Railroad Line Forums - Backdrops
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Backdrops
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: A small expansion to my layout. Topic Next Topic: SL&N construction blog
Page: of 23

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  07:16:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What puzzles me is the furthest part back in my background appears almost tan in the picture .Yet it was a combination of a lot of flat white , dark green and Mars black .I expected a greyish - green !Go figure .I'll have to go back on it with dark highlights to give it some shape I think , as I'm not going to repaint it a different colour at this stage .
Rich ,I will be adding foliage to the foreground but have to decide on how to step the background down to the double mainline tracks running just in front of the backdrop .Since we are talking about 10 feet , I don't want to make a stone wall , that would be boring .It will have to be more of a combination of things I think . Still deciding and trying to get a feel .There will be two fairly big hills on either side of the valley .The one you see on your left , I may have an N scale structure near the top to force the perspective .The hill on the right ..hard to describe but will descend into another valley that is the basis of a large steel mill .

This is a fun thread

TERRY

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  9:38:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fellas , have you ever modelled something and not been 100% satisfied with it .You go away and come back hours or maybe a day later ...perhaps you'll have a different feel for whatever it is that's bugging you . Tried it . Did it ........repainted it ! I just couldn't get that ' tan ' area ( supposed to be greyish green ) out of my head and , since it was in the center of the backdrop , it was the first thing I'd see .Tried to touch it up ...no go .It's now blue and I'll start over again ...cost me some paint and time . Oh well .
Back to the drawing board !

TERRY

louis and Sabrina
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  03:30:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great photo's! Terry, I really liked that mist. I'll bet that effect would also work well for a winter scene with ice fog.

John, have you watched the backdrop painting video you mentioned? I was wondering if it might be worth picking up a copy, since we're planning a trip to Anchorage next month. We're lucky to have an in-house artist (Sabrina) She did a really nice job of painting the two kids rooms. One has the walls covered with a birch forest scene and the other is a sky with clouds. I'm anxious to see how her backdrop painting turns out. I'm going to show her this thread, I think it will really get her inspired! Thanks! ...Louis

DryFork
Section Hand

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  06:32:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry,

I faxed the backdrop painting article to you. If the fax is worthless, let me know and I will mail you the copies.

Starting over, or doing major revisions, is sometimes the only way to get what you want.

I printed out the scans of the slides to have on hand to refer to while painting the backdrop.

I sketched the basic composition on the backdrop with pencil. Composition in the corners of the backdrop shoud be simple, with long, simple diagonal ridge lines that continue through the entire curved part of the backdrop.

I started painting the farthest landforms first by blocking in the shapes with straight white paint. I then went over the white with blue/purple washes to add tone.

I applied the washes with sea sponges I bought at a craft store. In the dark lower part of the photo you can see my paints, sponges, and the cheap plastic cutting board I use as a paint pallete.

The washes of color for the extreme distant ridges were done with very wet sponges. Color was applied a little at a time until the landforms looked balanced against the tone of the sky.

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  08:47:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very effective , Mark ,and an interesting way of doing it with sea sponges .I've got you beat on the pallette as I use a piece of carboard with finger holes cut in it , doesn't get much cheaper than that !
We have a new Michaels store opening soon in this area . I understand a lot of you guys like them for craft supplies .Thats another problem I have ...no discount pricing except for the little bit of stuff that Wallfart carries . I'll need to do a better job of paint and colour supplies ...starting today .
I'll check the fax when I get to work , Mark , thanks .Great job , so far .

TERRY

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  2:02:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, thanks for trying but I don't see anything at this end .Normally if there is a problem faxing , it will spit out an error message at your end within about 10 minutes of faxing . In any case , the dealership info is :

Terry Jolliffe
Rose City Ford
6333 Tecumseh Rd. E.
Windsor , Ont . Canada N8T 1E7

Thanks for going to all this trouble , Mark .

TERRY

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  3:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by louis and Sabrina

John, have you watched the backdrop painting video you mentioned? I was wondering if it might be worth picking up a copy, since we're planning a trip to Anchorage next month. We're lucky to have an in-house artist (Sabrina) She did a really nice job of painting the two kids rooms. One has the walls covered with a birch forest scene and the other is a sky with clouds. I'm anxious to see how her backdrop painting turns out. I'm going to show her this thread, I think it will really get her inspired! Thanks! ...Louis

Hi Louis and all
The video that you mentioned is done by Darryl Huffman and I have not purchased it as yet.
Darryl is the moderator/owner of the finescaleminiatures Yahoo Group.
Everyone who has purchased it says it is excellent.
It is specifically for painting mountains and valleys.
Here is an advertisement and his address in Anchorage Alaska.
I will get one this summer when I am visiting my daughter.

Easy Backdrop Painting - Mountains and Valleys

This new, easy to follow 90 minute video, is designed to help the beginner and experienced painter as well. This video was produced in response to the countless questions about how the backdrops were painted on my layouts.

This full color video features step-by-step instructions and demonstrations of two types of backdrop scenes---mountains and valleys.

The video discusses specific paints to use, the types of brushes needed, ideas about how to use perspective, and, of course, the actual backdrop paintings themselves.

