Railroad Line Forums - Backdrops
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Backdrops
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Turnout/Track Compatibility
Page: of 23

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/22/2015 :  03:32:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leeflan

...I am somewhat envious of your 4 hour drive to shoot your prototype. According to the map program, I am a mere 32 1/2 hours from mine....

I have another advantage--when I get there I am certain that the mountains will still look the same after 95 years. There is a open pit copper mine that swallowed 3 towns, but that is what photoshop GIMP is for. :)

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/24/2015 :  4:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a supplemental reference for backdrops, there is a new thread, "CLOUDS", under Model Railroad Construction
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45119

Due to technical considerations it could not be addded directly as a separately named thread to the Backdrops thread, but if there are enough examples it could become a Sticky near Backdrops that can be readily found when you need a cloud day. (Where is Joe Btfsplk when he's needed?)

Edited by - Bill Gill on 04/24/2015 4:25:03 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/24/2015 :  5:36:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

(Where is Joe Btfsplk when he's needed?)

Hiding in the rain under a cloud.

Pete
in Michigan

N2626
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2016 :  07:36:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(Per Bbags from Post Number 1 of this thread:)
"This thread is for discussion on how to do backdrops.
Do you use the simple backdrop with blue sky and clouds and how do you do it.
Do you use commercial backdrops or your own photos.
Any method used can be discussed in this thread".

I actually hand painted my back drops (and some areas still need completion). I do have some artistic abilities left over from grade school I guess; but, as I worked with the painting process, I became much better at it! I had spent a few months in the Absaroka Mountain Range in Wyoming after getting out of the ARMY (these are the mountains of Yellowstone Park, near Cody Wyoming). I fell in love with this area and wanted to reproduce it on my railroad. The only way I could do this was to paint the back drops myself as photos did not exist. I found hand painting to be fun to do and easily correctable, as you simply paint over what you don't like. It was the philosophy at the time that a back drop should not be super realistic as that would draw attention away from the layout itself. I also used paper cut-outs from a Walthers "Sierra Boomtown" back drop of a mine glued to the back drop and Walthers Instant Buildings of a yard scene to augment my back drops. Overall, I had a fun time creating my back drops and wonder why more people don't try to paint there backdrops as it can be a source of great pride fro the modeler! My older sister, who actually is an artist, was impressed with what I had done!

Edited by - N2626 on 02/28/2016 07:41:18 AM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2016 :  08:01:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NP2626, can you post photos of some of your backdrop areas? I for one would enjoy seeing them.

N2626
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2016 :  08:03:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, this would mean I need to learn how to post photos to this forum, something I have not done before. However I think I have seen a tutorial on how to do this, so will attempt to do so.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2016 :  08:22:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, here's a link to some good info on posting pictures. http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27749

George

N2626
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2016 :  12:49:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First attempts at posting photos to the RRL Forum.

Finally was able to read through the instructions and got 3 photos to post, however, why does it come up as a link? I was hoping to have it be a photo right in the post and I thought that was the instructions I was following! I'm going to take however it worked out as a win for one who is not a confuser genius.

In the 1st. photo, the vertical line is where expansion and contraction has broken through my puttied joint, which 20 years ago was nicely covered over!

Download Attachment: HPIM7280.JPG
119.6 KB

Download Attachment: HPIM7281.JPG
103.13 KB

Download Attachment: HPIM7282.JPG
107.65 KB

Edited by - N2626 on 02/29/2016 09:57:20 AM

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/28/2016 :  8:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is not just you. There is a learning curve. File size and the file name can trip you up, in addition to getting the typing right. It can be frustrating.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/29/2016 :  07:26:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, It's not you. Took me 'a while' (ok, a couple days!) to figure out how to do it too.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/29/2016 :  08:45:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, one of the quirks of posting pictures is the file name can contain only numbers or letters, no punctuation marks, dashes, underscores, etc.

George

N2626
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 02/29/2016 :  09:55:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George, is a period considered a punctuation mark with the program? Since you can see the file name in my post above, how would I change it so it would be shown in my post? Thanks!

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/29/2016 :  2:31:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're pictures loaded fine.
You just didn't edit the photo string after you uploaded the pictures.
Go to this thread and start at step 7: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15110
I did one picture below.

As you think, so will you be.

N2626
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 02/29/2016 :  7:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good grief! 11 steps to post a picture! That's nuts! Why so difficult?

So, my question is, do other forumites see the hypertext when they view my post, where I have given the link: Download Attachment: HPIM7280.JPG 119.6 KB?

If so, that's as far as I'm going to take posting photos!

Edited by - N2626 on 02/29/2016 7:24:38 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/29/2016 :  7:38:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Give it a little time. It will become 2nd nature after a little practice'..We all say the same thing at first. Once you get it, it really is only about 3 steps, not counting re-sizing the original photo to 800x600. Just name the photo with a simple name. (example) mylayout1, or mylayoutA, or lyoA, next photo, LyoB, C, D, etc, etc.

After you get it', You'll say to yourself'. Aha, no biggy'. Looks like you have a very interesting layout, and I would like to see more'....and sure others want to as well...

Page: of 23 Topic Next Topic: Turnout/Track Compatibility  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.86 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000