Railroad Line Forums - Scenery
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 80 ]  [ Total: 80 ]  [ Newest Member: johnnycee6 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Scenery
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Turnout/Track Compatibility Topic Next Topic: A small expansion to my layout.
Page: of 30

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  8:24:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Edit:
Mike you left off the last bracket on /url which means it was not a clickable link so I added it to the post
John Bagley

I now have a Diciduous tree making toutorial on my web site at http://www.dreamweavertrains.com/deciduoustree.htm

Mike J

Edited by - Bbags on 03/08/2007 8:36:50 PM

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  10:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent tutorial, Mike!

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  10:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job on the tutorial Mike,its a great addition to the scenery topic

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  12:15:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guy's

Thanks John I have been doing that alot lately but I usually catch it.

Mike J

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  9:21:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike
Thanks for the tutorial. The plant looks very much like something we call statice limonium here and which is relatively easy to find. I'll try your technique one of these days.

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  05:22:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Frederic, candy tuft is Iberis umbellata

Sorry I forgot to take some pics of the stuff we got today I'll be sure to get some tomarrow.

Mike J

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  11:04:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah ok I think my wife uses that stuff in her flower arrangements in the store.Would you pluck the flowers off before using the bush part?

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  11:11:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a great tutorial on your website, Mike. I use a combination of flowers from shrubs in my garden including spirea, hydrangea and sedum. It's amazing how much nature offers us for our model railroading needs!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  7:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mike
It's often much easier to find them with their scientific latin name. I'll try to see what I can find. Seems I had not looked closely enough at the photo in your tutorial.

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  12:02:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As promised...But barly it's 10:54 cdt here and I have now been up for 37 hrs straight and at least oh 30 of that down stairs modeling I was doing pretty good till I came up here and tried to resize the pictures I took tonight then

Well here they are.

this is basically how it looks from the store this has been thinned down though.

this is after being sprayed.

being applied to an armature

Mike J

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  06:04:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I would post a review of a new book out by one of my favorite authors, Tony Koester.

There are 10 wonderful chapters in this book. Now it is not a technique book like Dave Frary's, but a study in making scenery using the prototype as a guide. There are many tips, but you would be dissappointed if you were expecting techniques (there are many though).

The main premise of the book is to copy (study)the prototype and how to do that. The idea is to study mother nature and replicate what we see thus avoiding that generic scenery look. Kind of like Mike Rose suggesting using individual pics to weather freight cars to avoid that sameness to the fleet.

It is an excellent read, and I finished the first one this weekend. I am looking forward to the re read to get all the stuff I missed the first time.

I would strongly recomend this softcover book as part of your scenery tools for getting a better end product. The book retails for about $22 and is worth every penny.

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  8:18:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I decided to work on scenery today, specifically the area around bridge 130. I continued on my water adding some more white water, and coating it with 2 coats of semigloss poly. Then I turned to trees. I made some more of my sumac tip trees, but since I am running out, I bought some super trees with the intention of working them in around the layout thus extending my sumac tips.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  10:29:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ralph,

I like how you created a sand bar in the middle, and how the water meanders around the abutment.

Good looking tress too.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  11:41:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ralph
The white water around the sand bar really adds to the illusion of rapid flowing water. Looking good.
Peter

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2007 :  05:12:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. Tim, while the sandbar is not exactly prototypical for that scene, it is from another LV river scene. I used a little modelers license to create the white water effect.

Page: of 30 Previous Topic: Turnout/Track Compatibility Topic Next Topic: A small expansion to my layout.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000