rich

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  5:07:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Karl very nice indeed!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

John B.
New Hire

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  9:23:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, It seems that your last few projects have grown and expanded as you built them....I mean they're really getting BIG!
Care to comment? ...Love the fruits and veggies!!!

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  11:27:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Hello Karl,

Regarding the deco Art texture paints. Don't throw that jar of Deco Art Sandstone away. My wife gave me some from her Ceramics room collection, and she revived the stuff with a little water, not too much though. Just stir it in. Unless...it is totally rock hard...

Rich

Hi Rich,

Yes, thanks. I've thinned this old bottle of Sandstone down several times but I used blue windshield washer rather than plain water - seemed to flow and mix a little better.

There was so little left in this old bottle I just tossed it out.

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  11:50:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John B.

Karl, It seems that your last few projects have grown and expanded as you built them....I mean they're really getting BIG!
Care to comment? ...Love the fruits and veggies!!!

Hi John,

Yep, you're right! This thing started out 10"x20" and now it's 13"x33". You've been downstairs here more than anybody and you know how much room there is down there - none!. I think that last whack I got on the old coconut made me a bit dizzy.

Thanks for noticing the fruits and veggies. I thought I'd save some time and work by buying some pre-painted ones but, as you can see by these examples, that didn't work out real well.

the store-bought ones...not much to look at, eh?

and the ones I painted...took some time but I'm pleased with how they came out...

Cheers,

Karl

Edited by - Karl Osolinski on 09/09/2018 11:52:19 PM

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/10/2018 :  07:00:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl, Truly fantastic work in all areas, structures, figures, details, scenery, make up
into a wonderful whole scene.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/10/2018 :  07:39:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome Karl!

Mike

jsiekirk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/10/2018 :  08:36:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl

Fantastic work!

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/10/2018 :  4:30:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, looks good!

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2018 :  11:09:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, you're the master...love your work!
Dave

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 09/15/2018 :  1:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! Karl! It's all in the details...I repeat...it's all in the details...and the model building, the weathering, the placement of items. Truly outstanding!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2018 :  2:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Howdy fellas,

First, thanks to the folks following along and all the kind replies...I appreciate them all.

OK, I've got a gripe...now I still like building models whether it's structures, vehicles, details. Whatever - I enjoy it. But, you know what I really don't like at all? PAINTING PEOPLE! I hate it for a couple reasons. First, the time it takes. I just spent 10 hours in my cave painting 8 people and they are really pretty average. Second, HO people are just terrible blobs of plastic or metal. I've tried my best to make them look OK but, honestly, they are just not very good.

Here I am preparing to go at them with great vigor...

Then, after 10 hours I was bent over and tired like the old man that I am..

And had nothing better than these to show for it...the 6 others behind the painted ones just might go in the wastebasket.

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about...on most of them I can't tell where the face ends and the body begins. Others have multiple parting lines, circles on their backs from the mold ejection pins and heads that are too big or too small...

I'm thinking I should get a bunch of these and take a sculpting class...

Or, perhaps move on to a larger scale and bigger paint brushes...

Anyway, now that I've got that off my chest, here is a shot of some of the people at the big event in front of Verno's. Looks like Gene's biggest fan is in the crowd!

If anyone would like a copy of the uncensored version, please write or call... after all, this is a family forum.

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2018 :  4:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always used Preiser figures. Unpainted, in bulk. A bit pricey but well worth it.

1gnfan
Section Hand

Posted - 09/29/2018 :  5:08:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have spent a good part of Saturday reading this thread. I love Karl's postings. He has one of those minds that refuses to walk a straight line. So with a topic that started as tenements and so far has made it to a fruit stand with a small detour about cameras and trees. This should be renamed "Karl's wisdom" and stickied up front so we can refer to it often.

Thank-you Karl for all of it.

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: More New Construction on the F&SM RR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000