Railroad Line Forums - Layout lighting both external and internal
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 56 ]  [ Total: 56 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Layout lighting both external and internal
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Maine Central at Chesuncook Lake:small layoutbuild Topic Next Topic: Splines to risers?
Page: of 5

eaglehook159
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/17/2015 :  3:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies. What if I mixed some cool white lights in with the warm white. I was always under the impression that cool white would give off a blueish tint. Maybe a combination of the two would work? Dave

Head Honcho,V.P. of Marketing,Chief Buyer,Primary Scapegoat,and Head Broom Pusher of the Bear Mountain Lumber and Railway Co.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2015 :  4:58:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I previously used a combination of 'daylight' and 'chroma 50' fluorescent tubes, that I recently replaced with 4000k LED tubes. The colors look similar to my eyes, but the LEDs don't have the occasional flicker of a failing fluorescent tube. Not cheap, but I'm very happy with the results.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2015 :  10:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eaglehook159

Thanks for the replies. What if I mixed some cool white lights in with the warm white. I was always under the impression that cool white would give off a blueish tint. Maybe a combination of the two would work? Dave

I'm not sure what you mean by it working, but remember this; the color temperatures (in this case 5000K) represent a true representation of the color of 'daylight' outdoors. So it all depends what YOU are looking for. If you are looking for a true daylight color on your layout, then stick with pure 5000K lighting. If your personal preference is something warmer, then feel free to tone it down. Just remember that most colors under anything less than daylight may not look right, and photos taken under that lighting will reproduce with a yellowish tone to them. Since we are modeling the outdoors, the lighting you use should really be daylight lighting.

Mark

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/18/2015 :  08:00:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are there other layouts in your area that you can visit and get an idea of what you like and don't like? It is your layout and you're the first person you want to please.

This page of my Eastern Route thread shows both the 4 foot T-8 fluorescents I started out with and the LED strips I added in 2011:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20091&whichpage=37

Both have 'daylight' color temperature, though I didn't go all out for a high 'Color Rendering Index'. I really like a layout with even lighting, so I can walk up to it and take a decent picture almost anytime. I only get out my photofloods once or twice a year. Visiting other people's layouts, I see lots of variation, but it pains me to see good scenery built in dark spots where it's barely visible.

[edit] Even room lighting is pretty much a requirement for decent looking movies. Otherwise, you need enough photofloods, tripods etc. to cover the whole scene.

Getting back to mixing color temperatures: the 'color balance' function of digital cameras can make up for big variations, and sometimes a photo can actually look more realistic with a 'sun low in the sky' light coming from one direction or another. But 'cool white' is not the same as 'daylight' - it's bluer and can make pictures come out greenish if you don't adjust the camera (or spend time post-processing with Photoshop or GIMP).

Edited by - jbvb on 11/18/2015 08:04:10 AM

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 11/18/2016 :  6:28:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am hanging these 4000k LED shop lights from Home Depot on the 10' ceiling of my 9.5' x 22' RR room tomorrow -- Commercial Electric 4 ft. White LED Linkable Strip Light Model# 54261141. I have not decided how I will light the to be built shelf layout -- shadow box or ????

Thirty years ago I used Cool White flourescent shop lights hung from a 7.5' ceiling and mounted at 45* even with the edge of my 64" high DSP&P shelf layout. I liked the cool white for the Rocky Mountains but I feel that the light in Appalachia and Maine (undecided as to the locale of this On30 layout will be) is warmer so will experiment with the 4000k.

Bill Uffelmn
Ocean View DE

Brunton
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  09:45:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I posted part of this on page 3 of my construction thread (http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48262), but thought more might see it here, so...

I'm considering installing 14-15 of these babies for general lighting in my basement train room: https://www.lightup.com/1ft-x-4ft-flat-panel-led-40-watt-dimmable-4000-lumens-lumegen.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=280474030297&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8vrupOSO2gIVhbrACh2dcQ7IEAkYHCABEgLYzPD_BwE

The CRI is only 80, which is a bit concerning. I'd prefer a CRI of 85 or higher. Anybody know of any similar LED panels that provide a better spectrum? Or does anyone have experience with a CRI 80-quality light they can share?

Edited by - Brunton on 04/09/2018 09:47:40 AM

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Maine Central at Chesuncook Lake:small layoutbuild Topic Next Topic: Splines to risers?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000