Railroad Line Forums - Backdrops
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 129 ]  [ Total: 132 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Backdrops
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Turnout/Track Compatibility
Page: of 23

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 12/15/2009 :  10:32:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darryl - Thanks for tip on the Yarnell dvd's.
I have some from you, and these will be great
reference too. I dont think I will try to tackle
a whole wall mural tho! LOL.... Maybe 24-30 inches high,
or higher in mountainous area. Thanks again.....

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  5:22:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MP Rich

When I get to the foreground, I hold the brush vertical to the backdrop and use a dabbing motion with less paint on the brush to make each tree with branches that you can see through to see some of the ridges in the background.

Question- Did you do the dabbing motion just along the top ridge of your front mountain or did you do it for the whole face of the front mountain. I can see where with some skill this process might be a good method to get some truck and branches showing on the whole face of the front mountain presuming that the next mountain layer back was painted all the way to the bottom of the backdrop.

belg
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  7:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darrylhuffman

Pat,

We moved into a new home so the old layout got the chainsaw treatment.

I had designed it to come apart so it could be reused. Same for the backdrop.

But, as time goes on my interests evolve and my skills improve so I was ready for a brand new layout.

Now the only problem is finding time to work on it.

Looking forward to following along on your new build, have you progressed since the backdrop shots? Pat

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  08:43:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Where does time go?

It is almost a whole year since the last post to this thread.

As for my own layout, I have all the track in place but no scenery yet.

We rent a home in a commercial district on 5 acres of prime real estate. The owner has the whole 5 acres up for sale and if it sells, we will have to move again so I have lost interest in putting in scenery for the time being.

My blog:
http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com/

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2011 :  04:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i thought rather then start a new thread, id ask here. hope my question gets some feedback.

on my layout im using a paper backscene, appleied to some MDF i've already cut to size.

however the MDF has "fuzzed" up a little in some places, of corse sanding will only fuzz it up more, my worry is that if i applied the backscene directly that this would show up. so i was thinking to overcome this was to paint it, and sand that should i need to, glue on some lining paper (not sure if you guys have that, or call it that, but its what gose under wallpaper to even out any marks on a wall) and then paste the backscene onto that.?

im hopeing to get some feed back from anyone thats used paper backscene on MDF thats fuzzed up and what they did to the MDF in readieness for the backscene
if it helps the backscene i want to use is printed on 160gsm matt psterpaper and i was planing on useing wall paper paste.

thanks guys

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2011 :  06:20:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andykins

i thought rather then start a new thread, id ask here. hope my question gets some feedback.

on my layout im using a paper backscene, appleied to some MDF i've already cut to size.

however the MDF has "fuzzed" up a little in some places, of corse sanding will only fuzz it up more, my worry is that if i applied the backscene directly that this would show up. so i was thinking to overcome this was to paint it, and sand that should i need to, glue on some lining paper (not sure if you guys have that, or call it that, but its what gose under wallpaper to even out any marks on a wall) and then paste the backscene onto that.?

im hopeing to get some feed back from anyone thats used paper backscene on MDF thats fuzzed up and what they did to the MDF in readieness for the backscene
if it helps the backscene i want to use is printed on 160gsm matt psterpaper and i was planing on useing wall paper paste.

thanks guys

What do you mean by fuzzed up?

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2011 :  07:33:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
where are some point its hand sandpaper over it and its lifted the fibers slightly.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2011 :  07:45:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andykins

where are some point its hand sandpaper over it and its lifted the fibers slightly.

Just paint a groundcoat, sand it a bit and do a second coat..think it wouldn't cause you any trouble..

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2011 :  09:13:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like Martin said, paint should do the trick. The time and expense to apply a liner paper really isn't necessary.

You are right to take care of the "fuzz" before applying the backdrop.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2011 :  5:22:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
me again :D

ive been reading up on the uses of paper backscenes, and the one thing i read again and again is the use of "artists sprey matt varnish" to protect it, good idea with printed backscenes if you ask me, however thats as far as it gose, no products are sudgested.
i had a little look on the windsor and newton website and they do 3, a chalk and paste fixative (whitch one magazine sounds like its sudgesting) an artists one (that sound slike its not ideal for paper/card and mostly for oil paintings) and a normal one (that says its ideal for paper and card) however ive not used any of these before, so i wondered if anyone here has used any of them on a backcene and what they thought/ any artists can shed any light on those 3 that might be ideal, it seams most larger artists suppliers sell fixative, aratists and normal varnish so i dont mind the brand.

or do you just use a cheaper spray varnish with good results?

anyhelp would be fantasitic.
cheers
andy. lost and confused about paper sky :D

Graffen
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2011 :  5:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Graffen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Krylon Matte is what I have used on a lot of Scalescene cardprints. Should work on a backdrop as well.

Michael Graff
"Deo Adjuvante Labor Proficit"
Swedish custom model builder.
http://sites.google.com/site/graffairbrushart

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2011 :  05:48:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thank you very much, i shall have to look it up!

terry hansley
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/24/2011 :  11:24:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Andrew

In the past I have had good success with a primer coat of an alcohol base primer that is used to seal out stains---over here it's under the Kilz or Benz brand name. You can have it tinted which will also help your coverage.I use this as a base for anything that will be subject to moisture or water based scenery materials.A good wall paper border adhesive will make a good attachment and Krylon art fixative will work well to protect.

Terry H

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  08:37:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi terry.

thanks for the tips, i shall have to keep an eye out for a uk version of those.

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  09:55:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the stuff that is sold for paintings might be better for printed backdrops. Usually they have a UV stabiliser in them that is supposed to prevent the colours fading.

Having said that, I haven't had any fading on the printed out backdrop photos that were printed on a colour laser printer. The inkjet prints faded but the laser ones still look perfect so if you can print out your own ones on a colour laser printer somewhere they should last a lot better (and have brighter colours).

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

Page: of 23 Topic Next Topic: Turnout/Track Compatibility  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000