Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 65 ]  [ Total: 70 ]  [ Newest Member: schantze ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2018 :  12:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everybody. Your support is very helpful. The yoke got through the computer and people check.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/11/2018 :  12:07:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It contrasts very much with the brass parts which by the way look great!
What is the material?

Glad you are up in the saddle again.

Håkan

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/11/2018 :  11:52:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Sorry for the delay in reply. I use the least-colored washer fluid I could find, which is a very very pale blue. I have noticed no indication of that color coming through, even when thinning white paint. If I could find an absolute clear I'd use it but right now I have a good supply so it'll be a while before I need more.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2018 :  5:45:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, The material was Matalic Plastic.

Galen, Thank you. I asked because the blue and green windshield cleaner use different base chemicals.

The rest of the install of the Laser cutter is in. I added this moister/dirt trap into the air line;

When it gets here I'm also going to install a air filter on the compressors intake because I don't believe dust is good in any machine, especially high presser ones. Finding a simple filter proved difficult but I finally found one made for motor bikes that mounts on a 1" pipe so I just have to get a 1" to 1/2" reducer.
The laser has a sensor on it that makes sure the coolant is working. I wanted a little more protection so I added on of these;

You have to look hard but there is a fan in the center that spins when the water is flowing. It is mounted right above the lid.

Finally here is a picture of the machine, in place and coolant tank sitting beneath it.

Yes I finally have a place to put all those magnets I've picked up on my travels too.

I've only test fired the laser. I put an ity,bitty hole in some cardboard and set copy paper (That was fun!) on fire.

This machine is going to be lots of fun. Got to align the mirrors first.

Have fun guys, the laser may be fun, but....

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2018 :  6:59:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Bob. Here's to years of enjoyment.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  06:27:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This machine is going to be lots of fun

OK, I am officially jealous.

Congrats Bob!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  09:20:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

You’re putting lots of time in this and thinking of every contingency. I’m looking forward to seeing it in action.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  09:27:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Have been stopping by now and then to see what's going on. As Carl said, "I am officially jealous." Me too. I'm torn between getting a CNC lathe or a laser. Maybe I'll get both.

I've used "denatured alcohol" to thin paint. Worked pretty good. You can get 1 gal. cans of it at home stores or hardware stores. Paint seems to dry faster too.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  3:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike and Frank, Thank you.
Carl and Bernd, Thank you. But, don't be too jealous please. For what I spent on this laser I could of bought 15 quality craftsman kits. We all can have a lot of fun building those kits. But I have to have different, unique structures (as if you hadn't notice) so this machine will save me a lot of time. Buy the time I go through the machines and its software's learning curve and considering the extra time I will spending in preparing drawings I'll still be ahead in the game. Still this machine will have little effect on how my finished models look. That will still depend on how well I assemble "my Kits" and finish them.

Oh Bernd, Thank you for the note on paint thinning. It's my understanding that blue windshield fluid is alcohol based.

It's only make-believe

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  08:08:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

I've been contemplating buying a laser for some time. Being I like to do some modeling in TT scale, a laser would be nice to have. I am a bit ahead in the drawing and programing of CNC machines since I worked with big CNC machines at work. Then having the Sherline CNC mill allowed me to learn how to program a CNC machine. So ya, I'd like to get a laser.

As for the windshield washer fluid, I remember modelers talking of using it to thin acrylic paint. Knowing the washer fluid having alcohol in it made me wonder of denatured alcohol would be better since it didn't have all that extra "stuff" in it to clean your windshield. seems to work find for the little testing I've done with it.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  1:02:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bernd,
Yes, the programming would be easy for you. Just a matter of adapting a few particulars. On Chinese lasers you have two ways you can go. Buy a 40 watt for about 400 and start upgrading it or buy a 50 watt for about 1000 more and just upgrade the bed so that air can flow around the work.

You're probably taking the higher course in avoiding the "extra stuff" that is in windshield fluid but it does seem to work.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  2:29:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the setup Bob! My experience with the 40w laser is as you say. Instead of upgrading a cheaper one I bought a juiced up one that was rtr.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/31/2018 :  3:01:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little progress on the moguls. The crosshead yoke in brass came in;

I think it looks way better than the Metallic Plastic version.

and here with the boiler and running boards in place;

Now comes the slow and careful assembly of the parts. I'll first assemble the FUD prints. That way I can check all the clearances, find out what assembly process works and know what to expect in the brass pieces.

I also hop to test fire the laser today.

It's only make-believe

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/31/2018 :  3:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Beautiful brass and a burst of light! Good luck with the laser test...make something fun.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/31/2018 :  6:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

You’re building a truly beautiful model. It looks so much better in brass.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000