Railroad Line Forums - Scenery
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 80 ]  [ Total: 83 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Scenery
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Turnout/Track Compatibility Topic Next Topic: A small expansion to my layout.
Page: of 30

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  5:07:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't see any how to's for making ground foam and I figured seeing as I'm going to spent a very minimal ammount of time today mixing up a batch for the first time I might as well document it.
So the first pic is the foam I'll be cutting up into small pieces.

[URL=http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1326zt8.jpg][/URL]

This is the blender I'm using which by the way I think I killed it by overloading it on my last batch.I found it at a second hand store for $2.99 so no great loss.

[URL=http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1325xd7.jpg][/URL]

I added quite a bit of water to the foam which you see in the blender this really made a differnce compared to me trying to chop it dry.And added the hunter green paint.
[URL=http://img524.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1328sc8.jpg][/URL]

I blended the foam into mush on high setting adding a few more chunks at a time and pushing them down till the blender blades grabbed them.
This is one blender run it made quite a bit.

[URL=http://img518.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1324yk3.jpg][/URL]

I made 3 different shades just by adding a bit of black and on a seperate batch used Deco Art Leaf green to get a much liter shade.

I spent probably 2 hours to make all of this and this.
[URL=http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1331qo5.jpg][/URL]

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  5:37:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Lynn, I picked up an old blender (works) for $3 at a garage sale many years ago, but have never got around to using it...maybe your thread will inspire me to get my butt in gear. Another use for an old blender is to chop up old leaves, which makes good ground cover in a forest.

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  6:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually Al would you believe 2 days ago I was in the back yard digging through the snow looking for the pile of leaves I put there in the fall , I was going to blend them up for ground cover. Someone must have moved the darn pile .

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  6:26:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lynn, . .From your last picture, that's some great looking stuff for scenery. Thanks for the tutorial.

Al, . .We personally use ours for milk skakes; but since it hasn't been in use in ages, I don't think she'll miss it! . .Now what were those other uses again?

quote:
Originally posted by Tabooma County Rwy

. . .Another use for an old blender is to chop up old leaves, which makes good ground cover in a forest.

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  7:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent tutorial Lynn, I tried making my own ground foam a couple of years ago too, things to note... dont blend it dry (as you pointed out) it will kill the blender. There are several types of foam, each will give you varying size 'granuals' the denser foam as used in seat cussions will give a much finer texture. After the coloured mess has dried(eventually) you can reblend it and get a finer texture. Patience is a virtue. For the time it took and the price/selection of commercially available products.... I went back to the professionals. I did get some good results and satisfaction from the process but I'm just not a patient man...

Karl.A

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  8:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl how can anyone call thems selves NOT PATIENT and build a tressle like that

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  12:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent the morning ballasting track. The ole back is barking, so I took a few pics of how I do it to get off my feet for a few.

I have heard horror stories about ballasting. Yea, I have lived a few myself until I copied these ideas from others. Let me offer some guidance for those that dread ballasting.

First of all use the right size ballast! I see many model railroads that have used a ballast size that is way to large and it just does not look right. No amount of application technique will solve this problem. I suggest you start with a size that is too small and work up if you are not sure. Think about it for a moment, In HO how big do you think those individual stones are? Do you think you should be able to recognize them?

I use Woodland Scenics fine ballast. Here is a pic side by side medium and fine ballasts.

Ballast a short section of flex track off the layout and I think you will find the finer ballast looks better.

Next are to tools of the trade.

Here is a pic of what I use.

What you see are as follows. I mix my ballast with 2 colors. Light gray and buff. If you look at real ballast it is a mixture of colors. You don't want to mix two contrasting colors or you will get a salt and pepper effect. Study the prototype for ideas.

Next is 91% iso alcohol, and white glue diluted with water 3 parts water to 1 part glue with a few drops of dish detergent to help it flow better.

Also is a piece of foam from the inside of an Athearn box cut to fit between the rails. A pipette, small spoon, and soft brush also are used. I mix my ballast in a coffee can and decant it into a plastic ketchup squeeze bottle from the dollar store. Ballast has never been so easy to apply.

Then apply your ballast from the squeeze bottle. Use the piece of foam and your finger and soft brush to move the ballast to its proper position. Make sure you get as much off the ties and inside rail as possible. Nothing looks worse than ballast rocks sitting on top of the ties and along side the rail. Don't worry if you can't get it all, just get as much as you can off. Some grains will remain.

Then here is where my technique changed. I used to spray the ballast with a fine spray of wet water. But no matter how carefull I was, it moved the ballast and made me very unhappy. I now just use the pipette and dribble 91% alcohol into the ballasted track. It gets sucked right in and won't disturb your carefully shaped ballast.

Then using the pipette or a drop flow from the glue bottle place glue down the middle, and on each side of the rails. Be generous here. You don't want a crusty top, with unglued ballast underneath. The alcohol will really suck the glue mixture into the ballast bed.

Here is a section I just glued.

Some ballast grains will migrate onto the tie tops and rail sides as you can see here. Don't worry. Just knock them off with your nail or the edge of an Xacto blade. Then vacuum. You will have a nice piece of track that is ready for weathering to tone down that new ballast look.

Back to the basement.

Edited by - LVRALPH on 03/04/2007 7:23:28 PM

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  3:27:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good post Ralph I too found that spraying on the ballast gave no gratitude and changed my way of flooding the ballast to a nozzle ended bottle filled with water\glue this was after a wet water wet down of course.

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  5:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great tutorial, Ralph! Same method that I use. I've found that instead of a pipette, though, I use empty contact lens saline solution bottles for the alcohol and for the glue mixture. They have a nice small opening so the alcohol and glue doesn't come gushing out; you can control it very easily. Just a slight twist on your method.

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  06:23:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a pic of yesterdays ballasting efforts at Hetchel.

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  06:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been working on another area at bridge 130 at Penn Haven. Still playing around. I need to drybrush the rocks still. I tried Bob VanGelders clear and white caulk idea for flowing water. I was trying to simulate a spring that was flowing down to the river.

[

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  01:27:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RALPH! What are you doing here? Stop with all this progress! We're not going to recognize the place!!!

Seriously though, it looks REALLY good Ralph! I can't wait to see it in person!

Mark

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  06:30:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mark. Since the layout is between op sessions, I decided I was tired of looking at the plywood pacific in thet area and wanted to get some base scenery in. I have enough energy for maybe two more sessions, then forget it.

What will happen is I will get bored and go onto a blast furnace, coal dock, asphalt plant, campbell kit, signal bridge, treichlers station diversion!

Edited by - LVRALPH on 03/06/2007 07:50:46 AM

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  07:22:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Ralph, how did the waterfall turn out using the caulk? Can you post a few more photos of your efforts with the caulk?

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  09:14:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ralph I like the idea of the spring.Now what about them trees can you give me some direction on making them look so great?

Page: of 30 Previous Topic: Turnout/Track Compatibility Topic Next Topic: A small expansion to my layout.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000