Railroad Line Forums - Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 43 ]  [ Total: 44 ]  [ Newest Member: Marty J ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Ballast Topic Next Topic: looking for switch machine
Page: of 12

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  10:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's probably similar in nature to those that use the ceiling tiles as well. I would worry about dust when cutting and sealing it. Does one have to "mud" where the seams meet?

Phil

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  10:48:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It doesn't appear so Phil. If you look at the blog on the link below, this fellow uses drywall and doesn't use joint compound. It appears he uses masking tape to cover the joints, but I guess you could spackle it as well.

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/3932?page=6

Mark

DJL1961
New Hire

Posted - 01/27/2016 :  1:49:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several rookie questions please. I've read through all ten pages of this thread and have learned just about all I think I'll need to start laying my track. I've purchased Micro Engineering code 83 flex track for my On30 layout. It's a 5X3 layout, aprox. 16 feet of track to be laid as I've figured. I'll need a small file and a tiny screw driver to deal with the track joiners correct? Also is there another tool besides a track cutter that will do the same thing that's perhaps less expensive than the ones I've seen online? I don't want to just use any ole tool because this track seems so fragile it's so tiny. I don't have a lot of extra track, so I'll need to do it right the first time. BTW I've done a ton of internet searching and these forums are by far the most informative I've found. Thanks, Dave

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2016 :  2:04:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A cutoff disk in a rotary tool (Dremel or other) will cut rail square & straight, but eye protection is important.

A metal-cutting blade in a razor saw will cut rail too, but watch out for pulling it loose from the adjoining ties.

Most plier-type cutting tools will cut rail, but they have edges shaped so both sides of a cut piece of rail are somewhat mangled and need filing. The specialized 'track cutters' have one vertical face on the edge, so that side of the cut needs only a little filing. If you don't ding the edges by cutting steel (music wire in particular), they'll last a lifetime, so you can think of the price as an investment. Alternatively, check the used tools at train shows and flea markets.

DJL1961
New Hire

Posted - 01/27/2016 :  2:15:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for the quick reply. After asking I remembered I have a Dremel I bought many many years ago. It still has some cutting blades never used. Unfortunately the small fitting that attaches it to the machine is missing, but I'll bet I can find a replacement at my local Home Depot. Thanks again!

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 01/28/2016 :  11:33:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And a spray bottle of Windex to spray the track with prior to bending/curving. ME track can be difficult to curve but spraying it with the Windex allows the track to slide smoothly in the ties.

DJL1961
New Hire

Posted - 01/28/2016 :  4:43:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh....wish I'd looked at that before I began
I've gotten everything I'll be needing to begin laying track. So today I started to lay down my general idea of how this is going to look. Now nothing is glued or cut, I've simply cut my foam sub roadbed, and started to bend the track into how I think it's going to fit. But before I begin cutting track and cork roadbed I'd like to get some feedback, comments,suggestions or criticism about what I've done or plan to do. Is there something I should have done or not done? If I can get the track laid in tonight, I can begin wiring tomorrow.So please speak up if you will, I'll appreciate everything. My Bachmann Spectrum Shay arrived today, and it's beautiful! I can't wait to get it powered up and rolling. I would really appreciate some comments from the experts around here. Again, this is the first layout I've ever done,It's a 5x3 On30. I may have gotten a little bit ahead of myself in that I started some of the scenery as you can see. Thank You, Dave

Download Attachment: track 007A.jpg
154.51 KB

Download Attachment: track 004A.jpg
144.65 KB

Download Attachment: track 006.Ajpg.jpg
141.87 KB

Edited by - DJL1961 on 01/28/2016 4:45:44 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2016 :  8:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First, cork roadbed isn't rigid, and it can shrink/swell over time. I wouldn't plan on having it 'fly' over the gaps between the blocks of ?foam? supporting the track in your pictures.

Second, I can't guess the radii of your curves. The one in the far corner, behind what I'll guess is a stream, looks like the sharpest. Perhaps an On30 modeler can tell you the Shay's practical minimum radius.

