Railroad Line Forums - Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 126 ]  [ Total: 132 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: More New Construction on the F&SM RR
Page: of 34

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  12:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
Nice work...and a very lucky friend!
Thank you for posting the photos.
Dave

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  1:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, Great work as always.

Quick question... Did you use dry pigments to color the Downtown Deco castings?

Thanks in advance.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2017 :  10:02:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hon3_rr

Karl, Great work as always.

Quick question... Did you use dry pigments to color the Downtown Deco castings?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Kris,

I did use some pigment washes on the chimneys and other roof details but the walls were done with acrylic and oil paint washes. I diluted the acrylics with windshield washer fluid and the oils with naptha. Also, I didn't seal the walls before coloring them.

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2017 :  1:51:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mario from Down Under sent an original Karl Osolinski Wicked Wanda’s to the Suncoast Center for Fine Scale Modeling a few years ago. A small but fitting tribute to Karl.

It didn't fair the trip from Australia to Florida very well. Wanda came loose and took out the billboard and the figures. But all's well once it was repaired.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 12/13/2017 1:54:54 PM

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/13/2017 :  3:38:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, You do not know how happy I am to see your name pop up in this Forum. Over the years I have learned so much from you. A lot of the items you have used I have also purchased & tried. I have a couple of questions.
1) what thickness did you use for the monster brick 1/16" or 1/8" sheet
2)did you use "OLD BRICK" Basswood

Mike Sigmon
Jacksonville, FL

MSIGMON

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2017 :  10:23:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Mario from Down Under sent an original Karl Osolinski Wicked Wanda’s to the Suncoast Center for Fine Scale Modeling a few years ago. A small but fitting tribute to Karl.

It didn't fair the trip from Australia to Florida very well. Wanda came loose and took out the billboard and the figures. But all's well once it was repaired.

Hi Frank,

Wow, that goes back a few years. I was just as surprised that it made it back to Australia from Michigan much less Australia to Florida! Thanks for showing where it ended up. I found one of my old photos of it.

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Edited by - Karl Osolinski on 12/13/2017 10:28:49 PM

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2017 :  10:45:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSIGMON

Karl, You do not know how happy I am to see your name pop up in this Forum. Over the years I have learned so much from you. A lot of the items you have used I have also purchased & tried. I have a couple of questions.
1) what thickness did you use for the monster brick 1/16" or 1/8" sheet
2)did you use "OLD BRICK" Basswood

Mike Sigmon
Jacksonville, FL

Hi Mike,

Thanks...it's nice to hear that you were able to get some useful information from a few of my old threads.

I did use the 1/8" Monster "old" brick on the tenements but since then I got some of the 1/32" thick (not available in 1/16" thick) and also the same (old) in the laserboard (.015 thick) that Jimmy came out with. The thinner stuff is so much easier to cut - especially door and window openings. This little brick entranceway back wall was done with the laserboard "old" brick.

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Edited by - Karl Osolinski on 12/15/2017 06:24:08 AM

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  09:29:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl love seeing you back at it with all the structures finished. Looking forward to see them on the diorama. Also great seeing some of your old builds again. Keep posting the photos of your great work.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  11:03:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, that goes back a few years. I was just as surprised that it made it back to Australia from Michigan much less Australia to Florida! Thanks for showing where it ended up.

I thought you might be interested in where poor little Wanda went. She's got some miles or kilometers under her bonnet.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 12/14/2017 11:05:24 AM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  08:07:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
Wanda's diorama is the perfect example of Road/pathways that are found on many of your builds. Would you mind explaining how you do them? Some use an emery board to rough up the surface, then add dirt, rubbing that in with their fingers, but I am finding it difficult to achieve a real look to mine. I have been using grout, but mine don't have your look. Thanks
Rich

MSIGMON
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  6:52:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, When the decided to post again you are going to get hit with a lot of questions. On the plastic windows & doors is there a procedure you do before painting on the final color. For some reason I keep thinking you start off with a Tamiya base color & go from there. If it is Tamiya is it deck tan or something else. Time for you to get out your file cards & give us step by step to a peal paint window & door.
Old Buddy I have more questions coming. I signed up for your Fun In The Sun Modeling Class here in Jacksonville tonight but you did not show up. Keep Warm!

