Railroad Line Forums - Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: Traintinker ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Trouble with signage Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Structures Certificate Support Thread
Page: of 12

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  02:58:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave your work so far is awesome.

Thanks for the explanations.

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  03:51:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work with a good clear SBS -- thanks!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  9:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave
do I understand correctly that you are using the wax as an adhesive? What happens over time when the wax hardens and crumbles?
Mike M

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  10:00:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mike for your response.

I am using the floor wax as the adhesive for the inside mullions only.
The pieces around the edge of the acetate are fastened with a very thin bead of CA. I don't think I made this very clear, did I? I do this because I have room to work on the edge of the acetate without causing any damage.
As you know, the CA will cause the acetate to 'burn or etch, if I do not get the mullions in the right place the first time. I have messed up windows before and I doubt I am the first to experience that disheartening issue.
With the floor wax, I can move it around getting it to place exact, and not show any damage. (Old eyes)
I cannot say with any certainty that the wax will never do this, but, I have used this method before and have never had any problems with it.
As labor intensive as these windows are, if this does rear its head, I would rather replace the mullions with fresh wax on the back of each, than take a chance on ruining the whole window. Those 'super glue etchings,' are not a pretty sight.
Also, later on in this build, as the entire stucture roof is removable, I was going to show how the windows also remain removable from the inside. Being operating pretty much promises that they will need repairs occasionaly. They are rather fragile. But, I just couldn't help myself.
I have a few spares in the warehouse across the tracks.

Dave (HWCRR)

Edited by - HWCRR on 09/05/2012 10:54:12 PM

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  11:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,
The floor wax you are referring to for an adhesive is it Future Floor Wax?
If that is true it is a natural acrylic, and if you put a couple of coats on the back of the acetate you can get that antique glass look.
Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday
https://www.facebook.com/WeatheringbyRalph

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  11:19:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Ralph

Yes, I use Future floor wax as the adhesive and also to get the "ripple glass," effect. I brush the wax on with a very stiff and elderly paint brush in one direction only and in one swipe, rather than dip.

I also use it for dipping and get a wavy, rainbowish look. I have a few buildings where I have done it in that manner.

Dave (HWCRR)

Edited by - HWCRR on 09/05/2012 11:29:31 PM

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  11:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for all the encouraging words. I don't get here but a few days out of the week and sometimes, I get remiss (old timers), on letting everyone know that I do appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

Dave (HWCRR)

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  08:52:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave
it's interesting how the wax does not bleed/soak into the wood and cause problems. Your older projects have lasted how long so far? Months? Years? As for the ACC burning, have you considered canopy glue. The stuff airplane builders use for gluing windows and balsa?
I'm always up for a new method to do something. So I'm asking these questions as part of the learning process. No negative comments , just learning questions.
BTY, your windows are awesome. They are HO scale, right? A few years back someone shared making operating sliders. Yours are right next to his in quality and detail. Fantastic work with "old" eyes.
Mike M

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  3:04:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your interest Mike

I have never had any problems with bleed or soak in. At least not that was ever noticeable under the lens or eye. It could have something to do with the molecules being to big or some such thing as that. But that is complete conjecture on my part.
Now another line of thought could be, that because it is liquid, it does penetrate the wood just enough to make a bond with the Future on the acetate. Now, having said all this, I may just be proving my ignorance. I just know that I have never had any problems with using this in my window projects. All the above conjecture may be the same reason as to why the mullions have not fallen out in recent as well as present projects.
Future Floor Wax is actually, a misnomer. It was pointed out by fellow modeler Ralph above, that it is a liquid acrylic.
I do know this for sure. When it first came out the advertisement said: "Are you tired of waxy build up? With Future, no more yellow floors!" Hey, I think they even hit it with a hammer to prove their point. Just think of the abuse it is put through on a floor!
I have two structures I built recently: well recent in that is has been (WOW) two years? I think: since they left the box and hit the work bench. One was the B&O Hotel produced by Banta. I rebuilt all the window frames with basswood, (no open and closing). I don't like the peel and stick stuff. The acetate mullions are held in place with the Future also. Nothing fallen out yet. The other was "Greely's Place," produced by BTS. Again, rebuilt the windows with wood and attached the window frame and mullions to the acetate with Future. The only thing that fell out, was one entire window. But, nothing else came off the window. It is still sitting in a drawer waiting to be replaced into the structure.
One more note. I started modeling in HO, went to HOn3 and now I work only in "O" scale. More precisely, "On30". I am a sucker for the 'narrow' stuff. But, only my 'eyes' know the difference.
My fingers and eyes just would not put up with the teeny anymore.

Hope my conjecture has helped in some way. I just know it works and has never given me any problems. I pretty much follow the adage "if it works....use it." If it doesn't work, well, it's time to build a better mouse trap.

Dave (HWCRR)

Edited by - HWCRR on 09/06/2012 3:20:45 PM

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  4:04:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful work Dave, and great teaching thread. Can you tell us the scale you are working in, or did I just miss it? It looks to be a bit larger then O-scale, but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance, and keep it coming!

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  8:56:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave & Mike,
Thought you might like to read about the uses of Future Floor Wax in Modeling. Here is a link,

http://www.ndrr.com/rmr_faq/models/Future-Floor-Wax.htm

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

I hope this answers some of the questions and opens some doors for its use.
Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday
https://www.facebook.com/WeatheringbyRalph

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  9:04:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ralph
Thank you. Never thought of Future floor wax as an acrylic finish. The second link is really deep in information. Need to add Future to my future modeling tools.
Thank you again.
Dave thank you for your followup. Keep up the awesome build.
Mike M

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  8:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And thank you from here also Ralph. I really appreciate the links. It opens up a whole new material for modeling. I had only been using it for windows.
A little addendum here: I can no longer turn to 'ignorance." These are great links with an abundance of uses for this simple, but amazing product.

Dave

Edited by - HWCRR on 09/11/2012 09:16:43 AM

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  7:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today, I built a full size, foam core board mock-up of the enginehouse

This is the rear elevation. The blank space on the back wall, is where the boiler and engine room will be located.

Two of the right side elevation.
The upper section will be office space.
The lower is where the machine shop will be located.

Front elevation

Left side elevation

Another rear elevation

This one speaks for itself.

Also built up two walls. Front with door openings and side, with windows loosely fit into place.

[

Everything is built the way we used to build those balsa airplanes. Pattern under wax paper, then pins to hold the glued pieces together until set.
Nothing fancy going on here yet.

I still have to do just a little more work on the inside of the mock up. The office space will extend into the enginehouse about 12 feet. This will be the shop foremans office, cantilevered over the enginehouse floor. There will be an inside set of stairs going up to this level.

On the right side elevation, there will be an outside staircase going up to a landing then into the office area.

This is just a quick overview of what I have planned for this project.

Too much time and not enough to do? That don't sound right. Too much to do and not enough time. Yeah, that's it.
Dave (HWCRR)

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  7:54:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eventually, the facility will include a paint shop, sandhouse, engine oil tank(s), water tank and gallows turntable, plus assorted small outbuildings including storage and outhouses in critical areas.

Dave (HWCRR)

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Trouble with signage Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Structures Certificate Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000