Railroad Line Forums - Scenery
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 73 ]  [ Total: 74 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Scenery
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Turnout/Track Compatibility Topic Next Topic: A small expansion to my layout.
Page: of 30

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  10:40:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Joe,

I was just being a smart... when I posted that and it probably needs to be removed. It is just amazing that the scenery area is so popular but yet not many postings. I would ike to see more people post to the scenery sections as I know there is some great modelers out there that do terrific scenery work. It is a part of the hobby that is so rewarding once people give it a try.

Now when it comes to talking to myself, I do that all the time. Doesn't everyone

AL, You bet this stuff would make great stucco, I was thinking the same thing as I was applying it. If you give it a try let me know what you think. I know this, it is much easier to work with that anything else I have tried, and its ready mixed.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  10:48:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ok now for SLOW JOHN, might be time to blow the water out of the line buddy, and get that pipe flowing faster for these large downloads.

I look forward to more of your scenery projects as well. I have to say, I was very impressed with what you accomplished. I hope that when I get to the rock work I can take some good photos that shows some of the methods that we use here in Indiana.

I do enjoy sharing the work as it helps keep me going and I find it makes me a better modeler. My hopes are that a bunch of fathers recieve digital cameras for fathers day and will join us on the forum.

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  10:20:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Tim,

Well, I notice that you are using ACE brand Wood Patch - it just so happens that a new ACE Hardware opened up about 4 blocks from my house (usually, they go out of business when the mega stores open up). Maybe I'll walk over there and get a can of that stuff and try it out for stucco. I've been stuck on my gas station challenge (haven't posted anything yet) for several weeks - maybe a stucco overcoat (over clapboard) might just be the ticket. Thanks for the inspiration! I'll keep you posted.

As to the lack of posts in the Scenery topic, I agree we could sure use more contributions. I am approaching beginning some scenery applications on the extension to my layout - I'll see if I can remember to take photos as I go along, and post some stuff.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  10:51:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, I just finished looking at your photos on the page before this. I was struck by how similar in configuration your mountain and tunnel portals are to mine. Your methods and materials are quite different from what I used a few years ago, but the overall look (shape, placement, etc.) is very similar.

For the mountain and tunnels at Millers Creek, I used the old fashioned cardboard web covered with plaster gauze and Sculptamold. For the tunnel portals, I used Chooch resin castings, rather than make my own. But for the connecting wall, I used a piece of Foam-core board, which I scribed with a T-pin to create the concrete form lines to match those on the castings. I then airbrushed the whole assembly and dusted it with chalk dust to make it look like weathered concrete. It's difficult to see in the photo below, but it really does resemble formed concrete.

As for photos, I didn't take any in-progress shots. This part of my layout was built several years ago, back in the dark ages before affordable digital cameras and decent internet forums.

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  11:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understood Tim. It did really take me a minute to figure out what was happening though. I wish I had more to post right now. I am so tied up with real world stuff I have a hard time getting to my modeling projects. I have a river bed crying out to be worked on ... I'll get there.

Joe <><

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  11:55:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear that we might see some new postings in the future.

Mike the scene looks great as with all your work, a true inspiration. On my tunnel lining I was going to use black poster board but finding it is a bit flimsy. Maybe if I double it up it might work too.

I really like the look of the offset of the double portals, and its the only place on the layout that will have this effect. I like your retaining walls and would like to put them on mine but the prototype does not call for them. Just a rock face ending at the portal face.

Al, We have been fortunate as our ACE has held its own against the the big box companies. I am certain it can be attributedto the management of this particular store. Very helpful and knowledgable staff to help you get in and out quick. Plus the prices are not much different. I do like the smaller type hardware store feel as well. I hope they continue to prosper as I will continue to give them my support.
Boy if I had an ACE a few blocks away it would dangerous for sure. I can hear Julie now....where is TIM?......Honey you should see the deal at ACE on this doo dad I need, and fathers day is just around the corner.

Joe, I know the feeling about how work gets in the way of things. My hope is that you get some time as we would all like to see the river bed scene on your layout.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  2:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trussman

On my tunnel lining I was going to use black poster board but finding it is a bit flimsy. Maybe if I double it up it might work too.

Tim, this is another thing that doesn't show up in my photo very well, but I made my tunnel liners from Foam-core board. I cut three pieces to the required length (17" each) for each tunnel. Then I covered each piece with plaster gauze and Sculptamold. After the stuff had dried completely, I sprayed each piece with flat black paint and glued them together (sides and ceiling). Once they were in place, I attached the portals and retaining walls and built the mountain over them. It was simple and cheap!

