Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 124 ]  [ Total: 131 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2018 :  1:24:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Galen, it's primed white to keep out bugs and look a little better. I'm on the east-side of LA in Pico Rivera. And you are right I bought a Laser cutter and engraver. a Chinese 50 watt version.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2018 :  5:55:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, I got a little more done this morning. First I added one of these to each leg;

I don't know if this machine needs to be level but I guess it won't hurt.
I then finished cleaning up the corner in my work shop where the machine is going. Here are two views of the bench in place;

I allowed for 6" between the back of the machine and the wall and I don't know if that is enough as tubing and exhaust ducting has to go in there. I guess I should ask somebody and find out. With this 6" I have 22" between the Machine's bench work (which I made the same as the machine's footprint) and the workbench on the left. That should give me plenty of room to work. Further plans call for a wharf scene above this workbench but I will not let that encroach into this isle. I had to move the white cabinet directly to the right of the machine bench 4"s to make enough room for the machine. This cabinet is a Walmart cheappy thing that I've already have had to re-enforce with additional material. Money was tighter then. I almost just threw it away but when considering how heavy (not) the stuff I was going to put in it was, I decided it was worth keeping. I think I should cut a hole in the wall and install the exhaust vent before I invite some young friends over to move the machine into place. What do you guys think?

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2018 :  7:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Humm, let's see, 143 pounds, requires an exhaust vent, I'm going rocket test bed.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2018 :  8:08:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bought a Laser cutter and engraver. a Chinese 50 watt version

Very cool Bob. Too bad we'll have to wait a while to see pix of these. Unless you get them out just for us....

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  10:50:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, The rockets are tested in the back yard.

Carl, the pictures will come. but I'm keeping it in the crate until I can get help to move it into place.

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  2:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure the machine needs to be carefully leveled. Nothing you can't handle :-) Also, make sure the vent opens away from the neighbors. There are stories about neighbors calling the fire department because of the smell from a laser cutter.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  12:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, Thank you, I haven't thought about the neighbors. Sounds like some communications will be needed.

Kreg fastener system. I've stating using this on my benchwork. I really like it. A little easier, seems a lot stringer joints.

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  4:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'Kreg Fastener' - is this the jig that drills a deep hole at an angle, along with the (square drive) screws? I have that tool, but didn't use it for benchwork. (I just used conventional woodworker torx screws except when I was working with plywood. Then to keep the sheets of plywood at the same elevation, I used my biscuit joiner.)

dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  5:48:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Dave, That's the one. You can see some of the holes in the close up shot of the footing. Using a biscuit joiner is a good idea. I just make sure that the plywood joints don't line up with the sub-roadbed joints.

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  6:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Biscuit joiner?

I usually pull my biscuits apart for easier buttering... never wanted to join 'em.

Andre

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  7:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Biscuit joiner?

I usually pull my biscuits apart for easier buttering... never wanted to join 'em.

Andre

https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tools/reviews/more/biscuit-joiners-tool

(Particularly good if you want to connect 2 pieces that are perfectly aligned/flat in one dimension.)

dave

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  8:21:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave:

Well I'll be... never heard of one before this thread.

Andre

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/03/2018 :  02:16:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Dave on the ventilation. Talking to the neighbours is a good idea. There can be a lot of smoke depending on which material you are cutting.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 08/03/2018 02:18:13 AM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/03/2018 :  09:03:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 2 biscuit joiners, a full size one, and a miniature one. (The biscuits are probably 20% the size of the standard biscuits.) I haven't used the miniature one much, but the few times I did use it it was the right tool for the job.

dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/03/2018 :  09:15:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It’s always fun giving the neighbors a heads up on your activities. On the one hand there are the odd looks of mild disbelief and on the other reactions of interest and enthusiasm.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.88 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000