Railroad Line Forums - Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 97 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Trouble with signage Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Structures Certificate Support Thread
Page: of 12

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  02:51:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work again, Dave.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  10:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome.

As you think, so will you be.

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  1:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that's a doozie! Neat to see the turntable with the visible spider wheels underneath. Looking good ...

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  2:51:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HWCRR

Dave,I love the job you've done, it looks amazing, but I'm curious as to what the semi round things are, in the middle of the center grouping of ties on the turntable bridge?
Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday
https://www.facebook.com/WeatheringbyRalph

Edited by - CN6401 on 03/22/2013 2:51:43 PM

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  3:03:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, what a fantastic turntable! Watching with great interest, thanks for the great photos.

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  6:46:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much everyone, for your marvelous words. They do mean a lot.

Now, Ralph. Here is my best at explaing this. Those half round pieces, are the saddles for the crosswise tension rods. On the ends of the angle cut cross ties in the center, you will see an NBW on one of them. All the angle cut sections on the end, will have NBW's in the same location. I just ran out. More on order.
On 1' = 1' these were designed to apply a lot of tension in the center ties, to more rather than less, keep the ties from rising off the spyder assembly, in the middle. When a loco was sitting, it was applying a great deal of weight and the outward ends would have a tendency to lift up off the spider assembly. By having these run as they do, it kept everything where it belonged. From the way it is all constructed, it actually appears that it would be working against itself. But, practically every pic I see of these, they are there. They are actually, working both ends against the middle, if you will. Tension and compression. Rather ingenious really!
I almost didn't put them in. But, they had to be there for a good reason. I was not satisfied with just: "they are also in the drawings of the T/T in the On30 Annual, so I will do it also." Gotta be a reason for 'em.

I was asking myself the same question. But, this is the answer I received for my query.
If anyone else has a better way of explaning this, please share it here.

Happy Railroading All!

Dave HWCRR

Edited by - HWCRR on 03/22/2013 6:55:55 PM

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/27/2013 :  08:43:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AS I said earlier, I am not going to continue with the SBS on the enginehouse, until I get to a place where I have not already covered. Here are just some update photos, of where its at, since I finally got all the lumber I needed.
Yesterday, I did the framing for the left and back wall of the enginehouse. Then I squared everything up and discovered that, I was off on the length of the back wall, by 1/32". This difference, I can split at the back doors of the enginehouse on either side and, it will never be be noticed. It will only increase the width of each door by 1/64".

Happy Railroading!

Dave (HWCRR)

Edited by - HWCRR on 03/27/2013 08:47:23 AM

Geezer
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/28/2013 :  11:32:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next time I build a house or garage Dave....I will hire you
as my lead framer....Vey neat & well constructed framing.
Keep it going.....

"You can find my Website & Threads here:"
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47229

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/28/2013 :  11:38:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
handsome looking structure so far - great modeling - I've been luring and remiss at not remarking

Elliott

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/09/2013 :  8:47:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, for all your comments. They do encourage.

Well, I have decided to finally tackle some of the knob wiring for the enginehouse. This is going to be very involved. I have to do the back wall first, as this is also where the power for all the lighting will come through the side of the building and into the panel. All the supply wiring will be hidden, behind the panel. I will get into that a little later on.

I made the panel out of scraps of basswood I had laying around. Not sure I like it yet. Perhaps after I put on some hinges, a handle and some dirtying it up some. It might just become a keeper.

Just painted it with gun metal at this point and drilled the six holes that the wiring will exit from and go up to the separator/insulator boards. These will also get the wiring going in the right direction, to either side of the enginehouse.

I am going to let the pics pretty much show what's going on.

This is it so far. Just had time to run the two wires. One hot and one nuetral. Tomorrow is another day. Hopefully, I will get the wiring all done on this wall.

So far, I have not started throwing anything because of the very delicate and tedious nature of this part of the project. Patience is a virtue. Or so they tell me.

Happy Railroading!!

Dave HWCRR

Edited by - HWCRR on 04/10/2013 04:24:39 AM

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  04:15:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't seem to get to sleep, so I got up and did a little more work on the wiring. I don't remember ever mentioning the wire size I am using. Each wire is a single strand from an old lamp cord. Tossed the lamp, but never toss the wire. One can always find a use.
Here are a few more pics of what I did tonight/morning.
I put one hinge on the power panel and weathered it some. Still not quite satisfied.
Also, the separaters were angled the wrong direction at the top, this would cause the wiring to cross over each other. Not a good thing. So, I undid and redid the wiring with the separator at the correct angle. Will have to change the other one also.

Happy Railroading!!

Dave

Edited by - HWCRR on 04/10/2013 04:30:05 AM

Geezer
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  06:37:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic! I don't know if I would have the
patience to do that detail. Very well done
Dave.....

"You can find my Website & Threads here:"
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47229

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  10:10:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job on the detailing. Will there be power running through them wires?

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  10:41:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much Bill and Lynn. Your comments do bring great satisfaction, and give more impetus to climb on.

Yes Lynn, the knob wiring is designed to actually power all the enginehouse interior lighting. The lights will be 3mm soft white flood led's. These have the desirable effect of looking like incandescent bulbs.

Thanks again!

Dave (HWCRR)

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  07:26:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I have not been around keeping you posted on the enginehouse build.
The fire destroyed all my backup DVD's. Once I back up, I remove the pics from the computer. Big mistake!!
What was lost? All the progress photo's of the enginehouse build.
Since the fire, I have not done much on any of the projects. But, I did find a micro SD card, that had the last things I had done, and where the build was at before the disaster hit!

I wanted to keep all but the post wiring invisible. So, I built a large coal bin for the enginehouse. Where it is attached, I drilled a hole through the wall into this bin.
Then once the wiring in the electrical box was finished, it was of course run through this hole. It will go down through the supporting surface of the diorama, to its electrical source.
I do not know when I will actually go back to the build, but it will eventually happen.
Just so much to do now with the 1:1 stuff.

This light area on the enginehouse floor, is where a concrete slab will be modeled. This will be the machine shop area.

The flooring and rails are all in and I am now ready to begin the wiring for each truss.
Oh yes, I forgot to mention, the wire I finally decided upon, after trying size after size after size, is made from strands taken from a power cord of an old dvd player. I used a rubberized spray paint, in very light coats, to get the color I wanted for the wire insulation. It will be all dirtied up some later.

This is about all I have right now. Hopefully, I will be able to get back into it sooner or later. The former would be preferable, but...

Happy railroading everybody.

Dave HWCRR

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Trouble with signage Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Structures Certificate Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000