DJL1961
New Hire

Posted - 01/28/2016 :  10:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. I have this evening filled all of the gaps with small pieces of the same foam because I thought the same about the cork road bed. So the gaps are no larger than a few millimeters now. That tight curve was one of my biggest concerns as well. I do have an alternative plan if it doesn't work. But I measured the radius and it is 17 inches. My fault for doing that bit of scenery before laying the track. I think that 17 inches is about the smallest that this locomotive can do we'll see. I may have to cut out some of that waterfall and do it over to increase that radius. I appreciate your feedback! Dave

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/29/2016 :  06:45:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bachmann recommend an 18" radius, but I've seen reports of the Shay doing 15" radii curves on perfect trackwork. So if you like to be challenged, then here's an opportunity to learn how to make your trackwork perfect. :)

Otherwise, I think you can easily get to an 18" radius by moving the curve in slightly without having to change the waterfall/stream bed.

BTW, in your post with pictures, if you edit it you'll see something like:

[b]Download Attachment:[/b] [url="http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/data/path/to/your/image.jpg"][img]images/icon_paperclip.gif[/img] bridge trusses 1.jpg[/url][br]101.92 KB

Find the URL to your image, and replace everything before it (including the double-quote) with "[img]":

[img]http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/data/path/to/your/image.jpg"][img]images/icon_paperclip.gif[/img] bridge trusses 1.jpg[/url][br]101.92 KB

Then, do the same for everything after the URL, replacing it with "[/img]":

[img]http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/data/path/to/your/image.jpg[/img]

Your images will now appear in-line.

Cheers,
Jeff.

DJL1961
New Hire

Posted - 01/29/2016 :  10:18:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks jey jey, I'll try that. I've gone ahead and glued down the thin foam, but only tacked down the cork. I may leave it there for a while just to make sure it's what I want. I thought I had read somewhere that the 17" radius I have is about the smallest that would work.
Now that I see how small the locomotive is I think it will be Ok.Particularly at the speeds it will be run. We shall find out, then I will post it here for the sake of anyone else trying to do the same thing. Learn from my mistakes. Dave

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2016 :  11:00:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David,

Like James said earlier, "eye protection is important" and he can't be more correct. If yo do in fact use a cutoff wheel in your Dremel tool, for gosh sakes wear eye protection! Those cut off disc's disintegrate all the time and fly all over the place.

Al Carter

DJL1961
New Hire

Posted - 01/29/2016 :  1:57:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tabooma County Rwy

David,

Like James said earlier, "eye protection is important" and he can't be more correct. If yo do in fact use a cutoff wheel in your Dremel tool, for gosh sakes wear eye protection! Those cut off disc's disintegrate all the time and fly all over the place.

Al Carter

Wow! No Kidding? They are very thin, so I can imagine what you're saying. It works great though, and I can't see squat without my glasses so I hope that will be enough. I tried it a couple of times to see how well it worked, and it's perfect. The small piece that was cut off really went flying, so I'll have to shield that from happening, I have small animals, cats and dogs. I'm not sure if it's OK to link to my You-Tube channel, but I put up a video this morning of the two truck Shay I bought, it's even nicer that I expected for something made in China. I guess I should expect nothing less from Bachmann. Thanks very much for the warning, you guys are VERY helpful! Dave

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/30/2016 :  02:27:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW, I have managed to coax my Bachmann On30 Shay around some 12-inch radius track that I have hand laid. While the Shay seems to be right at the limit, it does stay on the track.

DJL1961
New Hire

Posted - 01/30/2016 :  12:03:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thayer

FWIW, I have managed to coax my Bachmann On30 Shay around some 12-inch radius track that I have hand laid. While the Shay seems to be right at the limit, it does stay on the track.

Now that's a tight curve....I laid and glued in the roadbed this morning. The curve is right around 17 inches, just eyeballing it, relative to the size of the locomotive, I think it will work.
Thanks for the feedback thayer!

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Ballast Topic Next Topic: looking for switch machine  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 14.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000