As for the opposite end, I still don't have the portals installed or the surrounding scenery finished, although the mountain itself is finished and fully scenicked. But the tunnels and tracks lead to a part of my layout that I'm still trying to "figure out" in terms of industries and scenery. (Some of our older members know it as my infamous "unfinished peninsula.")

Granted, most railroad tunnels are not "square" with nearly flat walls and ceiling, but for my layout it worked. Besides, even when I'm looking at the portals and inside, I can't see more than about 3 inches inside anyway. So it's good enough for me.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  6:24:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Tim, I'm really looking forward to watching how your tunnel scene develops. Like you, I used pink and blue styrofoam to build up my scenery...it's really easy to work with...and, better still, to plant trees, I simply poked a starter hole with an awl and added a tiny drop of white glue! For sure, you can scenic a rather large area in an evening.

Your thread is a super one. Perhaps the reason many do not respond to the scenery thread is that their layouts may not be at this stage yet...or that their layouts are completed already.

As for me, I could post completed scenery pics of my layout to show the finished product of styrofoam shaped hills and dales. I'm sometimes reluctant to post too many as my layout has already been in the press a number of times. I'd rather encourage others to do so...as I see Mike has done.

Thanks Mike, your layout is one of the best in my books! That tunnel scene of yours is a superb scenic example that Tim can replicate in the different scenic colours of his layout!

So, Tim...keep those postings coming. I enjoy them all!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  7:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,
I feel that I will be destined to be on dial up forever.
When I moved into my house which is the only one on the street I found a TV cable line from the street to my house.
When I called Charter Cable they said they bought out a smaller cable company and did not buy my street, so the cable lines belong to a now defunct cable company.

The telephone company will not consider upgrading since we do not have enough subscribers in my neighborhood to make it worth their while.

So unless Dish Network provides cable access I will always suffer the slowness of dial up.

On scenery, I would like to see what others have done and also wonder why more people have not posted to this topic.

I found it to be extremely interesting and also quite rewarding to be able to scenic a small part of my layout.

I know that most people post pictures of structures but hopefully more will post pictures of just plain scenery.

So Mike H post away for no matter how many times we see your layout it is not enough.

When I get some free time I would also like to go back through this forum and find all the different threads that have scenery construction as a theme and set up a thread with links simular to what Mike C did over in the Craftsman's Corner.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  8:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, I am just getting caught up on this thread due to family health issues. Nice work!!!!

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  9:28:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ralph, thanks.

Its was good to hear the family health concerns are beginnig to get better.

John, You are so right about scenery postings. I enjoy looking at everyones scenery no matter whether its of a rural, city, mountains, or just plain ole waterfront ( I had to say that for John, Bruce, and Don)
Sometimes it is helpful to point out little things that you had to overcome to achieve the look you wanted. I agree with John, lets see more photos in the scenery section, whether your scene is done or not. Click away.

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/10/2006 :  01:51:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tim,
I know the stack the foam trick all to well my self.

I know exactly were you are modeling an can't wait to see the finished thing.

Mike J

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/10/2006 :  02:02:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here's some scenery.

Mike J

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 06/10/2006 :  05:34:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You know one thing I failed to mention on the PINK styrofoam. Is that it came in 2 different types. THe number on the board was either 150 or 250, my guess is the density of the board. I used 150 which was 4.00 sheet difference. I paid 19.50 at Menards for a 4x8 sheet.

Mike, I can see you are a stacker too. In the 2nd group of photos I really like the looks of the trees against the wall. Did you make them or are they comercially available?
The other thing that caught my eye was in the first photo in the 2nd set. At first glance it looked like an old abandoned right away, then I noticed the turnout, roadbed etc. This has given me an idea of a place to model such a scene. So if you don't mind I will save this for future reference.
BTW the cuts look very good and I really like what you have done with the elevations changes.

electrolove
Section Hand

Posted - 06/10/2006 :  08:10:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit electrolove's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim,

I think your scenery work looks very good. You have made some progress from the last time I saw your work. I like the way you did the tunnel portal. It's always nice to learn new things from an expert like you. I'm looking forward to the rest.

Edited by - electrolove on 06/10/2006 09:02:22 AM

Page: of 30 Previous Topic: Turnout/Track Compatibility Topic Next Topic: A small expansion to my layout.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000