Railroad Line Forums - Backdrops
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 127 ]  [ Total: 133 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Backdrops
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Turnout/Track Compatibility
Page: of 23

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  9:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK , we'll do a MINI TUTORIAL here .Bear in mind that Drew ,Tom and Bags are much better at tutorials than I am but here goes :

1) BRUSHES

This multi-pak was only $9 Canadian .I use mainly one 1" brush ( hardware store paintbrush ) so I can load 3 colours at once but that's a different story .

2)SPONGE

Mark ( aka DRYFORK ) likes sponges and does an outstanding job with them .

3)Mark put me on to the $3 palette - get it !

4)Steal the wifes measuring cup and play dumb if she asks about it ...good for mixing stuff if you are painting a large area .

5)Paints ...2 types of acrylic ( water based )

Tube ( concentrate ) will go further but need to be mixed for the desired shade . The craft types are thinner but come in many more shades ...your choice , BOTH a good deal .
Guys , the whole thing costs about $25 and will go a LONG WAY .Good bang for the buck .

Here is the reason I know most of you guys can do this ...I know how you think !

Different Scenario ..bear with me ..

Mike C says that the next Challenge is a hilltop town requiring atleast 10 structures ...take and post pics .The modelling mind out there thinks - selective compression - I get 5 structures , only use half the walls , build 10 models , take pics at the appropriate angles and WHO'S TO KNOW . Ten structures that are partly illusion .RIGHT !!

TERRY says , paint me a forest with 50 trees .So you guys would paint 45 tree TOPS and give me 5 complete ones in front .Same line of thinking as Mike's 10 structures .

See , the thinking is there , the medium is different , that's all .

Have Fun ..TERRY

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  10:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the finished product to this point ...total time about 2 hours work . This is my third try since I wasn't happy with previous results . I realized my hills needed to be gentler in slope .This background is unfinished in the sense that it SETS UP the foreground 3 dimentional areas ( lower blue in these pictures ) In the lower blue areas I'll be using foam and rock castings and some foliage if I feel the need .So I may need to slightly fine tune this background scene to blend effectively with the foreground 3 D effects.

Once again , give things a try . If you fail , don't despair .Maybe try to sketch basically what you want on the wall . I still do this although rarely follow the sketch as I go . Sometimes this gets me in trouble but it is only time and paint .

TERRY

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2004 :  01:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry,

Thanks for the tutorial. I agree that back drops are so important. You do a great job.

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 03/02/2004 01:12:46 AM

Will_Annand
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/02/2004 :  09:15:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Will_Annand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good Terry, thanks for the tutorial, I have saved this page for future reference.

--
Will Annand
Modeling the CVR in N Scale.
www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/02/2004 :  11:46:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good tutorial, Terry.

However... 10 structures?? I'm lucky to get one or two done in a year! At that rate, well, lessee....

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/02/2004 :  3:04:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job Terry
Both the tutorial and the backdrop you have painted look really good.
Thanks for the "Anyone can do this explanation".
Now where did I put my paint brush.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

DryFork
Section Hand

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  06:53:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by teejay

Here is the finished product to this point ...total time about 2 hours work . This is my third try since I wasn't happy with previous results .

TERRY

Terry-

You can really knock out a nice scene fast. 2 hours would barely be enough time for me to block the landforms and start blotting in the trees. Your airbrush work really helps "knock back" the far ridges into the distance.

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  08:18:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried the airbrush the very first time I attempted this backdrop but I can't get the hang of it as it doesn't seem to put down much paint ...maybe I had it too thin .At the rate I was going it would have taken days so I set that aside , used 2 brushes ( 1" and 1/4" ) and a can of flat white Home Depot spray paint .
I also really like olive green for my main closer green as the brown in the green seems to stand out the way I want .
The 'greenier ' hill on the right could have been done my mixing on the pallette ..if I new what I wanted ..but since it was my third try and really wasn't sure , I tried an old trick .
Using Bayberry ( light ) Shamrock ( medium ) and Aspen ( darker ) I put all three on a wider brush with the Bayberry at the tip .As i was painting I would put a little more pressure on the brush which would bring out the Shamrock and I would blend it in .A little heavier to get to the Aspen .Once I was satisfied with how it was looking I used a clean brush to finish up the dark colours . The result was close to what I wanted so I'll leave it alone and move on to try the foreground rocks .
The white mist was the easiest and messiest part as you have to hold the can 1 to 2 feet away and move it quickly .Dropcloths are absolutely essential on everything within 20 feet , that stuff really flies .

