Railroad Line Forums - Backdrops
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Backdrops
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: A small expansion to my layout. Topic Next Topic: SL&N construction blog
Page: of 23

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  12:53:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you Bruce. I'm at that point now and am wondering the best way to proceed. Will probably try a few different techniques to see what works best on my layout. Having three decks brings up all kinds of issues!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

Edited by - hunter48820 on 10/23/2008 12:55:07 AM

Geezer
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  2:13:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick question: Is the sky (blue) best applied with a roller or a wide brush?
Some very nice work on these backdrops! Geezer

"You can find my Website & Threads here:"
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47229

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/27/2008 :  9:14:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Drew, Terry(Great Lakes Steel), MNGUY (for TEEJAY),
If I can make a suggestion to give your backdrop buildings some depth. when you use a one dimensional photo or print, mount it on some 1/4" foam core board and try to paint the edges the same colors as in the picture, then install your background built-up building on top of, or in front of the foam board. This along with some blue sky at the top fading to powder blue or white at the bottom should give you a more 3 dimensional appearance for a back drop.

Al Carter I love the subtle white caps in the distance.

I think if we would all be able to paint like Victor, or at the very least have a friend like Victor to paint back drops for us, all would be right in our train world.
Beautiful job Victor. I think you should hire yourself out.

Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday
https://www.facebook.com/WeatheringbyRalph

Edited by - CN6401 on 12/27/2008 9:19:15 PM

akimmons
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  11:02:09 AM  Show Profile  Send akimmons an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I’ve been experimenting with various techniques for installing photo backdrops and have found a couple of tips that might be useful to others.

All the photos were taken with a digital camera on overcast or partly cloudy days. This reduces the contrast and brightness of the photos which helps them fade into the background. One thing I see with some photo backdrops is that they are too bright and sunny. Our modeled scenery is normally viewed under low lights (compared to sunlight) and usually that light is diffused so that there are no shadows. If the backdrop is bright and sunny with sharp, distinctive shadows the total scene is incompatible, as if it’s cloudy over the layout and clear out there on the horizon. While this can be true in real life, I feel it doesn’t work well on a layout. Just my $.02.

One thing I wanted to avoid if possible was having a distinct line where the photo was cut around trees, hillsides, etc. This isn’t an issue when using buildings as we expect there to be a sharp distinction between them and the sky. It is also not much of an issue when the photo is of a distant mountain or hillside, as long as the cut is wavy or irregular.

Because my backdrop is middle-distance pine trees it became a bigger issue. No matter how I cut them it never looked good to me. The line between photo and painted wall was too noticeable. After some experimenting I started tearing the photo instead of cutting it. This leaves an irregular border and one that is thinner than the original paper. I hold the portion I want to save in my right hand and pull it up or towards my body. This is important because if you reverse the process you end up with the jagged edge showing the white of the paper instead of the color of the photo sky. In tearing it out get as close to the tree tops as possible but it is okay to leave some of the sky.

Now lay the photo face down and lightly sand the back. Unlike sanding a paper sign, we’re not trying to get it too thin, just give the paper some tooth. To thin it down use masking tape to gently tear away a “layer” of paper. Put a small piece of tape on one end of the photo and lift it up. This starts to pull away some of the paper and after a little practice you can pull off a strip the length of the photo. You may need to do this a few times to get the proper width of strip. I thin down about the top 1/3 of the photo. You’re left with a very thin piece of paper, maybe half the original thickness.

I attach the photos with Elmers spray adhesive and use my fingers to “burnish” the photo onto the wall. Between the tearing and the thinning, the photo seems to melt into the sky and the line between the two is almost indistinct. The final step is to use craft paints in various shades of blue and white to blend the sky of the photo into the painted sky of the backdrop. If your photos were taken on a cloudy day and your painted sky fades down to near-white at the tree line, this is a minor job.

Before you start, spend a little time with your photo editing software to lighten or darken your images to get them to blend with your foreground scenery colors. It also helps if you can get the sky in your image to match the sky on the backdrop.

And always use a laser printer. Ink jet prints will run if they get wet.

Hope this is helpful.

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal and Edisto Railroad

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49360

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  10:17:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arnold, thanks for that tutorial. It came out great! I like the idea of 'thinning' the backdrop paper to minimize the edge.

As you may have read, I have been helping Rick (Harsco) with his photo-backdrops and have run into the same issues you raise; paper thickness, lighting, etc. Your observations on taking pictures on an over cast day are interesting and I will give that a try. Thanks!

Mark

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  7:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
John Bagley asked me to post this potential problem that might be experienced if you use hardboard/Masonite as a backdrop.

I had a couple of windows that I needed to cover when installing/painting my backdrop. I figured that I could just skim coat the Masonite and paint the sky. But as you can see by the pictures that the Masonite bled thru the joint compound, After 2 layers it can still be seen. After I primed it there was no more bleed thru.

I would suggest that the hardboard /Masonite be primed first with drywall primer or Kills 2. Even before taping and mudding the joints

The pics:
This is after the joint is covered

The first skim coat as you can see a lot of bleed thru

A different angle, I thought I had a pic of the 2nd coat but haven't found it. Will add if found.

Philip Zamzow

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

first timer
New Hire

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  10:26:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit first timer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi
Im new to the forum and would like to show my backdrop in progress.

the colouring is all off and taken at night,still need to work on the layout lighting.

Phillip Steyn
South Africa
Towering pines & Timber wolf lumber co.

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  10:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, First Timer,
Nice job, very nice. You don't have Victor hiding around the corner do you?
Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday
https://www.facebook.com/WeatheringbyRalph

goldrush
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  10:46:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
first timer..... great start on your backdrop. Your layout looks interesting too. More photos and a track plan would be appreciated.

first timer
New Hire

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  10:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit first timer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nope ,thanks for the compliment

Phillip Steyn
South Africa

first timer
New Hire

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  10:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit first timer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ill post a current track plan on the "towering pines thread" later.

Phillip Steyn
South Africa

first timer
New Hire

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  11:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit first timer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In another part of the layout I treid using photo backdrops of the landscape

using modge podge to paste A4 size incjet printouts onto thick platicard sheet and then painting in the sky after.several pictures were combined ,even a centerpage of a brittish magazine with the train in the distance.

Phillip Steyn
South Africa

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  12:43:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The photo backdrop looks very effective on you railroad giving lots of depth.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

bcfan1064
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  8:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got inspired while looking at LVN's Blogspot. His tutorial on painting a backdrop is great. I really got some good ideas from his work. Here is a shot of my Sunday morning first attempt. Not to bad but I think I need to cut out some of the mountains.

-Barry S

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  9:15:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job Barry, Chris's Blog did wanders for me.

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: A small expansion to my layout. Topic Next Topic: SL&N construction blog  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000