Railroad Line Forums - Backdrops
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 144 ]  [ Total: 153 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Backdrops
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: A small expansion to my layout. Topic Next Topic: SL&N construction blog
Page: of 23

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2004 :  09:08:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark , since you asked , I'll go with my immediate reaction for what it's worth ...too sparse .Coniferouus trees in this area grow in bunches , if unharvested and assuming a fire hasn't caused them to have to regrow .
I would be using a brush here but since you like sponges , use a flat sponge and cut it in the shape of a pine tree .Coat it with paint ( alternate the greens slightly every third or fourth tree ) and sort of stamp the tree on the paint surface .Do a row like that , moving the stamp up and down slightly to show a LITTLE variation in height .You can do several rows if you choose , each row overlapping the next so that you see mostly treetops .It looks like you want to have some small clearings , so of course allow for those and use a lighter colour .

TERRY

DryFork
Section Hand

Posted - 02/28/2004 :  09:39:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moving around to the right, large areas are blocked in with olive green, burnt umber, and burnt siena.

Dark colors are used to represent close and low landforms. Lighter colors are used for farther away and high landforms.

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2004 :  10:22:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's looking really good Mark , a LOT of country that you are displaying there , clouds look great peeking over the mountain tops .Nice work .
I'm not 100% happy with my latest effort ...a lot of time and paint but I don't think I nailed it .Frankly , I to say this but mine is no better than the first effort but I'm going to do some rock castings to finish it off and see if I'm any happier .
So many projects !!

TERRY

DryFork
Section Hand

Posted - 02/29/2004 :  07:22:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some closeups to show texture.

The foreground areas of the backdrop are blocked and painted in relatively dark colors. Then I take a soft sea sponge, wet it, and squeeze all the water out of it that I can. I use it to lightly touch on light and bright highlights over the dark paint on the backdrop. You can compare that with more distant landforms, which are flatter and have less sharp texture.

You can see some of my brushpainted spruces here...could use some revisions.

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 02/29/2004 :  10:15:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My three backdrops arrived from Peachcreek Hobbies in Laurel , Maryland .They were less than $8 each and measure about 13" x 39 " .I will be blending them into the blue backdrop and using some false fronts to join them to the 3 dimentional buildings .

TERRY

DryFork
Section Hand

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  05:34:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a new month, and my backdrop progress pictures have dragged on long enough ...too much information!

Terry has provided a good segway out of coal and lumber country and into steel country. Terry, I am interested in seeing how you will incorporate the photographs of the steel mill buildings into your painted backdrop.

This last progress shot shows the only building on my backdrop. Since the barn is the only building in the real Osceola, I included it in Osceola on my layout.

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  08:51:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good , Mark , and I see you've also started on your rock castings .It sure is coming together .
Of the 3 mill scenes , the middle one will be used in the most eastern part of the layout as I try to use the obvious shadowing in that picture to go with another sunrise attempt .The other two will be spaced from each other and I'll have to figure out a way to realistically connect everything .
I repainted about half of my misty backdrop and stopped to regroup ....need to give it more thought as I was not happy with the first 2 efforts .

TERRY

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  09:22:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark and Terry
This has been a very interesting and informative discussion up to this point.
One of the reasons I made the backdrops thread a sticky is that this is a subject that will at some point be of interest to many other members of this forum.
So Mark there can never be too much information.
I hope the two of you will keep this discussion going as there is so much valuable information being presented here.
Thanks guys.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  10:48:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

Mark and Terry
This has been a very interesting and informative discussion up to this point.

I agree, John. I've been following this discussion with a lot of interest for several days. My own backdrops have just been rudimentary skies painted on sheetrock with a few spray painted clouds for effect. Now, if I want to become more elaborate than in the past, I've got some good "how-to's" in this thread that I can refer to.

Thanks, guys, and I'll be watching for more.

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  11:37:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike , I think I read that you had an early background in art before you came to the conclusion , as I did , that there were many talented ....STARVING ...artists out there .I dabbled in art back in highschool but more toward cartoons ..automobile design and such .Our group used to sneer at landscape art , thinking it was ' sissie stuff '!
But anybody can get the basics of backdrop artwork . If you don't want to buy a book try to keep some simple things in mind .

1)create a horizon that is about eye-level in height .
2)Understand that colours appear more neutral and drab in the distance.I think Dave Frary called his greens ' background green ', closer green , very close green ' to illustrate that point .Mark has done a great job with his autumn colours to prove that point .Look how neutral his backgroungd colours are .
3)Experiment with vanishing points ( usually the same as the horizon to keep it simple )and lightly draw lines forward to get an idea of perspective .
4) Lastly , if you are using a brush like I do ( Mark does nice work with sponges ),turn the brush sideways , dip in some paint , and experiment with lightly touching the paint surface .This will result in a very thin line which you can control with more or less pressure to create a thinner or thicker line .

Have some fun with these basics and you can have a decent , passable backdrop in no time .

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  12:31:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike , in looking at my last reply , it appears that I'm directing the tips at you when I mean to direct them at those who haven't done or are afraid to paint a backdrop . I realize that you know this stuff already !

TERRY

Will_Annand
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  4:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Will_Annand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Careful there Terry, you know that Mike knows everything about everything... he is one of the Model RR Gods...

Actually, I for one am benefitting from this discussion.

Thanks and Keep it up.

--
Will Annand
Modeling the CVR in N Scale.
www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  4:21:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can tell by the number of hits that this is a popular topic. I'm more of a bystander since I have never tried backdrops. So, I don't have anything to contribute. But, I think I can benefit from the discussion! Thanks!!!

Chuck

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  4:51:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry you make it sound so easy.
I used to watch the painter who was on educational TV do his landscapes and he also made it look so easy.
For me with very little painting experience of this type it ain't so easy.
I wonder if I could do better with a Dremel.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  6:26:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John I think a couple of things should be mentioned .First , people try to paint too much detail , mess up and get frustrated . One needs to develope a ' less is more ' attitude with regard to backdrops . You have to create an ILLUSION of something like I did with my misty forest .There is nothing in that backdrop that , if you looked closely , is a tree . I've just thrown around some paint to give that illusion .The colours are drab . No detail . If I did individual trees it would throw out the perspective of distance .
Secondly , folks are afraid of making mistakes . YOU WILL MAKE MISTAKES !! I make mistakes . Who cares , paint is cheap .The guy on TV you are talking about used to paint scenes with a 6 inch paint brush . He was a master of illusion .
I've already painted over my scene twice and half of the third one until I get it right .It has cost me time and about 10 bucks worth paint . I'll post some pics when I'm done .

TERRY

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: A small expansion to my layout. Topic Next Topic: SL&N construction blog  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000