Railroad Line Forums - Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 122 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: Juneco CNR 250 Ton Ice house
Page: of 34

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/27/2018 :  09:38:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
Love the little false front building...the sagging roof along with the exterior plumbing and smoke stacks really make it pop!
Dave

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 06/27/2018 :  4:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Buddy:

All is looking great.

Karl S.

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2018 :  12:54:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello fellas,

Been making some good progress on this little scene but there are a ton of small details that have to be made so it's taking a bit of time. As I'm moving along, I do have some new things to kind of "show and tell".

I've been using a new craft paint thinner mix that I got from Red Dragon Model Works. So far, the results have been excellent with any of the inexpensive craft paints I have. It's a pretty simple formula:

3 ounces blue windshield washer
3 ounces distilled water
1-2 ounces 91% rubbing alcohol
10-15 drops glycerin

Mix craft paint and prepared thinner 50/50 and you're ready to spray.

I gotta' say this stuff really works. It didn't matter whether I used a gravity feed or a siphon feed airbrush - 25-30 PSI and they both worked fine and the glycerine keeps the paint from drying too fast and clogging the needle/air tip.

I sprayed the roof on this Ford AA panel truck with Americana (DecoArt) #DA095 Neutral Gray and it's as smooth as any solvent-based paint that I've used.

[/url]
119.83 KB

The finished truck...

I can't recall if I've shown this before but it's an easy way to get different rock castings from the same molds. All I do is pour in the plaster and then roll the mold up and wrap some rubber bands around it. I've got dozens of different castings from the same mold by just using more/less plaster and folding the mold up in different shapes.

Here is the standard Woodland Scenics Rock Mold #C1242...

Here it is all rolled up...

And here is the casting from the rolled up mold...

I have a "ring bell for service" on the porch of the mercantile and wanted it to have that green tarnish (patina) from being in the elements. I tried different diluted paints but didn't care for the look. I found this stuff at a jewelry supply and it worked great on my brass bell...

Here's where I'm at with lots more to do...

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2018 :  08:24:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its so good to see you back at the bench.

Thanks for the tips.

Its really coming along nicely Karl.

Thanks again for the update.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2018 :  1:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bud:

This thing is looking just great. Always appreciate seeing your work.

Karl S.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2018 :  6:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not only excellent modeling but ingenious tips too.
Thank you Karl.

As you think, so will you be.

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2018 :  9:03:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK...I just have to ask...you go to a jewelry supply and find a bottle of patina...what's the chances of that?????

Great stuff Karl

In memory of Mike Chambers

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2018 :  9:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karl Osolinski

I see you have all the standard modeling tools.

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  10:29:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello folks,

So, I was beginning to work on the scenery for these models and built a wooden fence for behind the auto electric shop...

As I was installing the fence I noticed something moving in the open shed to the left of the fence and saw this beast sitting in the middle of the shed - like he built it...

Now I don't like bugs of any kind but spiders are the worst and this guy had to go. I grabbed a can of Testor's Dullcote and sprayed a nice even coat on the monster. After a bit of stumbling and staggering (him not me) he went into slow motion and fell over - dead as a door nail!

I guess the only moral of this story is...modeling can be a dangerous game!

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Edited by - Karl Osolinski on 08/08/2018 11:06:33 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  11:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its called working the bugs out!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 08/13/2018 :  07:26:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Buddy:

The model looks great. Glad you got the spidy b4 he got you.

Me

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  10:16:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello folks,

Well, the saga continues. I figured since old Uncle Verno advertises "produce" on his main sign he should probably have a produce stand outside the main store.

This is a pretty simple structure and started life as a JL Innovative kit that I ended up building board-by-board. For the last couple days I've been painting and assembling the fruits, veggies and bins to put in the scene. These photos are not the way all the stuff will end up - just a couple shots to get an idea of how I hope to set it all up. I still have a lot more castings to paint so it's back to the cave.

Thanks to all the folks who have followed along and commented on this project..

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Edited by - Karl Osolinski on 08/22/2018 4:21:27 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  11:12:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What great detail work Karl.

Another outstanding piece to the diorama.

Jerry

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  07:27:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice.

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 08/22/2018 :  4:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello folks,

Some time ago, I bought some of the Woodland Scenics little people. Now, since I pretty much never leave the house, I had no way of knowing what they looked like in person so I bought them sight unseen off the internet. To say the least, they were pretty disappointing. They all have that Pillsbury dough boy look, the colors were awful, painting was not very good and the faces were nasty. The buttons on shirts and coats were the size of a frisbee and mold parting lines were everywhere.

Well, they've been sitting on a shelf for a very long time and I have never really used any of them. Today I decided to see what I could do with a few of them...

Here's a photo of a stock figure on the left and one of the ones I worked on today. Please remember that the figures are 13/16" (.8125) tall and on the screen here they are 2-1/4" tall...so, if my lowly figurin' skills are correct that's 176% bigger than the actual size of the critter...I really didn't expect any math skills to be involved in this.

Anyway, at a regular viewing distance the re-done guy doesn't look all that bad so I'm gonna' do a few more of them and see what I can salvage.

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: Juneco CNR 250 Ton Ice house  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000