Mike Sigmon
Jacksonville

MSIGMON

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  10:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Karl,
Wanda's diorama is the perfect example of Road/pathways that are found on many of your builds. Would you mind explaining how you do them? Some use an emery board to rough up the surface, then add dirt, rubbing that in with their fingers, but I am finding it difficult to achieve a real look to mine. I have been using grout, but mine don't have your look. Thanks
Rich

Jeez.... Karl, I guess I'm not supposed to ask any questions, sorry.
I got "hit" with this PM by one of our members!

quartergauger48
Fireman

USA
5052 Posts
Sent - 12/15/2017 : 7:41:41 PM View Profile Email Poster If you knew how to build/model you wouldn't have to ask stupid questions'...
Karl,
Rich

As usual **** for brains'

And Greg Shinnie asked my why I don't share my work on here? No guessing why...
Don't anyone ask any questions that may be found to be stupid, or you may receive a similar PM?

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  10:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Karl,
Rich

Hi Rich,

Glad to answer your question.

OK, these are only my thoughts and opinions.

Our structures start life darker than their surroundings - specifically roads and scenery. For me, that doesn't provide the separation of the building to it's environment and it just doesn't look right to me in my photographs...the structures are the stars not the roads or grasses and I don't want the building to get lost in the setting. I'm not suggesting that we don't pay attention to the scenery (because I think I do) but the buildings should, in my opinion, be the main focus in the photograph. John Allen is probably looking down at me with his head spinning.

But, to your question and enough of my opinions!

The base for my country roads is pretty simple. I've been using Rock Quarry dirt for years. It's the finest stuff I could find - almost like a powder. Unfortunately, Rock Quarry has been gone for several years. I did, once again, overbuy when the stuff was available and I do have a good supply that will probably last me for a long time. The colors I use are Turf Brown, Brown, Sedimentary Brown and Country Road Brown - all in "fine" grade.

The method I use is pretty simple. I mix the color turf I've chosen with Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty about 50-50 depending on how much I want to lighten the ground color. Durham's is also very fine and much lighter in color than any of the ground covers so it not only lightens the turf but after everything is soaked it all dries extremely hard.

After everything is dry I shade the turf and any bushes, grass or foliage using PanPastels. I use to use chalks for the shadings but since I discovered the PanPastels over 8 years ago that's pretty much all I use now.

Check how old this Rock Quarry stuff is...I shot these photos about an hour ago. It's all the samples I got from them a long time ago.

So, the good news for you. Not too long ago I found Arizona Rock & Mineral and sent away for their samples. This stuff is as close, if not the same, as the Rock Quarry stuff I have. It's really nice and a perfect replacement, I think.

Well, that's my story... was I able to put you to sleep or are you still awake?

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  11:02:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much Karl. As always, your posts are quite an inspiration, and I as well as a host of other people, am glad you are back here!
Yes, I think I need to buy some of that stuff. Boy, am I glad I asked my question now!

I do have some real dirt, that I plan on sifting through brass screens, to see if I can use any of that first.

THANK YOU SIR!
Rich

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  11:39:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSIGMON

Karl, When the decided to post again you are going to get hit with a lot of questions. On the plastic windows & doors is there a procedure you do before painting on the final color. For some reason I keep thinking you start off with a Tamiya base color & go from there. If it is Tamiya is it deck tan or something else. Time for you to get out your file cards & give us step by step to a peal paint window & door.
Old Buddy I have more questions coming. I signed up for your Fun In The Sun Modeling Class here in Jacksonville tonight but you did not show up. Keep Warm!

Mike Sigmon
Jacksonville

Hi Mike,

Thanks for asking, I like questions. I learned very early on by the Jesuit priests that pounded it into my head for 7 years the old saw "there's no such thing as a bad question". I still believe that to this day. One thing I enjoy so much about RRL forums is the questions I get asked... they show interest in what is being done and curiosity on how it's done - I like that a lot. I always wanted to be a teacher and I think I would have been a good one but cars, girls, music and cameras put a halt to all that sort of thing.

Anyway, enough of my nonsense.

I am a big fan of Tamiya paints plus I really like how they smell!

I've used Deck Tan XF-55, JA Grey XF-14,Sky XF-21 and JN Grey XF-12 for base colors for some time. Also, Desert Yellow XF-59 or Flat Flesh XF-15 are both really close to the color of raw basswood if you want to match windows and doors to a particular wall color.

If I dare to say it...XF-14 and XF-21 are, and I am daring to say it, a nice sub for the dreaded DRIFTWOOD. Wow, I hope my computer doesn't start smoking.

Sorry I missed the show in Jacksonville... but we did get 10" of snow here.

Cheers,

Karl O.
Berkley MI

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O Topic Next Topic: More New Construction on the F&SM RR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000