Railroad Line Forums - Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 77 ]  [ Total: 78 ]  [ Newest Member: csrr70 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Structures Certificate Support Thread
Page: of 12

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  08:49:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. Your comments keep the fire burning!

Here ya go on how I get the "look," on the boards.

First, I will scrape it down with a fine tooth razor saw.

Once I am satisfied with the results, I will then take my fine point tweezers and begin to bring it down the board with enough pressure to scar the wood to the degree I am looking for.

Now that I have the dry rot desired, I will then stain the board with A/I. Especially the scarred areas.
Once this has dried a little, I will apply white glue to the board.

With "ONE" swipe of a wide brush, I will bring it down the board. Notice I did not go all the way to the top. The reason for this is, the boards will not be as weathered under the roof eaves.

I now let this board set long enough for it to just consider drying. Before, I told the forum, "let it set for about ten minutes." I have found it doesn't matter.
I let it set long enough to pick up my brush and fill it with paint. With this method of ageing paint, you can use only water base paints. Again, with only 'ONE' swipe of a wide brush, on goes the paint.
I know it is a hard thing to do only one, sorta like the chips, eh Dallas? (Those made me hungry). I have been there. Gotta retrain and restrain!

Once the paint is on, I then pick up my fine point tweezers again and begin to draw a few lines here and there in the paint.

Now, I set the board aside to completely dry. It must be allow to dry completely. This is how you get the cracking paint effect. Now I can twiddle or I can do another board, mow the yard, have a beer....

Once the board is dry, and it has to be dry on this next step, ( I don't mean to belabor this dry thing, but it is important). I will go over it again, with another swipe of A/I.
Forget about looking for perfection. There is, actually, perfection within imperfection. Now set aside to dry again.

VOILA! Another board finsished and ready to place.

Sorry. Last pic is a little fuzzy.

Enjoy!!

Dave (HWCRR)

Edited by - HWCRR on 10/03/2012 09:18:50 AM

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  12:45:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today being the last day of another three day weekend, it's back to the mines tomorrow. I wanted to get the rest of the trusses for the main building built.
Got it done! Well, almost. Now I have to cut all the gusset plates, paint and weather them. Drill them out and place the NBW's.
Don't have the last yet. Still waiting for them to arrive. Same with the scale lumber. Waiting, waiting, waiting...

I showed the jig for this earlier in the thread, but here I thought I would go ahead and share the building of one truss, with you.

It is built on foam core board with 1/4 inch graph paper on top.

This last pic give a detailed close-up of how I allow for the ridge rafter, right in the truss jig with a piece of the actual size of scale lumber that will be used for the same. It allows for perfect alignment when every thing is final assembled.

This poor jig has really taken a beating!
I am going to build a permanent jig for later builds.

Enjoy!
Happy Railroading!

Dave (HWCRR)

Edited by - HWCRR on 10/04/2012 12:47:14 PM

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  7:25:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reposting here, what was lost recently. Was working on the flying rafter supports.

The gable truss is built lower than the main truss. This way the roof will sit flush and everything will be plumb. At least that's the plan.

Next on the docket, was to figure out a way to wire the structure for lighting.
As the roof is going to be removable, I did not want all that wiring to go wandering around in the rafters in an unseemly fashion.
So.....as I said earlier in the thread, I want to do "knob and tube," as was the latest technology of the twenties.
I found a suitable bead (18/0), to use as the knob part. This fits perfectly onto .025 music wire. But, I could not find anything that would work as the tube and stay in a reasonable rendering of scale.
I went on the internet and found, to my great relief, that most industrial wiring, as opposed to home, was done with post alone. Now ain't that convienient!
Even more convienient, industrial posts were larger than those used in homes....It's getting better and better!
Following are some pics of a little experimentation:

I am going to have to dig way into my past and use all my abilities gained as a scale plank on frame ship modeler.
Putting all that fine wire where it belongs. It will have to be right, as this is going to actually power the lighting of the structure!

Happy railroading!!

Dave HWCRR

Edited by - HWCRR on 10/23/2012 7:59:24 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  8:17:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks electrifyingly (I think that's how you spell that) amazing!
That's the knob alright, but where's the tube?

Greg Shinnie

JoebTX
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  12:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoebTX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave
I think it looks great. I like the way the beads look. Keep up the good work.

Joe Batson MMR#475
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37549

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  2:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't recall ever seeing anyone use scale wiring techniques to ACTUALLY power their lights. This is totally insane! (And really cool.)

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  4:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes indeed. But, I just can't resist.

Dave HWCRR

Edited by - HWCRR on 10/25/2012 8:03:24 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  6:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Awesome job on the roof trusses Dave.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  4:14:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today, I was about to order working hinges for the enginehouse. Then suddenly, the insanity bug bit and I decided to build them myself. Using brass shim stock and brass wire, I did just that. Well, two of them anyway. But, this is really a hoot. I will be building 16 more of the little slups.

Materials and tools:

First, I cut a strip of brass shim to fabricate the door side of the hinges from.
Then, using .025 brass wire, I will roll one end of the brass shim stock around this wire. Once that is finished, I cut the shim stock to the length desired, then cut a slight angle from outside end to hingepoint.

Then, I will cut the piece of wire that is going to be the actual pin.
Here, it is just inside the hinge half for demonstration.

Next, I will cut a piece for the building side of the hinge. This is cut from a wider piece, as it will fit over the other half.

I will then roll these tabs around the same wire.
Once done, I remove the wire entirely, I will then slide the door half into the building half, insert the pin and there you have it. One working hinge!

Now to make the rest of them. Then paint, weather and mount.

Happy railroading!

Dave (HWCRR)

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  6:31:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just one word, awesome.

As you think, so will you be.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  6:40:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's fascinating watching your progress on the engine house, Dave. Your work on the little details is educational and inspirational.

George

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  7:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What everybody else has already said!

Mike

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  7:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooh ... brave man! I have some photo-etch hinges with the shapes already cut ... but not formed ... and THOSE give me at least a little "pause" ... well done!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  7:45:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, the hinges are fantastic!

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  8:41:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the great words guys! Coming from great modelers as yourselves, they are not taken lightly and, are much appreciated.

Here is one of the doors with two of the hinges attached. I do believe NBW's are going to be in order here also. I also believe I overdid the cracking paint on that one plank. REDO!!

I am not making as rapid a progress on the enginehouse as I would really like to be doing. But, as everyone knows, life has a way of blocking the path of our hobbies at times.
I am, actually, building this structure in many sub-assemblies. When they are all finished (when), it should go together fairly quickly. (Hopefully). Anyway.....

I will also take the time to apologize for my lack of photographic skills. Not on the 'A' list for sure and for certain.

Happy railroading!!

Dave (HWCRR)

Edited by - HWCRR on 11/08/2012 8:58:06 PM

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Structures Certificate Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000