Railroad Line Forums - Backdrops
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Backdrops
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Turnout/Track Compatibility
Page: of 23

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2004 :  9:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few weeks back in the Discussion Forum I asked about what you do to work on an area you've been deliberately avoiding . The concensus was , after you run out of excuses , It'll get done .

Here is an update on my backdrop that I've avoided for three months after enjoying the actual painting of the backdrop . The mountains and their building materials posed a problem because I couldn't get it right . I tried foam , foam and plaster cloth , foam and plaster of Paris ....and then quit for a while .

Well , I did listen to you guys , ran myself out of excuses and GOT TO IT . Now these are mid construction pics with the first rough layer about done . I started on the left with plaster cloth over cardboard strips topped off with a thin coating of Sculpt-a-Mold . I ran out of both of these , ordered some more ( 2 weeks away ) and continued with good old heavy duty Polyfilla ( thinned ) soaked , paper towels over the cardboard strips .The area behind the roundhouse hase the base layer done as does most of the Lime Quarry area . More Sculpt-a-Mold will be used for the top layer .I have the roadbed for the double mainline set in and it will run over to an elevated double track that runs above and behind the Quarry .

Above is the overall area I've been working on and below are 4 segments of the area .

Now I don't think I'll be getting any phone calls on this from Davy Frary asking for tips but the point is things can be accomplished if you put your mind to it like everyone said 2 months ago .Besides I need progress pics for my website .

TERRY

hminky
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2004 :  9:31:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Terry,
Looks great to me.
Harold

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 07/06/2004 :  02:57:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry,

Your backdrop looks really nice. When your terrain is finished, it should blend in very well with it. I've got to get back to where I left off on my layout. I keep puttin' off what needs to be done for another two weeks while we get caught up on things that need/have to be done. Sometimes, we just have to dive in and keep a goin'.

Allen
Modelling the East in the West!

quote:
Originally posted by teejay

. . .after you run out of excuses , It'll get done. . .

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/06/2004 :  07:51:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry, looks very good to me. Finishing something that you have been avoiding is always a good feeling.

As you think, so will you be.

Will_Annand
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/06/2004 :  09:08:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Will_Annand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking real good Terry, when you finish there, I have a 3 part 22 foot long back backdrop you can play with... :)

--
Will Annand
Modeling the CVR in N Scale.
www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2004 :  3:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't expecting compliments with such an unfinished state , but thank you for the encouragement . The lime quarry will have the lime kiln situated in it with a track under the kiln hopper and a turnout and siding as a holding area . A winding road will lead the big trucks to the imaginary area behind the kiln where the stone is mined and returned to the kiln conveyor to lift it to the top of kiln hopper .There will also be a pond of standing water behind the kiln and under the elevated tracks .
I'll do a mock up of this in a few days and post some pics to better explain what I'm talking about .Meanwhile I'll continue picking away at the backdrop so I don't fall into the trap of stopping for a while .

TERRY

TERRY

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  3:59:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slowly but surely the backdrop is starting to look like A REAL BACKDROP . The nice thing is , with something starting to look complete it makes you want to do more work . I might actually show someone this other than my wife !

Now to get going on the lime quarry situated at the area below the curved girder bridge.

TERRY

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  4:22:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry, it's looking really good. I'm ashamed to admit you've made more progress on yours in one week than I have on mine in 3 years. I think I'll stroll down to the basement.....

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  10:16:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a question regarding the construction of a small forrested area . If you look at my backdrop pic above , the one with the bridge on the right side , the blue area below the green is where I want it to go . Presently there is a Power Plant sitting on that plateau to the right of the bridge , but NOT against the wall .

I was planning to use lichen 'treetops' with 3-D trees in the very front row of trees .
My problem is , most forests that I see in magazines are on angled mountains . I can't visualize a very real effect if the trees are all flat against the wall .I have , at most, an inch of space out from the wall to work with .

Any ideas from our creative people out there ?

Thanks , TERRY

hminky
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  11:04:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Terry,
This is what I am trying to do. I have zero inches from my road to the backdrop. I am gluing lichen to the backdrop to be a brush line. I hope to blend the new colors into the backdrop to transition the lichen to the painted area. I haven't decided whether I like this look but will try some more ideas.

Now that I am modeling in O scale and developed O scale eyesthe coarseness of scenic material in the smaller scales looks just right.
Hope that helps
Harold

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  12:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harold , i think you've done a superb job with your backdrop .I had to look at it a couple of times to decide what was real and what was paint , the way you have the shading done .Given that you have no 3-D room to work with , it is most effective .

One idea I did have was to construct the front row of trees from screening , cut to resemble a row of coniferous trees and flocked with WS foam or ground cover .But using lichen for the treetops behind that front row of trees would suggest deciduous trees and ultimately look ridiculous and unrealistic.
I could construct deciduous 3-D trees for the front row , but have to worry about filling in the spaces between all the exposed tree trunks . Lichen in this area could resemble cedar bushes , I suppose , and fill those spaces . I'll check out my old Dave Frary book , if I can find it and see if he covers this issue somewhere .

TERRY

hminky
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  12:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Terry,
Thank you. Most forest edges have tremendous amounts of undergrowth at forest edges. That is the only space for bushes to grow. That is the look I am trying to achieve. Frary I believe covers this in his book. A great book that has been discontinued for a lessor effort of old recycled MR articles.
Harold

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  8:36:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been working away at the backdrop but it's been well over a month since I've shown anything . The mountainous area still requires trees and final details and now I'm working my way around to the steel mill backdrop .

One thing about weathering an industrial scene , particularly a dirty steel mill , is you can go very heavy on the weathering and get away with it as you'll see below . I'm going to be connecting the backdrop with the powerhouse by means of a pipe from the turbos to the mill building .

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  12:35:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Continuing with the backdrop , I'm using paint ( obviously ) , styrene and cardstock pieces , part of a mural that I cut out and glued and a foggy overspray to create the grimy look of a distant mill .A wood fence will be made and placed above the cement walls to try to help blend the foreground with the backdrop .

TERRY

hminky
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  08:22:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Terry,
Looks real good. I see the October Model Railroader has articles on backdrops. They are the usual see it's easy for me and you can do it too.Yeh,right. Vague impressionism with bold strokes is the key to backdrops.
Harold

Page: of 23 Topic Next Topic: Turnout/Track Compatibility  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000