Railroad Line Forums - Scenery
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: johnnycee6 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Scenery
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Turnout/Track Compatibility Topic Next Topic: A small expansion to my layout.
Page: of 30

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  10:52:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, what follows surely isn't brain surgery, but it was a breakthrough of sorts for me.

I've always like the looks of WS Field Grass, but have found it a pain to install.

Cut a clump off, dip an end in white glue and stick it on the layout. Sounds simple, but more often than not it would fall apart before the glue dried, or it would stick to my fingers and lift off again when I tried to take my hand away, or it would be in some tight spot where my fat fingers couldn't reach. You get the idea.

I even bought the special 'Field Grass Insertion Tool' thingy from MicroMark. Save your $. Designed to insert the grass into foam, I found that most often, the grass came back out when you pulled the tool out.

Today I had a brainstorm. Why not 'pre-fab' clumps of the Field Grass on my bench? I simply put small dollops of Aileen's Tacky Glue onto some waxed paper that I taped to a flat surface. After allowing the glue to set a bit, I inserted small clumps of the grass into the glue. Hold it for a few moments, and move on to the next drop of glue.

Here is what it looked like.

After allowing it to dry for a while, I trimmed the clumps to the desired length.

Once the glue turned clear, I carefully lifted each clump off the waxed paper by sliding a single edged razor blade under the glue. (Work a little bit from each side, and it will lift right up.)

Here is what a clump looks like, ready to install on the layout.

When ready to install, simply put a little glue on the bottom of the dried glue patty and put in place.

Bruce

mecrr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  12:25:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce thanx for the idea, you've just saved me a great deal of aggravation,
David

A Maine Expatriate living in the valley of Northern California - Modeling in HO.
David Stickney

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  03:12:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great idea, I will give this a try. I agree there has to be a better way than WS describes. to install this stuff.
One thing I found is to cut the grass about 1 -1 1/4" long. Grab the midle of the pile of grass with tweezers, shove the middle of the clump into styrofoam or a pre-drilled hole. Add 50/50 glue around the base. The grass will not fall over and when dry I take rotary nose hair clippers to give it the uneven look of grass. No matter what one does it just takes time to make and install these grass clumps. There sure do look good though when completed.
Good idea so one can work at the bench.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  4:20:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very neat idea, Bruce.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  7:59:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  10:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bruce. These look pretty natural. Poking the stuff into holes in the foam always looks like "hair plugs" to me.

Chuck

LaRueD
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  12:33:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple of photos of the first pine trees for a scratch-n-bash diorama project. Figure is HO scale.

Delbert

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Edited by - LaRueD on 02/05/2010 10:56:47 AM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  10:03:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a fine looking tree. Good job!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

KVRailfan
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  11:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit KVRailfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looks like some sort of root, what kind of root is it?
By the way, they look great!

Steve

LaRueD
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  12:42:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, Steve, Thanks for your interest and taking a moment to comment.

The root and stem (tree trunk) are a wild ephemeral shrub that grows commonly along the roadsides here during the summer. I was trying simulate a tree struck by lightening. A regular occurrence during monsoon season.

Best wishes, ...
Delbert

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Edited by - LaRueD on 02/05/2010 1:34:21 PM

first timer
New Hire

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  5:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit first timer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Delbert, I too spend my evenings making model trees in an effort to create a forrest.I do like your results, the pines look super.I should be posting my own efforts soon, keep posting pictures as you go please.

Phillip Steyn
South Africa
Towering pines & Timber wolf lumber co.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  7:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice trees, Delbert. And what material did you use for foliage?

RonH56
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  7:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK... Multiple notes here.

Bruce I tried your clump trick. It's DA Bommb! And waaaayyy cheaper than Silflour.

Delbert, Very nice trees. What is that you used for the armature?

Last; I mixed up my very first batch of "Ground Gooop" today. At first I thought "what did I get into" but, I like it!! I have to get darker paint for the next batch though.

"What the heck wuz that?"
Ron Haviland
Owner/Operator
Red Water Railway Co.
L.B. & S Shortline RR.

Podunk, New England

KVRailfan
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  7:56:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit KVRailfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote

"The root and stem (tree trunk) are a wild ephemeral shrub that grows commonly along the roadsides here during the summer. I was trying simulate a tree struck by lightening. A regular occurrence during monsoon season."
___________________________________________--

where is here? I like the looks of them. Could almost be growing ponderosa pines like that up here in BC.

Steve

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  8:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Kerkhoff

Great idea, I will give this a try. I agree there has to be a better way than WS describes. to install this stuff.

I was going to do a small clinic / video on a much simpler way to "plant weeds" that Geoff Nott and I came up with.... it will change the way you do "weeds".. and this method is good therapy and very relaxing on the mind and body...

regards

Doc "M"

Maybe tomorrow , if I get a chance..and upload to You Tube...

Page: of 30 Previous Topic: Turnout/Track Compatibility Topic Next Topic: A small expansion to my layout.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000