Railroad Line Forums - Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 84 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: Bridge ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Trouble with signage Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Structures Certificate Support Thread
Page: of 12

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  07:20:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not have enough time to finish this last week. So back to it. I will start with placing the spacer/retainer ring on the axle ends of the assembly. It really helps if you first curl the assembly. If it has been done correctly, the ends should match up perfectly.
I didn't do this and it had a tendency to kink at each drilled hole. It isn't a big problem, as this will correct itself a little later. You will also note, that I did this step before the wheels were painted. This is ok also, as you are only checking the ring fit. It will be removed to be painted, then replaced.

A little tweaking here and there and it can be removed and painted.

Now put the ring back on the axles.

Cut a small piece of the same plastic strip and acc it to the ring to close 'er up.

Next step is to put the retainers on the ends of the axles. This is done by just slicing 1/16" pieces from your 1/8 aluminum tubing. a little filing to clean up the insides and these are placed onto the axle ends. Push them all the way. Then taking your flat mini file, file them flush with the axle, making a nice clean look. Then just touch the end with acc. Do each axle in this manner before moving on to the next. You can see two of them finished in the above pic, but the next one has not yet been filed.

Now you can finish the assembly off with paint touch up and then weathering.

This image is taken from the first assembly I built, so it has not been painted or weathered. Seems I misplaced a picture of the one I am building for this part of the thread, or I forgot to take one. Probably the latter is true.

Next, I will show you how the assembly is placed onto the base. This is where the washers come into play.

All questions and comments are most welcome.

Happy Railroading!

Dave (HWCRR)

Edited by - HWCRR on 02/19/2013 07:36:20 AM

Geezer
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  10:47:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave - I am glad to see you back at this thread.
I am still gathering parts. So far, I have the
wheels. 1/8 and 1/16" tubing and the small brass rod.
I guess I will have to call that number if I cant
find anything at LOWES this weekend. As far as I can see,
the id of the bushings could be 1/4" as long as the od
fit inside the 5/8 tube. Could even be 3/8" and change the
washers to the same ID....yeah?

"You can find my Website & Threads here:"
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47229

Geezer
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2013 :  08:11:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well - I managed to round up all the tubing -
I had to settle for aluminum bushings for the center wheel
support, but the dimentions are right and I think it will work.
I just went back and read through the thread Dave....Looking
forward to the continuance of the E.H.

"You can find my Website & Threads here:"
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47229

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/20/2013 :  08:17:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, here we are on the last installment of "The Sweet Sixteen Spider Assembly" build.

I am not going to get into how to mount or line up the turntable, here. That will come much later on.

I am using 4-3/8" flat washers and 2-3/8" flat washers. The difference between the 4 and the two, are outside diameter. It doesn't actually matter if they are all the same. I did this in the beginning, because I was going to add nbw's to the base washer. Reason being, I have every intention of showing the turntable and it will be removable to show all the hidden detail as well. Another reason, I am a detail nut! Many details are not seen, or they are slightly seen, but it causes folks to stop and take a more intense look.
So, here goes.

The base washer is 1 1/4" x 3/8". Then, there are (3) 13/16" x 3/8" washers mounted on top of that. I fasten these all together with acc.
Then paint and weather if you choose.

This becomes the spider assembly lower bearing face. It is to be mounted on the wooden base.

Then the spider assembly goes on next. The tubing I have in place, is just to keep everything in alignment and to show how it all goes together. It is not the permanent center shaft.

The second 1 1/4" x 3/8" flat washer, is joined with the last 13/16" washer, in the same manner.

After painting (if you so choose) it is inverted and placed on top of the spider assembly.
Again, it would seem I did not take the pic. So here again is the same pic as above.

Place the rail plate on the spider assembly at this point. There will still be a gap between the washers and the bottom of the table itself, the thickness of one of the washers.
Here, use a rectangular 1 1/4" x 1" piece of 1/16" thick basswood, with a 3/8" hole drilled dead center. This will then be placed over the center shaft and then acc'd to the washer.

Now, you can mount your tuntable. Make sure you glue all points of contact, including the center shaft.

Again, no pics to show for this last bit, but hopefully, I have made it as clear as I can.

Enjoy, your turntable. If you have watched everything closly as you build, it will be smooth and trouble free, and it will bring out the oooh's and aaaah's. This works so smoothly, it requires just a light touch to make it turn.

