Railroad Line Forums - Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: rsmokingus ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: More New Construction on the F&SM RR
Page: of 34

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  7:25:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
Sent you a private message. If you did not get it let me know

Mike Sigmon

MSIGMON

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  8:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hello folks,

Thanks to everyone who has been following along on this thread and for the kind replies...I appreciate all the comments.

A few fellas have asked what the other side walls on the photo shop look like so I took a few shots showing all the walls...

Thanks again for the interest in the models.

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  12:48:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, Thank you for posting the photo's.
The color of the brick work is spot on.
I will give you a call this week

Mike

MSIGMON

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  10:13:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hello,

I plan to have an above the road track level behind the tenement models so I built this plate girder bridge. I've had the kit for probably 15 years and thought it might work for the look I'm going for.

Here's the kit I used...

The kit is all plastic with an interesting way to attach the rail...you place the rail between the rows of spikes and push the spikes down with a flat nose punch. I needed to connect 3 of the pieces to match the length of the bridge.

After a lot of coloring attempts I finally got something I liked and that didn't look like plastic.

I've also got a timber truss bridge I'm building so I can pick the one I like the best...more later.

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  12:00:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job for being plastic. What brand paints did you use to get the coloring?

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  04:55:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OUTSTANDING paint job which seems to be the usual for you.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  10:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Great job for being plastic. What brand paints did you use to get the coloring?

I'll tell you, Jerry, this 10" long strip of plastic ties turned into the biggest pain in the butt that I've dealt with in a long time.
I must have tried 50 different mixes of oils, pigments, paints and sprays and still not sure how I ended up with what I've got now. These are just a few of the things I tried...

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  11:26:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, the old "hit or miss" technique. Always works for me. Ok, maybe, not always.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  11:46:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Karl.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  5:00:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, Nice work on everything you build.

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  12:19:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
I took a little bit to go back to the Model Railroad issue of Modeling Tenements by Smallshaw.
For some reason I became intrigued with the back yard look of the tenements. The laundry hanging from poles to the back porches. I do not know if you plan on modeling any of this look however in my Tenements I am planing I for sure will.The way that Earl Smallshaw described building the clothesline poles with pulleys is interesting. I would only think that from February 1989 there would have to be a better pulley casting in HO Scale. If you are any of the members of the forum can suggest such a detail part please advise

Thanks, Mike Sigmon

MSIGMON

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  09:34:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
karl,
Dug out an another old copy of Model Railroader August 1988 to look at another Smallshaw article.
This one involves demolition a building next to the tenements. What caught my eye was a Jordon type crane. Although I think Earl used a Vintage Vehicle crane. If you have enough real estate you could add your Jordon Crane to knock down a building. Who knows you might even have a Vintage Vehicle Crane you have just about everything else.

Mike Sigmon

MSIGMON

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  08:22:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSIGMON

Karl,
I took a little bit to go back to the Model Railroad issue of Modeling Tenements by Smallshaw.
For some reason I became intrigued with the back yard look of the tenements. The laundry hanging from poles to the back porches. I do not know if you plan on modeling any of this look however in my Tenements I am planing I for sure will.The way that Earl Smallshaw described building the clothesline poles with pulleys is interesting. I would only think that from February 1989 there would have to be a better pulley casting in HO Scale. If you are any of the members of the forum can suggest such a detail part please advise

Thanks, Mike Sigmon

Hi Mike,

Yep, the clothes hanging on the line are one of the elements that really make the scene and I will certainly have them on my model.

Bar Mills makes a set of hanging laundry on the lines complete with clothes pins holding the duds. They need to be wrinkled up a bit but I think they could work. Maybe some tissue paper glued on the clothes - wrinkled up and trimmed to fit...or some gesso or texture paint??

Earl's method for the pulleys was pretty clever, I thought. Also, it would be easy to chuck a piece of styrene rod in a Dremel and use a triangle shaped mini file to turn it down to a pulley shape. Here are some pulleys I found in my stuff. Please keep in mind these photos are at extremely high magnification but I'd rate them Grandt Line #1, Campbell #2 and the Model Masterpieces a distant 3rd...these are extremely small parts in real life. The Grandt line comes in at .028 or just under 1/32" wide, the Campbell is .062 1/16" and the Model Masterpiece is .033 just over 1/32"...

The Grandt Line should be easy to get but the Campbell and Model Masterpieces not so much.
I use to order all the plastic parts from the Campbell 50,000 gallon water tank kit direct from Leo Campbell. I'd get 20 sets (I was building a lot of water towers) for $10 bucks. Not sure the new folks at Campbell will do that kind of stuff. The Model Masterpieces are long gone but you might find them on Ebay.

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  09:10:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSIGMON

karl,
Dug out an another old copy of Model Railroader August 1988 to look at another Smallshaw article.
This one involves demolition a building next to the tenements. What caught my eye was a Jordon type crane. Although I think Earl used a Vintage Vehicle crane. If you have enough real estate you could add your Jordon Crane to knock down a building. Who knows you might even have a Vintage Vehicle Crane you have just about everything else.

Mike Sigmon

Hello, again Mike,

This is probably what you're looking at...

It's not a Jordan "type" crane - it is a Jordan Erie B-2 Crane that Earl put a wrecking ball on the end of the boom instead of the hook from the kit. And yes, it was a Vintage Vehicle kit back then. Vintage Vehicle was the original name of the manufacturer of the Jordan vehicles. Some time later the name was changed to Jordan Highway Miniatures but all the kits were unchanged and identical to the Vintage Vehicle named kits. The kit was available as the Erie B-2 Crane or Steam Shovel - the only difference being the boom arm supplied in each kit.

For a long time the Erie B-2 was not shown in the Jordan catalog and early Vintage Vehicle kits became quite a collectors item. I saw the kits go as high as $100 for either one. Then, all of a sudden, Jordan Jackson (the owner of Jordan) decided to reissue the B-2's about 10 years ago - the kit was identical to the Vintage Vehicle offering and became an instant best seller.

I decided to buy a bunch of the kits, build them and sell them. I ended up building 16 of the crane/shovel kits for some folks and I never ended up with a built up model for myself. I would build them 2 at a time and they sold very quickly. Fortunately, I still have 5 of the unopened kits and will certainly build one for the building being demolished on my model. If you look closely at the photo of the scene in Model Railroader there is a B-2 steam shovel peeking out in the right corner!

The kit...

A few of the ones I built...

I was constantly calling Jordan Jackson and ordering different parts from him...probably was a real pain in the neck but he always sent me what I needed. Good guy and sorry to see his passing...

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Edited by - Karl Osolinski on 02/15/2018 09:33:51 AM

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  09:32:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's GREAT kit.
Not in my scale so I scratchbuilt one in 1/24 scale using the fantastic set of drawings in the kit.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: More New Construction on the F&SM RR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000