Railroad Line Forums - Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: harry callahan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Trouble with signage Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Structures Certificate Support Thread
Page: of 12

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  1:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HWCRR

I am not making as rapid a progress on the enginehouse as I would really like to be doing. But, as everyone knows, life has a way of blocking the path of our hobbies at times.
I am, actually, building this structure in many sub-assemblies. When they are all finished (when), it should go together fairly quickly. (Hopefully). Anyway.....

Well, yes ... life certainly plays havoc with our modeling time. You maybe might possibly potentially perhaps find that going nuts with every little thing (oh, let's say making one's own hinges for example) can slow things down just a tad! Of course, I have no way of knowing such things. It's just a guess.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Edited by - dallas_m on 11/09/2012 1:58:39 PM

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  6:28:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmm. That's an interesting take on things Dallas. I think I do it because....I don't know I can, till I do! To me, not doing something I think I can do, limits my ability to do the things I know I can. But, how do I know I can, until I try. See what I mean?

Dave (HWCRR)

Edited by - HWCRR on 11/09/2012 6:37:33 PM

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  6:56:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cat, hat ... in French, chat, chapeau ... yes, it all makes sense! (And that bit about trying to do things just for the sake of finding out is abundantly clear ... guessing, just guessing though, that it could ever so slightly contribute to that "slowing things down" feeling.) Now, any chance of a moss-covered three-handled family gradunza?

Cheers,
Dallas

Edited by - dallas_m on 11/09/2012 7:07:28 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  7:42:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 4 handle one I'm not using anymore!

Greg Shinnie

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  8:16:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, now that we got that chicken across the road, it's back to knitting hinges. Knit 1, pearl 2....

Dave (HWCRR)

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  10:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dallas_m

I don't recall ever seeing anyone use scale wiring techniques to ACTUALLY power their lights. This is totally insane! (And really cool.)

I was just thinking the same. That is completely brilliant!

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  3:32:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, here I am. Once again working on the enginehouse. Been away for awhile, but back at it.
Got back home yesterday and the first thing I did, was a little more construction here.
As I stated earlier on in this build, I am building everything in sub-assemblies, then I will just have to put them into their proper places.
One draw back to this method though, is getting everything to line up properly on the far end.
I decided to do a line up check, just to make sure everything is going as planned. Nothing is actually glued together yet, with the exception of the board and batten siding and the framework it is mounted to. You know the old addage: "The best laid plans of mice and men!" Never understood what a mouse would be planning though, and how that would have anything to do with men!

Anyhow, here are some new pics for you to peruse. Comments are always welcome.
It may take me awhile to get back into the 'groove,' so to speak, but here is a start.

I had, at the first of this project, decided upon flying rafters for the front and rear walls of the enginehouse. Well, I decided it was not actually necessary, as there will not be enough overhang on the eaves, to justify the cost to the railroad. So, everything was re-designed and built to new specs. It is a simple, but functuonal building, no need to pretty it all up with esthetics.

In this pic, you can just see the beginnings of the knobs for the knob and tube wiring for the enginehouse. Each truss will be individually wired, then fastened to the enginehouse, then the feed wiring will go though. I will share how I am going to do this, later on in the thread. The messed up look on the studs, will not be there when the building is finished. Just one of those progress things.

This following pics are just to see how everything is lining up.

Now, just some angles, to get a different perspective.

Can't wait to get back at it full steam.

Enjoy!
Dave (HWCRR)

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  4:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I'm happy to see you back at it.

As you think, so will you be.

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  4:16:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Dave, I'm happy to see you back at it.

Thank you Rick. Yeah, things got a little sidetracked (pun intended), for awhile. But, I will be making progress again. Slow, but sure. Also, I would like to thank you for your comments to my son. He does love 1/35 military.

Dave

Edited by - HWCRR on 12/11/2012 4:21:08 PM

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  4:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Dave, You are getting some nice depth of field up thru the trusses.

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  12:50:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow. Rafter envy.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  07:20:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MinerFortyNiner

Wow. Rafter envy.

Ditto that comment.

I hope you will be able to see all that detail from the outside of the structure.

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  10:13:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the great comments guys.
The detail will be visible as the roof sections will lift off the structure.
The trusses will remain in place as the knob wiring, which is an entegral part of the trusses, will be powering the lighting within the structure.

I do wish to apologize to everyone who has been followintg this build. I do not want to sound korny, but I felt you deserved something.
I have not been making much progress of late. Thought it was a green order board, but the train had to take another sidetrack, due to a trestle being washed out. Now, if that wasn't enough, the switch broke behind it. On the order board all it reads now is: "Not on time!"
The repair crew forman told me that they will have the switch repaired when it's repaired, (very non-commital of him), and the trestle will be as good as new.
No one cares for unforseeable incidences, but, we all know how that goes.
I just hope the produce doesn't spoil.

Happy railroading and enjoy!

Dave (HWCRR)

Edited by - HWCRR on 12/18/2012 11:03:56 AM

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/02/2013 :  07:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everybody. Ryan here.

Dad wanted me to come into the forum and apologize that he has not been doing anything with the enginehouse build. He says that life has a very bad way of getting in the way, of the things we want to do.

Dad says that he hopes the next time he builds a fire in the boiler, it won't fizzle out again.

He asked me to tell you all: (I am a little late on this one, but better late than never, eh).

Have the best of the holiday's and may the new year bring you all your fondest dreams.

Ryan

Edited by - HWCRR on 01/02/2013 07:19:10 AM

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2013 :  10:34:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HWCRR

Hey everybody. Ryan here.

Dad wanted me to come into the forum and apologize that he has not been doing anything with the enginehouse build. He says that life has a very bad way of getting in the way, of the things we want to do.

It certainly does! But ...
a) That makes the modeling time even sweeter when it come around and ...
b) Some of us (who will go unnamed) need other slow and side-tracked modelers so we don't feel lonesome!

This is a project worth watching whatever amount of time it takes ...

Cheers,
Dallas

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Trouble with signage Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Structures Certificate Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000