Railroad Line Forums - Backdrops
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Backdrops
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Turnout/Track Compatibility
Page: of 23

skylar
New Hire

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  2:50:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
belg,
All that you see is painted by me using the colors and techniques in Daryl Huffman's video/dvd.
It seemed remarkably easy.

I was afraid the pictures may be too big but it looked like they were resized when I posted them.
So I don't frustrate anyone can you tell me if I can edit the posting thatis allready their or should I resend a new one. This forum stuff is all new to me.

Thanks for your comments.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  3:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
I love the backdrop that you have created.
Since I model Alaska these snow covered mountains would be perfect.
I was planning to visit my daughter in Alaska this summer and stop and see Daryl to get his video.
However I am in the process of moving and I think after what I have seen you accomplish I will get his video now.

To post a picture in the forum rather than a link there is a tutorial here on the forum that you can use to do this.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4761

Also to post this way you will need to resize your pictures to 80kb or less.
Here is another tutorial that explains how to do this.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5383

The last time I checked the link at the Gauge was missing so here is a link to download XNView if you need a program to resize your pictures.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enxnview.html

I also saved one of your pictures to my hard drive and resized it and posted it as an example.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  4:25:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Skylar, first off, welcome to RR-L. Glad to have you aboard.

Second... that's a beautiful backdrop you painted! Absolutely convincing! I've seen Darryl's video mentioned several times before, but this is the first time I've seen a finished backdrop that was directly the result of his video. Very nicely done!

skylar
New Hire

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  8:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bbags and Mike C.

Thanks for the nice remarks and the help with using the forum message posting.
I resized and follwed your instructions for inserting a photo and hopefully it will post with this message.

Mike C. I purchased the DVD at a very fair price and got a very quick delivery by Daryl. I bought the DVD version so I could play it on my laptop while traveling for work and then later in the garage where I could review some of the steps as I was about to do them. Daryl seems like a very nice gentleman and would probably be enjoyable to meet in any case.

skylar
New Hire

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  9:11:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oops missed the square brackets on the end !!

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  9:15:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Skylar,

Welcome aboard and I have to say that is one great backdrop you have done. I guess it is time for me to contact Daryl for a copy.

Harry

skylar
New Hire

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  02:08:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thankyou Harry,
My daughter in law likes it so much she wants me to give it a try on her kitchen wall. One nice thing is if she doesnt like it She can paint over it.

sparkman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  09:00:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning everyone,
Just wanted to let you know I believe Daryl has his video listed on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11648&item=3194592378&rd=1
Have a nice day.
-david j

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  10:36:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The video is also listed for sale on Darryl's web site.
The video sell for $19 which includes shipping to the US.
While there you might want to check out the other topics that are listed as there is some nice material there.
I have posted the picture of the Alaska Packers Association structure before since this is my kind of roof.

http://www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/photo5.html

John Bagley

Darryl L Huffman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/29/2004 :  02:29:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darryl L Huffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a great forum, but for a first time user, I have found it hard to get setup. But hopefully I am finally here.

I appreciate the kind words about my backdrop painting video. I am not an artist, in fact I usually tell people the only thing I can draw is flies. But I am a long time layout builder who has had too many layouts to number, most of which had the backdrop painted first. I've made a lot of mistakes over the past 30+ years of painting backdrops and have tried to learn from each one of them.

When I look through the latest Gazette or other train magazines. I always look at the backdrops for ideas and techniques.

My preferred way of painting is to find a scene I like, eliminate the parts I don't want, and start painting, adding anything I want to add.

When I travel, even around my home town of Anchorage, Alaska, I always keep a camera handy to photograph anything I may want to incorporate into a future painting. I also rip out pages from all kinds of magazines which have nice scenery in them.

I really enjoy painting Rocky Mountain type of scenery. But I frequently try other types of scenes as well.

The attached photo (I hope it comes through OK) is of a new project in which I am trying to show scenery similar to what I remember in the New England area. The Hudson River School of Painting is a particular style of painting that has great influence upon my painting. This project is an effort to develop this style.

If anyone has any questions that I can help with, let me know.

Darryl

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2004 :  08:56:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Darryl, and welcome to RR-L. Glad to have you aboard!

You may say you're not an artist, but I'd have to disagree. Your backdrop painting is a work of art as are the models in your website photos! Very nicely done!

I edited the "coding" on your photo link so the picture would display directly with your post. (All I was seeing was the dreaded "red X" and the file name of your photo.) Here's a link to a tutorial on how to include photos with posts.
http://www.railroad-line.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4761

Uploading photos directly from your hard drive is a lot easier than trying to link to the forum's Photo Album or to a remote website. It's the method that almost all of us use to include photos with our posts.

I really hope to see more of your work.

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 05/29/2004 :  10:09:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darryl,

First, welcome to the RR-L forum. Secondly, I think you will be the solution to my frustrations in painting backdrops. Please, let us see more of your work. And I agree with Mike..your backdrops are art.

Jim

Darryl L Huffman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  12:06:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darryl L Huffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the pointers on uploading the photos so they show up automatically. That was going to be my next question.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/31/2004 :  8:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darryl,
I would like to add my thanks for your posting a picture of your painting.
I also like your web site and the Alaska Packer diorama is one of my favorites.
The roof is definitely my all time favorite roof.
Again thanks for sharing your work.

John Bagley

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 05/31/2004 :  9:29:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These pictures remind me of BC Canada. On leaving Vancouver by air plane if your lucky to be on the left side (North) and the plane heads East and climbs all you can see is mountain row after mountain row as far as the eye cans see. It never ceases to amaze me as it looks totally impenetrable. To think that back in the late 1700's and early 1800's people walked that area heading North.

Walt

Page: of 23 Topic Next Topic: Turnout/Track Compatibility  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000