Here are some pics of a foam core board mock table, with a shay on deck. I wish you could see this thing working! Sorry the pics are a bit blurred.

P.S. I am hoping to get back to the enginehouse build as soon as possible. I am wiring up all the trusses for lighting. Finishing off all the nbw's. As I have already shown pics of this, I do not want to be redundant and show each one being done. When they are all finished and in place, I will start doing the build thread again.

Feel free to ask questions if I have not made it clear. All comments are welcome.

Happy Railroading!

Dave (HWCRR)

Edited by - HWCRR on 02/21/2013 07:49:15 AM

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/20/2013 :  08:49:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Geezer

Well - I managed to round up all the tubing -
I had to settle for aluminum bushings for the center wheel
support, but the dimentions are right and I think it will work.
I just went back and read through the thread Dave....Looking
forward to the continuance of the E.H.

Glad to hear this Geezer. I can't think of any reason why the aluminum bushings won't work. I went ahead and finished the build this morning. I hope this answered the questions you had in your above post. If not, feel free to ask please.

Dave

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2013 :  2:26:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave-
I'd really like to see some larger and clearer photos of the foam mockup with the Shay.
-Dave

-Dave

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/20/2013 :  4:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why sure. This is as large as I can get it. The foam board mock-up isn't much to look at. It is just what you see. I only use it to put weight on the assembly, to check for the operation.

Hope this helps. They were clearer before I blew them up. Cheap camera don't help either.

Dave (HWCRR)

Edited by - HWCRR on 02/20/2013 5:14:13 PM

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2013 :  5:04:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Dave.
What an absolutely lovely Shay.
-Dave

-Dave

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/20/2013 :  5:27:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well thank you.
It isn't actually finished yet though. Still going to add the usual clutter.

Dave (HWCRR)

Edited by - HWCRR on 02/20/2013 5:29:20 PM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2013 :  6:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice loco, and mechanism below it. Do you plan to add an outer rail to help the table keep in balance or will you simply rely on the spider and good centering of locos?

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2013 :  7:34:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
amazing construction effort - very cool

Elliott

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2013 :  8:01:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I just read through your entire thread while sitting in my easy chair, Netbook on my lap and a microbrew on the side table. Nine pages of interesting dialog, enjoyable humor, great modeling and useful techniques. Now how do you beat that?

Many thanks for the SBS.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/20/2013 :  10:58:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your comments: Frederic, Elliot and Bruce.

There will be a ring rail for the table. I will be adding a couple of cross ties, on each end, to lengthen. This will then accomodate the Consolidation. This is the largest loco I have in my roster.

Just to throw this in: After I had all the materials I needed were gathered up. It took me about 12 hours over a three day period to build two of the spider assemblies. Now, the supervisor is griping at me to get crews building the pits and tables.

I know of one more thing that would go well with that microbrew Bruce. A nice, juciy, pulled pork and coleslaw sandwich!
Wadda ya think?

I really enjoyed building these things. It really isn't that hard, once one gets beyond the overwhelming look of the whole thing.
I know of a few, who have built the tables, then become intimidated by the spider assembly, then never finish. (That included me as well.) No more excuses to whomever this applies.

Happy Railroading!

Dave (HWCRR)

Edited by - HWCRR on 02/21/2013 07:46:09 AM

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2013 :  11:44:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have my attention. Outstanding engine house and turntable!

Philip

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  7:35:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everybody, been awhile since my last installment.

Well, at long last, I have finally received the lumber I ordered so very long ago. It has been so long, I think they had to plant the trees first, then allow them to grow to maturity. I can now get back to work on the enginehouse build.
It has been so long, since my last build of it, that I had misplaced the drawings. Had to make some new ones!

What is now being built, has already had an SBS done. It would be reduntant to post pics of what I am doing now, as it has already been done elsewhere in the thread.

So, I built one of two t/t's that are going to sit atop one of the two spider assemblies I have already built.
I am not going to do an SBS on the t/t's, as they follow the drawings shown in the On30 annual.

There are some missing rods and NBW's and angle attachments for the rod ends still to go, but these pics will give the idea.

Enjoy!

Happy Railroading!!

Dave (HWCRR)

Edited by - HWCRR on 03/21/2013 7:46:30 PM

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Trouble with signage Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Structures Certificate Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000