Railroad Line Forums - Layout lighting both external and internal
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 123 ]  [ Total: 127 ]  [ Newest Member: Wayne Taylor ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Layout lighting both external and internal
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Maine Central at Chesuncook Lake:small layoutbuild Topic Next Topic: Splines to risers?
Page: of 5

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  08:23:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, Crew...

I've been reading the threads here and researching out layout lighting. Has anyone tried using dimmable compact fluorescent bulbs? They are available in 'daylight' color and sound like they would work well.

Russ

Munch
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/14/2009 :  03:12:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hehe. If you really want to get serious.... http://www.pegasusassociates.com/FiberOpticStarCeiling.html

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/31/2010 :  08:19:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone tried using the new LED Christmas lights? I picked up a couple of boxes (all white) on sale after Christmas with the thought of cutting them up and using them for interior lighting in structures. I model N scale and though the bulb and socket is a little big a bulb could sit nicely hidden up in the rafters. I haven't tried it yet and was looking for advice since I am electrically challenged (electronically hopeless).

MikeM
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  5:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take a look at the LED lighting thread in DCC, Computers and Electronics.

resqrk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  10:53:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still building my layout room and I'm at the lighting stage. It will have a suspended ceiling in it. I'm going between drop in flourescents for main room and dimmable LED recessed over the layout. Anyone ever use the dimmable LEDs before?

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  6:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34474&whichpage=1

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  1:01:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There has been discussion about buying UV blocking tubes for florescent lights. Has anyone ever tried putting clear UV blocking film on each bulb. A 15' roll would do a lot of bulbs. Compared to the cost of tubes. If a light burns out just toss it plus you would still have shatter protection...

Ty

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  6:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
AFAIK, UV from fluorescents shouldn't be a big issue for most model RRs - my progress would be a lot faster if the lights in my RR space were even on for 4-500 hours a year. And I've got switches for sections so when I'm working, only the area I'm working on is lit. When my scenery reaches the end that is exposed to direct sunlight for a few hours every day, I'll be starting a 'comparative fading' experiment, but I'm not expecting to report results anytime soon. Another option would be to use LEDs, which shouldn't have any UV component.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  8:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With 20-20 hindsight, I would NOT use those acoustic tiles in my train room. They create way too much dust.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

clockshop
New Hire

Posted - 12/30/2014 :  7:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
replying to lighting in buildings and other lights around the lay out..
what I have used for a long time is glass wrap, go to a stained glass dealer and get a roll of the edge wrap, it is 1/4 in. wide and .005 thick self sticking. first the underside of the lay out has to be clean , I wipe it over with
denatured alcohol when dry stick the copper strip down where you need it. I run a long strip and use it for the ground. it solders easy and very little voltage drop. doing a town run two strips and solder the light wires. one thing I don't do is use it for smoke systems I have several houses and plants with smoke and they draw more than small lights hope this is a help bob

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/30/2014 :  8:31:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert, if you have an ohm meter, could you post the resistance of a foot of that copper foil? Or if you ohm meter isn't very accurate, could you check 10 feet?

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/31/2014 :  11:38:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is how I adapted in-drywall boxes intended for track lighting to individually switchable single-tube fluorescent fixtures:

eaglehook159
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  1:56:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, Has anyone tried the LED 4' linkable tube fixtures? They are rated a 1200 lumens, and 3000 on the temperature range. It looks like a florescent light fixture with a cover over the tube. They are linkable and can be used in multiples of thirty-three with only one power cord. I am considering these for lighting my layout room. Rural King has them on sale for $19.99 ea. Dave

Head Honcho,V.P. of Marketing,Chief Buyer,Primary Scapegoat,and Head Broom Pusher of the Bear Mountain Lumber and Railway Co.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  2:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't, but two cautions: First, the 3000K color temperature is pretty warm, so models and paints for daylight may look muddy. Second, check the actual wattage vs. your breakers and other loads before you start laying things out.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2015 :  12:39:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harsco just installed some of these LED fixtures on his layout and they are great! I'm not sure though if the ones he installed are the same ones you are speaking of. His are rated at 5000K (Daylight) and look just like a fluorescent fixture, but as you said, you can link them together.

I agree with James though. If the ones you are looking at are only 3000K, you will have a yellowish tone on the layout.

Mark

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Maine Central at Chesuncook Lake:small layoutbuild Topic Next Topic: Splines to risers?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000