Railroad Line Forums - Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: rsmokingus ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: More New Construction on the F&SM RR
Page: of 34

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  1:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
I built my HO railroad following Malcolm's San Juan Central book. Malcolm is a great inspiration and modeler.
Thanks for the memories.
Dave

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  10:25:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, is there a web site for those monster brick walls?

Could use a couple of those.

In memory of Mike Chambers

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  11:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marken

Karl, is there a web site for those monster brick walls?

Could use a couple of those.

monstermodelworks.com

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/19/2017 :  1:21:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, I just for fun I dug out a project that you did back in 2009!
Psycho...The Bates Mansion
Good stuff on peal paint. Just wonder how much different products you would use to scratch build the Bates House if you had to do it again today.
Do you think using Monster Brick sheets you could get the same foundation look? In using Monster LAZERBOARD OLD BRICK and painting it the Craft Paints you used back then & applying Sinopia pigments could we get the same look as using your Trains of Texas castings.
I also liked the way you were able to match the color of the Grandt Line window castings to the weathered basswood walls.
Boy this will make your system start smoking up the room
Mike Sigmon

MSIGMON

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  4:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSIGMON

Karl, I just for fun I dug out a project that you did back in 2009!
Psycho...The Bates Mansion
Good stuff on peal paint. Just wonder how much different products you would use to scratch build the Bates House if you had to do it again today.
Do you think using Monster Brick sheets you could get the same foundation look? In using Monster LAZERBOARD OLD BRICK and painting it the Craft Paints you used back then & applying Sinopia pigments could we get the same look as using your Trains of Texas castings.
I also liked the way you were able to match the color of the Grandt Line window castings to the weathered basswood walls.
Boy this will make your system start smoking up the room
Mike Sigmon

Hi Mike,

I don't feel that I'd use anything different to build the Bates house today than I used in 2009. The plaster walls I used back then could be easily replaced with the Monster Old brick that I'm using now and with a lot less mess than cutting window and door holes in plaster.

The 1/32" and .015 brick sheets that Monster offers now make cutting the openings quick and painless using nothing more than a #11 blade. I've colored them with the same craft paints and pigments and feel they look every bit as good as the plaster walls. An example of the Monster brick painted exactly like the plaster walls and the corner parts make the joints almost perfect...

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Edited by - Karl Osolinski on 12/22/2017 06:59:01 AM

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  6:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,I hope I do not upset anyone but I feel Monster Bricks look more in scale than those from Trains of Texas!

MSIGMON

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  10:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Karl,I hope I do not upset anyone but I feel Monster Bricks look more in scale than those from Trains of Texas!

Mike,

You do realize that those 2 photos are of Monster brick, and not Trains of Texas, right?
Here's a photo of the walls before painting and assembling and the finished building.

Karl O.

Edited by - Karl Osolinski on 12/21/2017 10:50:50 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  11:52:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl just beautiful brick work. Coloring fine but the mortar lines perfect.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/22/2017 :  12:04:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Karl just beautiful brick work. Coloring fine but the mortar lines perfect.

I wouldn't agree more! I second that statement.
Rich

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/22/2017 :  04:10:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, Thank you for pointing out that the two color wall sections were both Monster Bricks. In error I thought that the top photo of the two walls with no windows was Monster & the bottom photo was with the windows was Trains of Texas.

With that said & the ease of cutting out for windows & doors a person would be crazy not to try using the Monster

You say the brick from Monster comes in 1/16" & .015
I checked their site & it only shows
.015" Lazerboard
1/32" Basswood
1/8" Basswood
If I am not wrong the Lazerboard is a better product & will not warp as much as basswood. No mater what you would order a person would still need to brace
One problem that I see using .015" Lazerboard is the corner pieces they only come 1/8".
Looks like you used 1/8" on Yehudah's.
If you use .015 (1/64") the window & door castings would just stick inside the building. Still a lot better to cut out instead of 1/8"

Mike Sigmon

MSIGMON

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 12/22/2017 :  07:11:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Karl, Thank you for pointing out that the two color wall sections were both Monster Bricks. In error I thought that the top photo of the two walls with no windows was Monster & the bottom photo was with the windows was Trains of Texas.

With that said & the ease of cutting out for windows & doors a person would be crazy not to try using the Monster

You say the brick from Monster comes in 1/16" & .015
I checked their site & it only shows
.015" Lazerboard
1/32" Basswood
1/8" Basswood
If I am not wrong the Lazerboard is a better product & will not warp as much as basswood. No mater what you would order a person would still need to brace
One problem that I see using .015" Lazerboard is the corner pieces they only come 1/8".
Looks like you used 1/8" on Yehudah's.
If you use .015 (1/64") the window & door castings would just stick inside the building. Still a lot better to cut out instead of 1/8"

Mike Sigmon

Hi Mike,

Yep, my mistake. The Monster brick does not come in 1/16". I corrected my post.

As for the corner edges on the .015 brick the stuff is so thin that all I do is use an overlap joint and it blends right together after it 's painted. Or, get some Northeastern angle stock and make a nice corner with the molding.

Also, I turn any window into a masonry part just by reversing it and gluing it in from the back of the wall.

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Edited by - Karl Osolinski on 12/22/2017 07:42:52 AM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/22/2017 :  08:43:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karl Osolinski

Also, I turn any window into a masonry part just by reversing it and gluing it in from the back of the wall.

For double-hung windows, be sure to turn the window casting Upside Down, so the sashes are aligned correctly. (Bottom sash should be on the interior.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 12/22/2017 08:49:07 AM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/31/2017 :  2:06:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just looking to see if Karl has done anymore.

Hopefully 2018 will see this wonderful thread finished up!!

Karl Happy New Year to you and Janice!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2017 :  2:12:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi fellas,

Well, this photo should show why I really don't like chopping out holes in 3/16" thick plaster. If it wasn't for the Roto Zip saber saw drills, I'd still be hacking away at these walls.

Anyway, I found some more Downtown Deco kits that made it through the flood and thought I could use a few of them for this build. I'm making quite a few changes to them and like the way they are coming along. The brick building in the above photo will be a photo supply shop. The brick is Monster Old brick on .015 lazerboard. It's just the first layer of color on it so far.

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/31/2017 :  5:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,

Tedious work, but I like what you're doing here.

Happy New Year, to you and Janice!! May we all have a healthy and prosperous new year.

Rich

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: More New Construction on the F&SM RR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000