Think I'll have to check out the archives on plaster rock facings..haven't done it in 10 years .I found a very old 1/2 full bag of Polyfilla and decided to use it up by casting about 15 rocks .Heavy stuff , but seems to work ..I haven't painted anything yet as it ( Polyfilla ) takes a long time to dry all the way through .I've got some thin pink insulation for backing .This may be a struggle but I'll post something in a few days.

TERRY

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  12:04:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark , I just recieved the Gazette article you mailed ...looks very intereseting although I've only had time to scan it .I'll check it over more thoroughly tonight .Thanks a lot .
Yes , it has been great fun throwing around ideas with you .

TERRY

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  5:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tutorial Terry. I have referenced it for when I am ready to do backdrops. I think what you have been doing with them is great.

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 03/07/2004 :  12:58:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On my backdrop I am going to make a rock facing of some sort to be placed in the lower blue area of the pictures . Since I haven't done this for many years , I thought I would experiment with more than one material .
1) Since I had an old 1/2 full bag of PolyFilla , I thought I would use it up by casting some rocks .
2)I bought 1 package of Woodland Scenics Plaster cloth .I wanted to cover a slab of pink foam that had smaller irregular pieces glued on to it for rock protrusions.I would then use WS Mold -A-Scene over the plaster cloth .
3)More rock castings with Plaster of Paris .

So far .....
I'm leaning towards the Plaster of Paris .It seems to produce a sharper contour than the PolyFilla ,probably getting into all the nooks and crannies of the mold a little better .

I'm very disappointed with the plaster cloth .Perhaps the base I provided for it wasn't suitable but I expected it to be able to conform to the shapes I provided and it didn't . For the money , I might be better off using paper towels soaked in Hydrocal .

Nothing has been painted or alcohol washed yet , so I'll finish all three and see what that looks like .

TERRY
4)

wrongsideofthetracks
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  11:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit wrongsideofthetracks's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Terry, when are you comming over to paint my backdrop??????? I will make sure the beer is plenty cold!!!!

Karl F.

http://apachemodelworks.blogspot.ca
British Columbia, Canada

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  09:11:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey , cold beer , where do you live ...only 3000 miles away ? No problemo ! I haven't done any more as I've been struggling ( losing ) with the sheer cliffs that will go below the backdrop scene . I'm going back to the old cardboard strips method . My effort with foam looked pretty grim .
TERRY

skylar
New Hire

Posted - 05/19/2004 :  7:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all of you on this forum on backdrops.
First of all I have never posted on a forum before so I hope I do this right.

I have a unique situation in that I have an O scale layout in my garage that hoists to the ceiling when not in use. With all your ideas and pictures plus the great dvd from the genleman in Alaska I have a mural that is painted onthe wall about 24 inches from the layout and side murals that I can set up and take down with the layout in under 10 minutes. I have enclosed some before and after photos. It was great fun really enjoyed painting the backdrops.

Download Attachment: IMG_3519.JPG
833.74 KB

Download Attachment: IMG_3588.JPG
448.38 KB

Download Attachment: IMG_3589.JPG
469.33 KB

Download Attachment: IMG_3593.JPG
492.77 KB

Download Attachment: IMG_3599.JPG
407.42 KB

Download Attachment: IMG_3595.JPG
815.78 KB

belg
Fireman

Posted - 05/19/2004 :  7:32:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
skylar, you might want to think about resizing some of your photos as I think the guys on dail up will be waiting forever for them to open. Some very nice work you've done there did you paint all the mountains or are the ones in the fat back a mural? If not they are very convincing. Pat

Page: of 23 Topic Next Topic: Turnout/Track Compatibility  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000