Railroad Line Forums - Backdrops
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 155 ]  [ Total: 164 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Backdrops
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: A small expansion to my layout. Topic Next Topic: SL&N construction blog
Page: of 23

Mad Dog Models
New Hire

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  11:45:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mad Dog Models's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I've recently been experimenting with photographic backscenes. Here's a photo taken on my S4 layout (4mm/ft, 18.83mm gauge):

I printed the photo using an inexpensive inkjet printer (Epson Stylus Photo 1280) that accepts archive quality roll paper 17" wide.

Chris
Mad Dog Models

Mad Dog Models

Edited by - Mad Dog Models on 09/11/2006 11:46:40 PM

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  12:11:03 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That looks great Chris!!

But from you I have come to expect that!

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  04:40:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Chris,

The photo backdrop really gives the sense of depth. Very nice.

belg
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  08:04:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris, where do I send the pic I want printed out? It looks super, the layout looks vastly improved! Thanks Pat

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  03:16:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My painter friend got started tonight on painting the backdrop. The overall project is about 80' in length and I thought you might be interested in following along.
It will take a couple months as he can only work a couple nights a week. It is exciting to see it come together and if anyone has questions please ask and I will try to get the answer.

This is the first night and he pretty well covered the whole 80' with blocking in the hills and mountains. I am always amazed how fast he does this and how it helps to visualize the scenes coming together. All this painting was done with a 3" brush.

Were started

I think we have it now, so here goes with some pics.

This first picture is the mountain scene I built just recently. If you look to the left you will see the actual scenery and the beginings of the backdrop blending in.

Couple of shots of the longer walls. Not much to see you yet, but it might be interesting to see it from begining to end.

Use the diet pepsi can for reference. I will try to put together a drawing of the area were painting, so it makes sense as we go along.

Tonight we paint more, well he does, I am ballasting

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  07:03:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This will be a great thread to follow. It looks like your painter has quite a bit done already!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

belg
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  07:12:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, the backdrop is really starting to come together, for a project this big what will be the trade off, do you have to frame and build him a new roof? LOL Pat

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  9:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ok next installment. Now that the land portion is blocked in, we went to work on the sky portion from the horizon to the ceiling. Again a 3-4 inch brush was used and the blending of the paints were done right on the wall.
The color went from light blue at the horizon and it got a deeper blue closer to the celing, a much more deeper blue than my orignal blue wall. I found it interesting that he uses the base paint latex and mixes the stronger colors on a plastic coffee lid and then applies both on the wall.

On Saturday the air brush will come out and you will see a big change.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  9:23:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Pat, I wish he was building a large house or something, I could see us making a deal.

Victor is a really nice chap and truly enjoys doing backdrops like this.

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  10:24:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, great start, Tim! Your backdrop is going to be AWESOME (my 5 year old granddaughter's newest, favorite saying....). It sure is nice to have a talented friend like that...I know, because a pal of mine painted my backdrop. Sure improves the railroad! Looking forward to more progress pics!

belg
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  07:28:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be following right along Tim, progress is looking terrific. Pat

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  10:32:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here are a couple more photos of the backdrop as it develops.

The first couple photos show Victor painting away in the corner section of Rock Springs. There are probably 40-50 buildings that will go in this part of the layout and a number of them are built. They won't get planted anytime soon, but its interesting to see how we work to paint the backdrop to accomadate the buildings. The square hole is where the main line goes under the stairway. This will be disguised by a custom made bridge which is under construction.

The sun behind clouds scene has been on the wish list for a long long time. This first photo will give you an idea of where we are heading I hope.
Note the valance is narrowed in this are to help showcase the backdrop. I also installed super bright LED's along with incadescents behind the valance. The White LED's give a wonderful cast over the top of the backdrop and they make the sky a brillant blue. They are not on in this photo, so you will have to wait to see them. (actually I forgot to turn them on before taking the picture )

There is a long ways to go before its done but it really is starting to come together.

Jason M
New Hire

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  11:11:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jason M's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The backdrop looks awesome!!!! Can't wait to see it when its done!

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  12:06:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, that last photo is simply outstanding! Tell Victor he is quite the artist!

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  9:38:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you like it, I do too. Victor and I have talked about this for a long time. I am hoping it will get better as we paint the bottom half and I finish the scenery.

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: A small expansion to my layout. Topic Next Topic: SL&N construction blog  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000