Railroad Line Forums - Backdrops
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 124 ]  [ Total: 125 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Backdrops
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Turnout/Track Compatibility
Page: of 23

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  3:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good Al. Thank you for posting the photos. I am going to give the method a try.

Joe <><

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  4:24:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave and Al,
Thanks so much for this very valuable information.
Since the area I model(Alaska) is a little north and west of you there is a great similarity in the type of sky you have shown and that type of sky that is common in Alaska.

I also love the misty/rainy look that Dave described as that is how I remember the sky frequently the last time I was in Alaska.

I will be back in Alaska at the end of this month an I will be taking plenty of pictures of the sky there.

Since I am finishing up the walls in the basement this thread will be of great value to me.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  5:43:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to oblige, John. If your plane passes through Seattle, give us a call.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  6:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately Al the flight out goes through Salt Lake City and the return flight I have is direct from Anchorage to Atlanta.
Maybe next year I can come by way of Seattle.

John Bagley

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  7:08:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope so, John, Dave (rrkreitler) and I would enjoy meeting you.

Hey, are you going to Skagway? When we (the Mrs. and I) were there a few years ago, we naturally rode the WP&Y. Thing is, the train derailed about 2/3 of the way to the summit. After about an hour, the crew got her re-railed, and we backed down to a siding, where the engines could run around the train. Then we headed back to Skagway. There were two trains behind us and one waiting in front of us when we derailed, so we screwed up a whole bunch of train rides! They refunded our money, most of which I promptly spent in the gift shop.

Also, if you're into narrow gauge, there's a fellow in town that owns Mulvi Models (advertises in the Gazette). He's also the fire chief. So I called him up and he picked me up and took me to his shop, which amounted to a display case in his house! Neat stuff. I bought an HOn3 25ton switcher from him.

Great trip, even if it did rain most days (in August, yet!). Enjoy your trip!

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  9:59:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been reviewing this great thread, and even though you "pros" make it look easy, I am still considering installing a comercial background.
So, OTHER THAN Backdrop Warehouse, are there any other sources of backdrops that you can direct me to. I really like a few of the Backdrop Warehouse ones that are available, but would still like to compare to others on the market.
Thanks.

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

louis and Sabrina
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  11:19:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John: If you're here, do you know of any good photo's online showing a view of Denali from the railroad? We searched through The ARR sites but couldn't find any good panaramic views

Sabrina is working on painting the backdrop for the club and I thought I'd jump on this subject while it was hot. Thanks!....Louis

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  11:51:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Louis,
Aside from John's web site
www.alaskarails.org
I do not know of any pictures that show Denali from the railroad.

You could try Google and click on the "images" tab and then enter Denali as that will bring up lots of pictures.
Maybe there will be one there that will work.
Gook luck and if I find one I will e-mail it to you.

John Bagley

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  12:04:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Dave, I tried the batting idea and it worked great. I'll need to post a clear photo or two. I only used the flat white spray paint though. I allowed the sky color to fill in the darker undersides of the clouds. I did have gray paint at hand and tried it on a test board and found the cloud to get too heavy for the sky I had in mind. I believe I will spray my clouds through batting from now on though.

I did have one issue that caused me to do a little repainting. Now I had the batting attached to a piece of 1 X 2 so that I didn't wind up with a bleached white hand. Once the batting got "wet" with paint I had to be careful to not let it touch the backdrop because it was leaving thick paint bloches. I did find that pulling the batting an ince or so away from the backdrop made for a fluffier edge though so it all worked out okay.

Thanks,
Joe <><

rrkreitler
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  3:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear that it worked for you. I am looking forward to seeing some photos. I used a rubber glove to prevent the 'white hand' effect.

Thanks,
Dave K in NB

RogerMal
New Hire

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  1:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit RogerMal's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is my first post to this thread, so, perhaps this is old stuff BUT here goes anyway. I did two layouts with painted backdrops and they came out just fine. I'm now in a new home and in the process of building a new layout. This time I'm using commercial backdrops from backdrop warehouse. I bought 5 backdrops that match ended to end of the area around Ridgeway, CO. My question is how to hang them? They are printed photos. Wide and long but photos none the less. Which means you really can't treat them like wall paper. Wall paper paste would make them stretch and bubble. They (Backdrop Warehouse) don't have any good suggestions; at least that’s my opinion. They suggest tape, staples and bands of rubber cement. I'd like the backdrop to be adhered to the wall (Masonite with curved corners) in its entirety, 100% not just bands or patches. I was thinking of using water soluble contact cement. The type used to adhere Formica counter tops. The can list photo murals as one of its uses. My only apprehension there is, once it's stuck it's stuck. No room for error. Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  07:07:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Roger:
3m manufacturers many spray products, some of them being very user friendly. Heres a little list os some:
Photo Mount™ Spray, Spra-Ment™ Spray Adhesive, Spray Mount™ Artist's Adhesive, ReMount™ Spray Adhesive, and Super 77 Spray Adhesive
I've used the Super 77 for many applications, none of those were for photos though.
Maybe the ReMount might work along with a rubber roller or squeegy.

John

jimmydeignan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  07:21:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit jimmydeignan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is a picture of the backdrop my wife did for the Pennsy layout using Dave Frary's blue paint-white paint method. Very simple, & cheap too.

Jimmy

RogerMal
New Hire

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  10:29:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit RogerMal's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think spary adhesives would be out of the question. The railroad room adjoins two other rooms and residual airborne stickey stuff would not be good.

clinchvalley
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  2:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit clinchvalley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by teejay

Richard , I even heard of someone using sheet metal ! So hows about a '56 Buick fender for your backdrop ??....real conversation piece . LoL .

T

Yep, sheet metal (coil aluminum actually) is by far the quickest and easiest method for a backdrop. It comes in lengths of 50', so it really cuts down on the joints. You can get by just attaching the J strip to the top of wall where you want it, notch the coil and slide it into the J strip. It takes a crew of two or more to hang well.

Larry

Page: of 23 Topic Next Topic: Turnout/Track Compatibility  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000