Mountains

The first half of the new video is devoted to painting this range of mountains. Additionally, the video was planned to show how to incorporate a new section of backdrop paintings into earlier paintings. This is very valuable for anyone who is expanding their layout. How to blend sky colors, provide a feeling of distance in a backdrop, size and composition of mountain scenes, as well as providing highlights to the mountains are all covered.

Valleys

Beginning with a simple sky color, you follow along as the distant mountains are developed. See how additional hills on the sides of the valley are painted to provide a feeling of depth in the scene. Finally, easy directions on how to paint three types of trees.
The scene at the right is from the video. It is explained and demonstrated in approximately 45 minutes--the actual time spent painting this valley scene.

Order Your Copy Today

This video was filmed using the very latest in digital technology. Each VHS copy is transferred directly to the videotape from the digital original. The DVD version is produced directly from the digital master. This means that there is no loss of quality sometimes found in mass produced videos.

In addition to the 90 minute video itself, a printout of specific brands and colors of paints used is included, along with a listing and description of specific brushes.

The video sells for nineteen dollars which includes Priority Mail shipment to anywhere in the United States. The price is the same for the DVD or VHS version. Please specify which version you would like to have.

Payment can be made by personal check or money order. For your convience, Paypal can also be used. For Paypal purchasers, my email address is: darrylhuffman@alaska.com.

Personal checks and money orders should be mailed to:

Darryl Huffman

Pacific Video Distributors

12020 Old Seward Highway

Anchorage, AK 99515

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  3:34:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark , one other thing before I forget ...you say that you block out the shapes first in white paint .What is the purpose of this , simply to define your shape more so than the pencil sketch ? Could the blue background interfere with the colours your laying over top , necessitating a ' primer ' ?

TERRY

DryFork
Section Hand

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  06:10:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by teejay

Mark , one other thing before I forget ...you say that you block out the shapes first in white paint .What is the purpose of this , simply to define your shape more so than the pencil sketch ? Could the blue background interfere with the colours your laying over top , necessitating a ' primer ' ?

TERRY

Terry-

As I progress from farthest away to closest landforms, I block each in with succesively darker base colors. So white would be the "farthest away" base color, with olive green and burnt umber being the "closest" base colors. Since the farthest ridges are painted on in thin, watery washes, the white does keep the previously applied sky and clouds from showing through.

I find sea sponges easy to paint with. Primarily because it is impossible to do any detail work with them, which I invariably try to do with a brush. Also, the right sea sponges will create very treelike textures on the backdrop with no trouble. I prefer smaller sponges with tight texture and no big holes in them. I bought 3 big bags of sponges to get 3 sponges that I like to paint with. Blocking in is done by smearing wet paint on the backdrop with a wet sponge. Tree detail is done by pressing heavier paint on with a drier sponge. Twig and leaf detail is done last by lightly tapping full strength paint on with a nearly dry sponge

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  09:40:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark that look is very impressive and I like the way you have created a feeling of distance with the shading and intensity ....it looks like that far hill is 25 or 30 miles away .
I'm also amazed at the exclusive use of sponges and no brushing for detail . I tried cutting a sponge in the shape of a coniferous tree and daubing it with paint for my medium to fairly close trees . I definitely didn't have the right sponge because the look was not convincing .
I might experiment with your method . I went to Wallmart yesterday and loaded up with supplies including their lo-buck tube acrylics that I hope will be ok .Paint is paint I would think .I used your paint chart for reference but did not get all of them since I don't have an autumn scene .
Thanks for the great tips .

TERRY

DryFork
Section Hand

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  06:21:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the problems with painting with sponges is that your paint palette quickly comes to resemble a barnyard. It is difficult to control which paints end up getting mixed together.

I put the paints on my palette in a particular order. That way, the colors that tend to get mixed together look okay mixed. This method of distributing paint will also allow you to have several different colors of paint on different areas of the sponge at once, which can add depth and variety to the backdrop.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  11:03:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, this is an excellent thread you have going. Have you thought about writing it up as a magazine article?

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  1:24:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark , would you be so kind as to take a pic of a new sponge and post it ? I'm sure I don't have the right kind ...it just makes a mess and I used your technique . I've gone back to brushes just as I used on the previous backdrop .

Thanks , Terry

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  5:53:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On second thought , Mark , no need to do that as I did a little shopping today and think I found the ' sea sponges ' . That's because it said ' SEA SPONGES ' on the package
I'm not going to undo what I already have but I'll maybe work the sponge effect in somewhere else .

TERRY

DryFork
Section Hand

Posted - 02/27/2004 :  08:20:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry-

I'll be happy to post a shot of one of my sponges, but I doubt if there is anything unusual about the ones I am using.

I appreciate that you gave the sponge technique a try. The photos you posted of your brush painted backdrop show that you are very good with a brush. I am not, however...whenever I tried following a how-to article explaining backdrop painting with brushes, I ended up with a big mess.

Painting with sponges is a big mess for me too, but I stick with it until it works. The lack of control is actually a good thing in my case. With a brush I have a tendency to work too small and too detailed.

This shot shows (2) foreground ridges. The one on the left is pretty much done, while the one on the lower right is just getting started.

I brush paint conifers and rock outcroppings on my backdrop, and am not very pleased with how either come out. Maybe you could help me out with some pointers.

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: A small expansion to my layout. Topic Next Topic: SL&N construction blog  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000