Railroad Line Forums - The Philadelphia & Scranton; A Branch of the NEC
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 87 ]  [ Total: 87 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 The Philadelphia & Scranton; A Branch of the NEC
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Joes D & H Layout Topic Next Topic: How many of you recognize this?
Page: of 5

otiscnj
Section Hand

Posted - 10/21/2012 :  06:49:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've posted some photos of the beginings of my HO railroad, The Philadelphia & Scranton; A Brach of the Northeast Corridor. I plan on modeling the period from the mid 1970's to roughly 2000.

The 'Philly & Scranton,' exists in an alternate universe, where the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania financed the electrification of a route from Philly to Scranton, with the goal of helping to sustain the anthracite coal mining, and make the area more competitive. By the time I'm modeling, most of the coal has played out, although there is still some coal traffic, as well as north-south bridge traffic to and from Canada and New England, to points in a south or westerly direction. Amtrak operates passenger service along the line as a branch of the North East Corridor.

The route I've selected to follow, is the Reading mainline north from Reading to Tamaqua, but via the 'mainline,' as well as the 'Little Schuylkill,' north of Port Clinton. From there, the line goes to Hazelton, then Wilkes-Barre, and past Taylor, and into Scranton. Traffic north of Scranton is handled via the old EL, or LV routes, as well as the NYS&W controlled D&H(got to get all my favorite roads into the mix).

Motive power is provided by E-33's, E60CF's, EF-3/EP-4's, ALP-44's, AEM7's, passenger E60's, + CC-1's(old Tyco GG-1 shells on Athearn BB Trainmaster drives-painted in several RDG schemes).

I'd be happy to provide more info, to those interested.

Photos are as follows:
Philadelphia Terminal District(Reading Terminal, 9th St Branch, and 'Riverside/Eastside Yard,' and 'Port Delaware/Richmond.' Port Delaware is he coal port, Riverside/Eastside is the general merchandise classificaiton yard.

Reading freight yards.

Looking towards Outer Station, from the mainline:

Port Clinton peninsula:

Tamaqua. Station area in foreground.

Wilkes-Barre peninsula

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/21/2012 :  06:54:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like a good concept, although you have a long way to go by the looks of things!

Keep us posted on your progress

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 10/21/2012 :  2:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds interesting. We have all started where you are. Keep the info and the photos coming.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

otiscnj
Section Hand

Posted - 10/21/2012 :  8:14:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the encouragement! I previously had a totally freelanced layout set in the Bristol, VA/TN area. It was 24'x 18' in HO; the P&S is roughly 26'x28-34' in its largest dimensions. Tore the old one down due to moving/getting engaged/married. This represents a 'dream layout/layout of a lifetime.' I was hooked when I rode a Septa RDC to Pottsville, from Reading Terminal, about 1978. I started drawing sketches about 1981. Growing up with the EL Morristown Line in the backyard, and spending Summers at my Grandmother's row house in Philly, decided it was time to go 'protolanced.' As time permits, I'll continue to provide updates.

otiscnj
Section Hand

Posted - 11/24/2012 :  04:39:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the current version of my track plan. The aisles are not shown their proper width. I'm still moving the tables around from the above photos, to achieve decent aisle widths (over 24 inches).

The Hazelton and Willes-Barre areas are not finalized yet, nor is the Philadelphia Terminal District sections.

As always, comments welcome.

Download Attachment: psbrnec1112a.JPG
149.71 KB

MisterBill
Section Hand

Posted - 11/24/2012 :  10:01:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stick in the drywall mud here: I'd seriously consider buttoning up that ceiling before making any serious inroads on that monster.
As a student of the Reading Co. I'll be interested in seeing what develops. PS, I rode the Reading/Septa between Reading and Philly a few times before 81'.

otiscnj
Section Hand

Posted - 12/03/2012 :  10:49:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any suggestion regarding the ceiling? It is at several heights, thanks in part to the ductwork. I'd think about hanging the Andersen ceiling tile sort of thing, as I still want access to up above, but wondering about the ductwork. Not really looking to put drywall up on the ceiling-would involve to many bulkheads, etc.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  11:30:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry to add another thing to work out before starting, but I'd consider lighting too. If you go with a suspended ceiling, light fixtures are straightforward, but they may not throw light where you want, or evenly enough. If you want to follow the layout edge with lights behind a valance, I don't think you can hang much of a valance from a suspended ceiling.

From your pictures, it looks like there is a good deal of duct-free area, so I'd do that with drywall. It appears that most of the ducts are down the center of the room. Could you put suspended ceiling there, and hang your lights from the edges? That ugly lump of equipment and pipe behind Port Clinton is going to need some kind of sky blue box around it, just pick your material...

