Railroad Line Forums - Scenery
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 87 ]  [ Total: 91 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Scenery
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Turnout/Track Compatibility Topic Next Topic: A small expansion to my layout.
Page: of 30

N2626
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 12/27/2015 :  07:19:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/27/2015 :  1:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, let us know what you decide on, Scratch built, or commercial made'...

ted :<)

N2626
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2015 :  07:22:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quartergauger48, From my standpoint (a fixed income) and an enjoyment in making things, I have always wanted to make the stuff I use. I have two Woodland Scenics Field Grass packages and want to at least use these up. I was hoping to be able to use these products without the purchase of a static generator, hence my post on how to do this.

Edited by - N2626 on 12/28/2015 07:30:46 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2015 :  09:30:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, as a variation on a previous theme, I make my own tufts from the WS Field Grass by sticking 'pinches' of them (cut down) into dabs of white glue (Aileenes, Bordens, etc)instead of hot glue. The key is waiting for the dabs of glue to begin filming over or else the grass will fall over.

Since my practice in building wooden models is to put dabs of glue on a piece of waxed paper (or the paper from the backing of peal off stickers) and then picking the glue up with a toothpick to put on the model, I can often do double duty. As those dabs of glue start to thicken before I've used all the glue, I put a pinch of grass in them. On the next blob of glue, the same thing.

By the time my model is built, I have a good supply of tufts for my next scenery project.

The tufts are easy to lift off the waxed (or shiny sticker backing) paper.

Once dry and lifted off the paper, trim to the desired length and throw them into a container for future use.

Bruce

N2626
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 12/29/2015 :  07:27:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, this is exactly the information I was looking for! Using a byproduct from another project is even better than going straight at building/making the tufts as a focused single project!

Thanks very much!!

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 12/29/2015 :  5:51:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I added a short update on post on page 28 with my question trying to identify a foliage product. It is Scenic Express Super Turf. Looks like it's been around since 2012. has anyone tried it? How does it work? Look?

Edited by - Bill Gill on 12/29/2015 5:53:28 PM

NVNGRR
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 12/29/2015 :  8:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit NVNGRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

Sorry I didn't catch this earlier. Here is a picture of a patch of super turf on my On30 layout. I used the same method to glue it down as I use for WS coarse turf, thinned white glue.

Kevin Miller
Winlock, WA

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/30/2015 :  12:08:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NP2626

Quartergauger48, From my standpoint (a fixed income) and an enjoyment in making things, I have always wanted to make the stuff I use. I have two Woodland Scenics Field Grass packages and want to at least use these up. I was hoping to be able to use these products without the purchase of a static generator, hence my post on how to do this.

I understand completely, and like to do the same thing. I would say though with the excessive cost of most items for the hobby, the tufts are probably the least expensive scenery item available. About the same as a bottle of turf grass. Looks like Bruce has finally answered your question. Enjoy making your tufts'...

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 12/30/2015 :  07:49:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin, Thanks for the photo of Super Turf on your layout. it looks good and provides a texture different from ground foam.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/30/2015 :  08:24:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin, that is a great looking embankment.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/30/2015 :  08:30:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your approach to scenery depends, of course, on the geographic area that you model. In the northeast, open areas get taken over by a variety of short and long grasses, weeds, bushes, and trees. I've played around with layers of different textures to get that look.

In this first picture, the diluted white glue isn't dry yet, and you can see some white showing in the foreground.

In use there is a variety of ground foam (different levels of coarseness), clump foliage, and Pot Topper material (in the rear).

This photo shows scenery made like above, but with some grass tufts in the foreground.

Bruce

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 12/30/2015 :  2:23:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, The large areas of medium green in your photos look like they are also Super Turf, yes? It is also on the dark tree in the second photo?

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/30/2015 :  3:06:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, I have the super turf'..It is very small clumps. I use it mostly around structures. You can also use it to make trees. However, you will need undiluted glue so it holds better to the branches. I have found that the the super turf works best with Aileens spray adhesive. In fact Secinc Express, recommends their own spray glue for the ST applications'...

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 12/30/2015 :  6:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ted, I noticed in the short Scenics Express YouTube video that Dave Frary hosted, he just put a little pile of the stuff on the scene and didn't glue it down. Since the little sample I have looks shiny and slick and easily crumbles into small pieces, I wondered what is used to hold it in place.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 12/30/2015 6:21:12 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/30/2015 :  10:27:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Bruce, The large areas of medium green in your photos look like they are also Super Turf, yes?

I believe so, Bill. I did that a few years ago.

quote:
It is also on the dark tree in the second photo?

No, the tree is a commercial item used 'as is'.

Bruce

Page: of 30 Previous Topic: Turnout/Track Compatibility Topic Next Topic: A small expansion to my layout.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000