Railroad Line Forums - Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Trouble with signage Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Structures Certificate Support Thread
Page: of 12

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  07:53:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terribly sorry about the fire, but glad to see you "back at it" ... and ... WOW! That wiring sure looks terrific!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  08:56:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about the fire, that is really scary, I am not sure I would have the gumption to continue on. I like what you have done with the engine house wiring and lighting so far. What is the plan for the lights beyond the LED's, how many lights, and what is the power source. What we don't work on and calculate is multiple buildings all with lights, and some sort of lighting bus.

Les

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  09:04:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about the fire, that is really scary, I am not sure I would have the gumption to continue on. I like what you have done with the engine house wiring and lighting so far. What is the plan for the lights beyond the LED's, how many lights, and what is the power source. What we don't work on and calculate is multiple buildings all with lights, and some sort of lighting bus.

Les

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  09:31:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Dallas and Les. Your comments are very greatly received!

The enginehouse is one of several buildings that are going into a large engine service facility diorama.
Each building will have its own power supply as each is a stand alone diorama in and of itself.
I am using self contained, 6v chargers. As the led's are 2v, they cannot be run without some resistance involved.
Rather than using one resistor and wiring in series, I am using 170 ohm 1/8 w resistors for each led and am running in parallel.
That way, each led gets the same amount of voltage. Whereas in series, the farther up the wiring, the dimmer they get. This way, they will all have the same degree of brightness.
The resistors will be hidden inside the base double beams of the trusses.
There will be twenty led's in the enginehouse. Five of the nine trusses will have four leds each.
As I stated, each building will have its own power supply. This carries over to the exterior lights also. Those will also be powered by the same source, as the building sitting on the base of each.
I will have six separate power supplies which will all be plugged into a power strip attached to the framing of the main diorama base.
Then, when I want to display each, I just unplug its supply and lift it out of the main diorama. The control switches for each will also just unplug. "Voila!!" Portable!
As I got these little power supplies free, it is cheaper to go this route than building six different power supplies. Of course, no insult to your thought process intended, this is just me, belabouring the obvious.
When I get back into the build, I will have photos as I go, showing all this taking shape.

Hope this is a good explanation.

Oh, and a little editing here.

I come from a long line of "gumptioners." I was raised on a farm in Mid South Illinois. If you did not work, you did not eat! One of my jobs, was getting up early enough in the morning, to wake the rooster!

Dave HWCRR

Edited by - HWCRR on 06/12/2013 09:38:35 AM

EM-1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  3:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit EM-1's Homepage  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The wire electrical box, along with the looks of an old industrial setting, is AMAZING!!!!! My only question is, what scale is this? That's some tiny work in any scale, but in HO, that be impressive!

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  3:48:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EM-1

The wire electrical box, along with the looks of an old industrial setting, is AMAZING!!!!! My only question is, what scale is this? That's some tiny work in any scale, but in HO, that be impressive!

The enginehouse is in "O" scale. I started out modeling in HO, but the eyes and the hands started getting too old, so I went to the larger stuff. Thank you for looking in and commenting.

Edited by - HWCRR on 08/29/2013 7:20:16 PM

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/30/2014 :  01:22:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it has been some time since this thread has shown up.

I brought it back out of storage and decided to go ahead and begin to permanently bond the enginehouse together.

Other than this, I have done nothing else to the structure since leaving off with the last post. With one exception. I did finsih putting all the siding on and most of the battens. Still some of those to place.

Hopefully, I will soon be able to get back into this build in all earnest. One thing, I am going to have to rebuild the floor. That's why the center support columns are hanging above the floor. There will be concrete pads that fill the gap.
Here are some shots (not that good, they all look washed out, no detail)
I took of what I accomplished today. No step by step as most of this was done, but just needed to be assembled.

Dave HWCRR
Seattle, Wa

Edited by - HWCRR on 04/30/2014 09:11:38 AM

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/30/2014 :  01:39:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do believe I need to take pics in the sunlight. We are having some of that now and I should take advantage of it while it lasts.

Dave HWCRR
Seattle, Wa

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/30/2014 :  09:35:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice to see thread pop up again and see you back at it Dave.

As you think, so will you be.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/30/2014 :  10:48:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful to see this build and thread return to the active listing! I feel like I've run into a old friend. Looking forward to seeing a whole lot more of your work and ideas.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Edited by - hon3_rr on 04/30/2014 10:49:15 AM

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/30/2014 :  11:59:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Rick and Kris.

I had let it sit on the shelf of the 'to do,' and it was begging me to do something.

I took some more shots of it this morning, in natural light. Not to be redundant on the pics here, but I had to see if it an improvement.

Still a little on the washed out side, but a big improvement. More detail is apparent.
Those previous photos truly vacuum.

Perhaps my camera is the problem. Some of the detail is still washed out.
Have been looking at an SLR, with changeable lenses. I am a complete neophyte when it comes to cameras. Whew! $600.00 big ones! That's the cheap one!

Dave HWCRR
Seattle, Wa

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/30/2014 :  1:10:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I have finally come to where the rubber meets the road, so to speak.

How to wire this up in so small an area and still maintain as realistic a look as possible.

To see just how small I could get the soldered joints, I ran a test strip.

Once I had soldered them, I then touched them up with copper paint.

Not too bad, but I think I can to better. Practice, practice, practice.

This is the wiring going to the first set of knobs.
Working around this means, a small area. I will probably have to run one wire at a time to its knob, then wire the light wiring to it, then run the next. Very tight!

I can do this, I can do this, I can do this.

I am reliving the days of model ship rigging here.

Dave HWCRR
Seattle, Wa

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/01/2014 :  11:07:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First things first here.

In the back pages of this thread, I showed how I did my lighting fixtures.
The only problem with them is that the base of the L.E.D., shows on the top of the light reflector.
I am sure everyone here knows that not only is light emitted from the lens of the L.E.D., it is also emitted from the bottom end.
I have tried to paint over the ends, but light still seeps through. Personally, I do not care for it.

What to do?

Here is the solution my engineers came up with, To make an electrical connection box.

First off, I drill a 5/32" hole into a piece of 1/4"x7/64" Evergreen white plastic strip. I do not drill this completely through.
Then on both side of and within that hole, I drill two 1/16" holes.

Once done with this step, I cut the piece, leaving a 1/4" square block.

Then I glue the L.E.D. into place.

I glue around the base of the L.E.D., then push the reflector onto the L.E.D. and snug against the plastic base.

Now for a test fit on the rafter beam.

Now, to paint and voila! No light except where it should be.

Once weathered and dirtied up, it will look like it belongs there.

So, there it is. Electrical boxes on the reflector bases.
And no light escaping other than where it should.

Dave HWCRR
Seattle, Wa

Edited by - HWCRR on 05/01/2014 11:31:48 AM

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2014 :  11:41:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The enginehouse is looking great! The mini wiring is just plain nutz! (but in a good way)

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2014 :  1:43:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Impressive work on the wiring. The pictures in the sunlight are fantastic.

George

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Trouble with signage Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Structures Certificate Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.51 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000