Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 117 ]  [ Newest Member: Ben de Vink ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 98

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/22/2018 :  11:46:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you keeping track of how much this all cost? I know when we get ahold of a project that is driven by passionate interest we tend to not worry so much about the cost. Even so, I know Shapeways ain't cheap...

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/22/2018 :  3:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, Thank you, The support is most appreciated.

Harold, Better late than never. A drill press! I wish I would of thought of that. That would be the way to go. Next time I will. The Romford style axles and drivers are good products. I really like the crankpins (I use the deluxe ones) that they have for them. I wish I could use them on everything. It get really good service from scale links too.

Mike, Thank you very much. I will conquer ALL of them. The enemy has been sighted and are just starting to organize. They have not yet massed together. My allies have planned a massive assault on them and supplies are being stock pilled for it (meaning I eating a lot of protein and swimming 3 times a week) and DeeDay is Oct. 25 and no quarter will be shown. Even nukes will be used if needed. To slaughter Shakespeare's words we all have to leave the stage someday and my will is for that to be many years away. In the mean time I'm going to focus on all the good in my life and have fun.

Galen, Yes, but not really. Yes, this is a passion driven project, but I do notice the costs. The final casting, detail parts, motors and etc. stuff about 500-600 each engine. You can add another 200 for FUD prototypes and other development costs. How do I put a value on the hundreds of hour of time learning how to and making 3d drawings? It's all has been/is fun but there is no financial incentive here. Just a great deal of satisfaction that I'm getting what I've always wanted.
On Shapeways, for making the unavailable available they are a bargain. As long as you work in the plastic it is very affordable (remember the law of relativity). The casting service is in line with other providers.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2018 :  7:35:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a little proud of myself as the soldering I feared to do went smoothly. In this photo you can see the assembled cylinders, cross-head, their guilds and yoke assembled. It also show the two frames. The one without the wheels is the 1/8" axle version. It has been Filled to accept the cylinder casting. I included the 3mm version so you can see what changes I had to make.

Here are the frame and cylinders together.

These parts are laid out so the model can run so when I compared the Assembly to the prototype plans and found that they perfectly corresponded to each other, I was more than pleased.

Enjoy guys

Bob

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  08:36:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd be proud of myself too Bob, after designing and assembling a project like that.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  09:18:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks amazing, Bob. It must be a great feeling when things fit as they should.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  12:39:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, Mike, Thank you very much.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  7:30:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today's baby step was to mount the the Cross-head Yoke onto the frame. This was complicated because the pilot holes I had drawn into the part were in the wrong spot. They didn't line up with the support beam I had put into the frame so I had to re-drill the holes. Thinking about it over night I decided that the yoke only needed one screw to do the job. So I spent this session of bench time drilling and treading the frame and yoke. This is a 1mm screw so one must be careful not to break the Tap. I worked slow and careful and got it done. Since the yoke was now 3" further back than I had planed I thought it would be wise to check the Clearance of the gearbox, Good thing, the yoke now encroached into the gearbox's needed space. So I set up the milling machine and took care of that. After cleaning it up with a file here's how she now looks.

The new drivers and new main drive rod are still in transit but I think I can set up the side rods while T wait.

Bob

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  3:25:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, I have just updated after a busy weekend and week. And what an update! The progress you have made is fantastic! Really shows what can be made with skill, persistance and ingenuity

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  4:25:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much Håkan. I would of made more progress if I hadn't damaged the driver. The replacement driver arrived from Scale-Link yesterday. Unfortunately in departure from their usual service the driver I sent To Don Ball to "Blind" got delayed but hopefully will arrive to him tomorrow.

It's only make-believe

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  6:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Your work on this engine is a fine example of how to do a large, multi-step project, akin to eating the elephant. You are right about the hours we put into our hobby and the learning, personal skills growth, etc. that results. Setbacks are a pain, but they can teach us lessons we wouldn't have learned otherwise.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  9:54:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ocalicreek

Bob,

Your work on this engine is a fine example of how to do a large, multi-step project, akin to eating the elephant. You are right about the hours we put into our hobby and the learning, personal skills growth, etc. that results. Setbacks are a pain, but they can teach us lessons we wouldn't have learned otherwise.

Galen

Galen, I liked that "eating an Elephant". Gave me a smile for hours.

Today the Elephant wasn't too tough. I assembled and Quartered the replacement driver and prepped the brass drive rods but drilling out the screw holes the right size to receive the pins. Until I get the "blinded" driver back from my friend or the main rods from Shapeways' there is little more that I can do on the 1/8"axle model. So I'll work a little on the 3mm axle model. Just to remind you all, This version is using 3mm Axles Greenways (former Balboa) drivers. These driver like most Imports from Japan and Korea use use 1/16-60W screws to hold on the drive rods. So what screw are available today with this tread? One, that I know of. Precision Scale #335. It has a .01 shoulder. My drive rods are .005 thick so I can use these for my main Pin but they will have way too much play to be used for the #3 drivers. So unless one of you know a source or 1/16-60W screws with .005 shoulders I'm going have to build a pair.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 09/26/2018 9:58:02 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  10:10:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Would it be acceptable to punch out a washer of the right size from .005 shim brass? There are plenty of references in old MR articles to using broken or dull drills as punches when an odd diameter was needed.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  10:56:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Would it be acceptable to punch out a washer of the right size from .005 shim brass? There are plenty of references in old MR articles to using broken or dull drills as punches when an odd diameter was needed.

A washer would work. I don't think it would look good though.

It's only make-believe

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2018 :  09:02:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob,

Have been popping in occasionally checking on your progress. I'm quite impressed with what you are doing. It's got me to thinking about using 3D for making masters for plastic injection molding. Have done some research on table top injection machines using STL resin master for making resin molds for limited run items. I'm thinking TT models.

Don't want to hijack the thread. Just thought I post my thought's as to what you are inspiring in me. Carry on. I'll check in now then watch your progress. It's very encouraging.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2018 :  12:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Bernd, Thank you very much I appreciate your kind remarks. I've seen those Personal plastic injectors on the WEB and there are a couple of Video on Youtube on how to use 3D software and printing to make the molds. Looks promising. I looked at a few days ago and concluded it wouldn't help me in what I'm doing but I can see it would sure help others. Like those who still need freight cars. After you make the mold you could just pop out a dozen or so. I think you would still want to add on the details though.

Other news, Shapeways has shipped my new main rod design. so I better figure out exactly how I'm going to attach them to the Cross-head.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Page: of 98 Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000