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  12:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Carl, I second the motion of completing the room environment first. You'll be really glad that you did later on down the road. Looks like you've got a great concept on the go there and I will be following along with enthusiasm.

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Edited by - Mike Hamer on 12/04/2012 12:24:00 PM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/05/2012 :  12:19:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carl! I agree with the above. I feel the room enviroment is critical to your enjoyment of the. If all goes well, this will be a place you will spend a lot of time in the future, so why not make it a nice place to spend your time? In addition, it will contribute greatly to your modeling if the presentation is there to complement it. I would slow down and give this all some serious thought now as it may be difficult if not impossible to do later.

Mark

otiscnj
Section Hand

Posted - 12/05/2012 :  4:01:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for everyone's comments. I am very inspired by many of the layouts and posts in these forums, which is why I didn't lurk for very long once I found them. Please feel free to offer further 'lessons learned,' based on your own experiences. Having said that however, I will say that one of my regular quotes is: 'The best learned lessons are self taught.'

On the track plan, structural steel runs parallel to Reading, only 13' from that wall. The joists are about 8' above the floor, over the 14'x28' area. the rest of the space, the ceilings are 9'. The steel and ductwork hangs down. The ductwork is roughly over the aisle between Hazelton and Port Clinton. The ceiling on the other side of the structural steel is pretty clear of ductwork.

My current plan has been to build a backdrop attached to the layout, about 2'high, with masonite, or similar material, with supports behind. In this way, if/when I move, I can take them with me, and leave the basement, 'clean.' The basement walls are poured concrete. I'm not an experienced drywall hanger, or carpenter, so the idea of 'finishing the basement' has been a potentially troublesome, expensive, and time consuming task.

My 'plan' regarding the lighting, is to add flourescent fixture for 'daylight' tubes, either with, or without a valence of some sort, eventually. I'm not anxious to keep the ceiling open, with all the spiderswebs, etc, however given all the ductwork and structural steel that hangs into the space, I haven't come up with a good solution regarding the ceiling fix, yet.

In some ways, I'm still working out aspects of the design, mocked up full scale, to get an idea of whether the plan I have on paper, or in my head, will actually work. When I'm convinced that what I've come up with will work, then I move on to a different section. Its a slow, labor intensive approach, but hopefully result in a layout that will live up to my operational and scenic expectations.

At some point in the past year, I've half jokingly mentioned 'The 15 Year Plan.' 5 years to design it; 5 years to build it, and 5 years to run it. At that point I'll be 65, if I'm still around, and don't know if it will be time to retire somewhere else, or just 'tear down,' or expand. In the past, I've had a 24'x18' layout, based on a somewhat different freelanced concept, and I was constantly rebuilding, refining, and changing things so much that I never even ran a train the entire length of the mainline, in the 7 or so years I spent on it. I'm not looking to repeat that experience, as I've bought my equipment and locos with the idea that they're 'runners,' not just static models. I also get tired of turning finished lumber into sawdust at some point.

Thanks

otiscnj
Section Hand

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  06:11:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the trackplan for the layout, as it now stands. Staging goes from underneath Reading, along the 'top wall,' over to below Wilkes-Barre. The aisle between Port Clinton and the corner of Scranton, will be wider, when built. Additionally, there may be some changes to the Hazleton pennisula, in terms of the trackage to Wilkes-Barre. Hope to include a 'ski area destination' for a franchise of the Rio Grande Ski Train in this area, too.

Comments/thoughts/suggestions always welcome.

I'm taking a break at this point, to make improvements to the room, including electrical, and something about the ceiling.

Edited by - otiscnj on 03/14/2013 06:51:36 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  06:54:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,

That is quite a layout that you have planned. Have you made any more progress on the layout room since your last post?

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  1:35:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty ambitious layout Carl. Looks like plenty or operational possibilities. The only thing I would advise you to consider is aisle space. Talking from experience, everyone seems to congregate at the narrowest point on the layout during operations.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Edited by - nhguy on 03/14/2013 1:37:24 PM

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  2:54:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HIgh, Carl. You've got quite an interesting concept. I'll just add my agreement with those who advise finishing the room before getting to far along with the layout. My first basement layout suffered from the dust and dirt that comes with exposed floor and joists from above ... but your's is probably a lot drier than mine was. And aisle space is important too ... remember that old model railroading riddle, "How many model railroaders can you fit in an 8-passenger van?" Hint: its fewer than 8!

Keep the posts coming!

Vagel

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  5:04:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Carl, looks like an ambitious plan that will keep you busy, and happy, for many years to come. And...while thinking about aisle width...the older we get...the wider we become as well!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Joes D & H Layout Topic Next Topic: How many of you recognize this?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000