Railroad Line Forums - Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: Juneco CNR 250 Ton Ice house
Page: of 34

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  12:13:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Thanks very much Karl. As always, your posts are quite an inspiration, and I as well as a host of other people, am glad you are back here!
Yes, I think I need to buy some of that stuff. Boy, am I glad I asked my question now!

I do have some real dirt, that I plan on sifting through brass screens, to see if I can use any of that first.

THANK YOU SIR!
Rich

Hi Rich,

I never could understand sifting your own dirt. I figure with all the critters running around in our backyard the last thing I wanna' do is play in the dirt...the raccoons, deer, possum, ducks or geese (the ones that have to walk a lot), turkeys, wild dogs, mice and all sorts of other vermin I'm out of that picture. The dirt shall stay outside.

You know what else I could never understand?
Answer: Using an eyedropper to put your diluted Elmer's and water onto the layout or diorama. Seems painfully labor intensive to me.

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  12:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Karl,
Wanda's diorama is the perfect example of Road/pathways that are found on many of your builds. Would you mind explaining how you do them? Some use an emery board to rough up the surface, then add dirt, rubbing that in with their fingers, but I am finding it difficult to achieve a real look to mine. I have been using grout, but mine don't have your look. Thanks
Rich

Hi Rich,

Here are a few examples of my "country roads" and how they sort of evolved.

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  12:35:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice, thanks Karl, keep the pictures coming!
Rich

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  1:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great scenes!
Thanks for answering Rich's "how to" question. Your answer will help many of us.
Dave

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  1:15:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl just how do you put down the white glue??

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  1:17:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Oh, no! You will be getting a PM too! LOL
Rich

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  2:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karl Osolinski

quote:

I do have some real dirt, that I plan on sifting through brass screens, to see if I can use any of that first.

Hi Rich,

I never could understand sifting your own dirt. I figure with all the critters running around in our backyard the last thing I wanna' do is play in the dirt...the raccoons, deer, possum, ducks or geese (the ones that have to walk a lot), turkeys, wild dogs, mice and all sorts of other vermin I'm out of that picture. The dirt shall stay outside.

You know what else I could never understand?
Answer: Using an eyedropper to put your diluted Elmer's and water onto the layout or diorama. Seems painfully labor intensive to me.

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Just my 2 cents worth, unless you count inflation, then I'd have to up it a bit, I get my real dirt from Smith & Son's Ballast. Already sifted, cleaned and graded. I bought several bags just recently. Lasts quite a while.

As for eye droppers, I use a large pipette, they hold a lot, and can easily apply as much or as little as you need. A box of 100 is about 6 bucks on Amazon. Mostly I use a spray bottle with water/alcohol solution, then just apply the water/glue/soap solution with the pipette, unless it's close to the building, then I dispense with the spray part. Can cover a large area quickly, but I usually do scenery in small batches at a time anyway, but even then, a large area is just as easy to do.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  3:14:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,
I have those pippetts you mentioned and they do work great. Thanks for your reply to the thread.

Karl,
I have several shades of fine brown dirt, ( commercial product), that I found in my stash. And I will mix it 50/50 with the Durham's water putty. So, do I use water to set it or a diluted glue/water mixture?
Rich

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  5:24:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Hi Jerry,

I use one of those mustard/ketchup bottles that I put a long nozzle on. Been using it for years.

As far as using those pipettes the longest ones that I found at Edmund Scientific were approximately 6" long and a full squeeze was only a 1/2 teaspoon. The bottles I use hold 1 cup (8 ounces or 48 whole teaspoons). What about a turkey baster??

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Edited by - Karl Osolinski on 12/16/2017 6:19:38 PM

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  6:52:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, Back when Malcolm Furlow & I worked together here in Jacksonville on my railroad he turned me on to The Rock Quarry products. He 1st used them on the San Juan Silverton Book Layout for Model Railroader Magazine. The product they produced & sold was outstanding. Now they are gone but not forgotten. If modelers are in need of products that are close to the Rock Quarry they might try Arizona Rock & Mineral Co. I have used their product & like it a lot.
The glue bottle reads 1:3. One part school glue to 3 parts windshield cleaner??
One last thing!!! The photo of the Tack Shop! Road Apples in the Dirt Road. Only Karl O thinks of everything

Mike Sigmon
PS
No Hobby Show in Jacksonville last night! Just kidding with you. I asked Santa Claus to bring me you for Christmas to help me be a better structure builder. See if I sit on Santa's lap next year

MSIGMON

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  10:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSIGMON

Karl, Back when Malcolm Furlow & I worked together here in Jacksonville on my railroad he turned me on to The Rock Quarry products. He 1st used them on the San Juan Silverton Book Layout for Model Railroader Magazine. The product they produced & sold was outstanding. Now they are gone but not forgotten. If modelers are in need of products that are close to the Rock Quarry they might try Arizona Rock & Mineral Co. I have used their product & like it a lot.
The glue bottle reads 1:3. One part school glue to 3 parts windshield cleaner??
One last thing!!! The photo of the Tack Shop! Road Apples in the Dirt Road. Only Karl O thinks of everything

Mike Sigmon
PS
No Hobby Show in Jacksonville last night! Just kidding with you. I asked Santa Claus to bring me you for Christmas to help me be a better structure builder. See if I sit on Santa's lap next year

Hi Mike,

You must have missed my post on page 16 of this thread. There's a photo of the sample packs that are available from Arizona Rock & Mineral. I still have about 20 bags of the Rock Quarry stuff so I haven't needed to order from Arizona Rock...they do offer some very nice products.

The glue mix is 1 part regular Elmer's to 3 parts distilled water. I have another bottle of the mix at 1 part Elmer's to 2 parts water.

The road apples are poppy seeds painted brown.

I believe the book you mentioned by Furlow is the "HO Narrow Gauge Railroad You Can Build - San Juan Central".

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Edited by - Karl Osolinski on 12/16/2017 10:19:30 PM

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  10:31:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tony,
I have those pippetts you mentioned and they do work great. Thanks for your reply to the thread.

Karl,
I have several shades of fine brown dirt, ( commercial product), that I found in my stash. And I will mix it 50/50 with the Durham's water putty. So, do I use water to set it or a diluted glue/water mixture?
Rich

Hi Rich,

I use the glue/water mix to secure the dirt...double the hold at no extra cost, I guess.

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  09:43:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl,

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I will let you know how I make out.
Have a wonderful day.

Rich

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  10:14:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl, that book on the San Juan Central became the inspiration to my model railroading. I still look at it today.

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  10:44:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl/Frank, My copy of the book is autographed! I would say it can now be sold on E-bay for $8.00 instead of the cover price of $7.95.
The photo of Juniors is outstanding. Got tired of counting the little Jordon's in the photo. Every time I came up with a new number

Mike Sigmon

MSIGMON

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: Juneco CNR 250 Ton Ice house  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 3.75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000