Railroad Line Forums - Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 146 ]  [ Total: 154 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: More New Construction on the F&SM RR
Page: of 34

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/17/2018 :  9:11:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
Seeing how we are on the topic of Earl Smallshaw & I know how he has influenced me over the years on his modeling I have a question.
I dug out a copy of The Gazette September/October 1998 to see an article Earl did on Sign Change. I know Karl you also did something like this on you G.Wilikers (Roberts Machine) build.
I know that Earl used a billboard once made by Wales Junction (PostalKarl). Does anyone know if these billboard kits have any directions on the overall size & also the sizes of the wood or styrene that is used
I like the billboard that you made for the J & K Photo store. All the framing gives the billboard a lot of caricature
1 last thing the signs that the little workers are putting up on Earls sign does anyone out there know what they are
Mike Sigmon

MSIGMON

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/17/2018 :  10:06:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, On page 14 the Drug Store! Everytime I look at the photo's from the start of stucco to page 14 the color of the stucco looks different. I know a a lot of that is due to color in balance. Can you please check your notes & tell me the brand name of the paint & what color you used for the plastic store front casting & the stucco walls.
On the drug store casting did you use Microscope Glass or something else
A few of your different buildings I have notice window air units. what casting did you use for those

Mike Sigmon

MSIGMON

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  07:41:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
I want to thank you very much for taking the time to respond to some of my questions.
1) The Bar Mills Laundry. I did not know that these were available (thank you for the suggestion). I have some on order & I will wait to see how you are able to add some wrinkles in the clothing.
2) The clothesline pulley's. After looking at the different photo's (thank you for going to all of the trouble to shoot those photo's) I have on order some Grandt Line Casting #5054.
3) The Jordan "Highway Miniatures" steam crane. I never knew Vintage Vehicle / Highway Miniatures were the same (Father/Son) & want to thank you for the history lesson on the two. I for one do not know how many people out there can surly appreciate the time & effort that goes into building one of these "Little Cranes". You Karl Osolinski are a true artist/craftsman at this hobby.
4) I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to talk to me last night & give me some modeling ideas on my try on building Tenement Row
Thank You Again,
Mike Sigmon

MSIGMON

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  4:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello folks,

Well no construction photos but, instead "getting ready for scenery" photos!

I decided to break out the Noch Gras-Master and make up some scenery blobs for the backyards and alleys that will be part of the tenement landscape. The thing really does work and I only got a minor shock using it...

Anyway, these little tufts are really small. I'm gonna' whip up a bunch of these with a lot of different colors and length of the weeds and grass. These samples I did are with the 2.5mm and the 5mm grass.

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Edited by - Karl Osolinski on 02/23/2018 6:48:06 PM

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  5:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I gotta ask Karl...
Macro lens or extension tubes?
--Rich

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  6:20:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, it was great catching up with you on the phone today.

That first picture is awesome.

Grass looks real good.

As you think, so will you be.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  8:31:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, Nice tufts! Much of the static grass that I've seen has a lot of it laying down like it was mowed or trampled, but yours looks supercharged!

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  10:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichBeau

So I gotta ask Karl...
Macro lens or extension tubes?
--Rich

Hi Rich,

Sure thing...

30mm/f2.8 Sony Macro SAL (Sony Alpha lens)
ISO 400, 1/40th@F8, manual white balance, 2700K

The little cow standing in the grass (another awful HO scale figure) is 19/32" long. I didn't compute how much he is enlarged in the photo but you can really see how bad HO figures are.

Cheers,

Karl

Edited by - Karl Osolinski on 02/23/2018 10:16:02 PM

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2018 :  03:12:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl...great photo of you
You haven't changed a bit

cheers mate

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2018 :  11:00:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi fellas,

Well, the bridge building has been going full steam ahead around here...I've built 5 bridges and I don't like any of them. The first 72' long steel deck girder was too long, the second 30' long steel deck girder was too short.

So, I decided to go for the "wood" look and built these 2 in the last few days. The small one is 16' long but it's not high enough, the other one is 34' long and it could be deemed "OK" but I'm not sure. The last one (not pictured) is a 100' long deck timber bridge that might fit better on a layout the size of the F&SM...certainly not my little diorama.

After all this, I still don't have a bridge I like well enough to take to the dance...it's back to the drawing board and bench and start staining more wood. This is really getting crazy for one stinking little bridge that, more than likely, nobody will ever see.

Dilly, dilly to bridge building...

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/25/2018 :  12:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
WOW!!
If you want wood build with wood
Yes Dilly Dilly you are a true friend of the crown
You might just be the CROWN
Thanks for posting, The detail & the color of the wood is spot on
Look out E Bay Karl has bridges for sale
Mike Sigmon

MSIGMON

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2018 :  12:41:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice coloring Karl.

What did you use to get that coloring and tone??

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2018 :  3:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Nice coloring Karl.

What did you use to get that coloring and tone??

Hi Jerry,

After the flood we had in our basement all the notes, notebooks and index cards I had concerning my models were destroyed and thrown out. Most of the stuff was "how-to" things about coloring, weathering, structure building, tool tips, shortcuts and general model-making.

Recently, since I've been back to building models, I just don't take the time to write all the things down like I use to and I've gone back to the "trial and error" method. I think the other way I did things would be too much like starting all over again...and at 73 years old I'm not sure that's the way to go.

So, now I'm going to rely on my memory and the occasional note if something seems important and helpful in my model building.

Ok, then...these are what I used to color the wooden bridges. I don't have a formula, just a drop here and a drop there, until I got the color I liked (mixed with rubbing alcohol). If you get the mix too dark just add more alcohol to lighten it.

I'm sure you'll get the idea when you start playing with these inks - they are very intense and a little goes a long, long way. The burnt umber alone and diluted makes a really nice color for railroad ties, fences, wooden barrels and other raw wood items.

Hope this explains things and helps you out a little...

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2018 :  5:08:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/16/2018 :  10:58:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely amazing.

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: More New Construction on the F&SM RR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000