Railroad Line Forums - Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 78 ]  [ Total: 85 ]  [ Newest Member: LongHornCaddy2 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Structures Certificate Support Thread
Page: of 12

Collin Loo
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/01/2014 :  4:48:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is very nice to see new updates on this project and you are doing an amazing job. Keep it coming...

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  6:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dallas, George and Collin!

Yes Dallas, the challenge I have put before myself is definitly on the nutz side....just a tad.

Today, I have been working on making a concrete slab, that will go into the back right 1/3 corner of the enginehouse. This is where part of the machine shop equipment will be placed.
I will show a better pic of this and how I made it later.

Also, I made the center posts supports today. They are made from 1/4" by 1/4" x 7/64" pieces of white Evergreen strip plastic.
I bevel the four sides on the upper edges and paint to look resemble concrete.

Here is a daytime shot:

Late afternoon:

Nighttime:

I also have been working on the toilet house in the back left hand corner. Will show better pics of that later also.

Sorry, the pics are little fuzzy. Slowly but surely [maybe), it's coming along.

Enjoy

Dave HWCRR
Seattle, Wa

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  9:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah! Despite the fuzzy pix, it's conveying a sense of mass to the structure and ... well, it will be fun to see more and more taking shape in there! Nice work.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  01:46:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress Dave.

As you think, so will you be.

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  06:51:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks really good.

Bryan

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  09:11:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas, Rick, Bryan...thank you!

Bryan, am I missing something or have you not been posting on your thread?

I have been doing some dry runs on the enginehouse wiring and, it is being difficult.
As you say Dallas, it's nutz! But, I will not give up on this.
I don't know if I will do another structure with this, but as they say...once you learn to ride a bycicle, you never forget.

Dave HWCRR
Seattle, Wa

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  4:24:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As anyone who comes into my threads, I am always having a problem with pics being to yellow. To dark. To washed out. Blurred...etc..

Well today, I decided to try something different.
I purchased some Satco white fluoresent bulbs.
These pups are only 13W, but put out an almost pure white light.

I brought them home, put them in my worklight fixture and I could not believe the light this thing puts out.

13 WATTS! It's truly amazing the difference it made in my pics and my ability to actually see my work better. NO YELLOW ORANGISH LIGHT/w washed out detail.

DUH!!

Well, still not real great, but better. Now it is grainy.

Dave HWCRR
Seattle, Wa

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  4:33:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about the experimentation here, but I am thouroughly exasperated about all this.

Here I have made the pic smaller.

Well, that did away with the grainy apperance, but now it's back to a little blurred.

I think I am going to have to break down and spend more money than on the cost of a light bulb. At least is ain't yellow!!
Maybe a visit to the eye doctor.

Dave HWCRR
Seattle, Wa

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  01:28:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, it's a very nice modelling work.
Second, concerning the pictures. You first might consider putting the model over a large white sheet of paper that could hide the bench background and make the model itself stand out in the picture more than it does there.
Second, I'd say that the pic seems a bit overexposed. If you can choose manually the settings of the camera, I think lightly increasing the speed of the shot might improve the picture (it will be even more necessary if you put the model on a white background as mentionned above).
All these things seem easier to do than the great modelling you are displaying picture after picture.

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/15/2014 :  12:24:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today, I didn't get very much done, but I did get the center support beam permanently installed. Did some more work on the electrical knobs and, made and installed the concrete floor for the machine shop area.

That's about it for today. Not sure when next posting will be.
Gotta personal matter I have to take care of. But, hopefully it will not take too terribly long.

Dave HWCRR
Seattle, Wa

Edited by - HWCRR on 05/15/2014 12:28:42 AM

lemkerailroad1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2017 :  10:35:00 AM  Show Profile  Send lemkerailroad1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
i know this is a little outdated but has there been any more progress on this, im loving this build and would like to see some more

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  07:05:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Long time, been absent. Came back in the other day and saw the thread was still here. Thank you Dave for your comment.
There are a couple of reasons why this thread just ended. First, my sons cat really tore the enginehouse up. A six foot drop to an unforgiving surface. A cats curiosity! Second, the hwcrr, was dismantled for a move.
My brother and I had big plans for a model railroad to a large, stand alone building... but as the poet Robert Burns said: the best made schemes of mice and men...
The building was absolutely perfect. 50'x 25' inside floor space. Unimpeded by any support posts. Cement floor, two doors and only one window. Well, we had it going when an issue came up that we had no control over. The building went away and...
The layout was disposed of.

I still have all the structures, including the engine house, though the damage is extensive, it could be repaired. But my heart just ain't there. Sorry for any inconvenience. There are things we should do, could do, might do...but the but monkeys get in the way.
Maybe one of these days.

Happy railroading!!!

Dave
Hwcrr
Seattle

Edited by - HWCRR on 03/14/2017 08:34:18 AM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  08:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your update Dave. That's too bad, as it was a very nice building and I was hoping to see more. Perhaps a train in there tool I would follow along with anything you build. Great modeling.
Rich

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  11:38:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the comments Rich. I had no idea that my builds were so appreciated.
After I posted, then read your post, I actually dug the engine house out and started appraising the damage and what it would take to repair and continue on with the thread. It is pretty bad, but...
Between you and Dave, it sorta got the juices flowing again.

Dave
HWCRR
Seattle

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Structures Certificate Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000