Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 61 ]  [ Total: 62 ]  [ Newest Member: schantze ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2018 :  08:09:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Your new acquisitions should keep you out of trouble for a while.

I’ve been wondering how your locomotive project was coming along.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2018 :  2:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Bob! Although you never really been away:-) Love the purchases, the EM locomotive is great looking. The running characteristics are hit and miss. I have a EM H3 2-8-0 that runs great with the original gearbox but my H1 took a lot of work and it still hesitates a little on every rotation running tender first. I hope yours run great as it is.
The cars look great, they may be heavy and a way to reduce the weight is to change the trucks to plastic or 3D printed ones. I’ll make a test and try a Bachmann new tooling 4-4-0 and how many cars it can pull on my 2% grades so you have some kind of reference.

The hopper looks very nice, great find. Thanks for sharing.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2018 :  3:39:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Andre, Mike and Håkan. Yes, The last self just got hung and I'm letting the blood run back into my hands now.
A quick not on the hoppers I showed; Yahoo groups early rail is now at; EarlyRail@groups.io <digestnoreply@groups.io> On that site Bob McGlone has been discussing detailing and assembling these prints into finished Models. I swear I just found it this morning.

Håkan, Your experience parallels what I have heard from others concerning EM products. But, I think I can handle it. It should be easier then getting my Key (I think) 2-6-6-2 Samson running. I really appreciate your feedback of the brass passenger cars and look forward to hearing your test result. That will be a great help.

It's only make believe

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/22/2018 :  4:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh! I have one of those H-1 brass models in a box somewhere. I'll be -very interested- to see what you do with it!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2018 :  5:07:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good Dave, be patience though. I got to finish the Moguls first. Otherwise it won't have anything to push.

I built a bench for what's in the mystery box. to support all 143 lbs of it.
I started a new thing, priming all my new benches in white. should keep bugs and water damage away but in the California Sun it means hard to photograph. but here's a view of the bottom;

I adjusted the placement of the cross members so that there would be room for the cooling water tank and the air compressor. In this view of the freshly painted top you can see the water tank being test fitted;

So can you guess what's in the box yet?

Both of these pictures were heavily adjusted with Gimp 2 so that you can hopefully benifit from them.

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/22/2018 :  5:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the wooden box:

Is it a major award from Italy?

Andre

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2018 :  11:05:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh that's a great base for a wine vat so you can STOMP your grapes. I'll drink to that.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 07/23/2018 11:08:00 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2018 :  10:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre, close, you missed the point of organ a mere 7562 km. Not Bad.

Frank, that'sfunny.
One more Ebay win to share. I got this for a good price (that's under 300.00 for me) because it didn't have a box and need a little work.

I bought this about 3 weeks ago but just got it Monday because the seller proved his humanity and sent it to South Bend Ohio.He sent me a United model of UP 119. So an exchange had to be made. But all is right now.

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/25/2018 :  11:26:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG... BOB is posting!!!

Will wonders ever cease??

Neat little engine. Wm. Crooks?

My joke: You have to be familiar with the movie "Christmas Story" before it makes sense.

I've been tempted to pick up some brass... but I stumble at the prices. Getting too stingy in my old age!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2018 :  12:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Nice purchase. Looks like the seller threw in an extra dome.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2018 :  8:44:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you, It is a Wm. Crooks, a New Jersey Locomotive build of 1861, as built with two steam domes Mike.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2018 :  1:58:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great aqcusition Bob!

I have tested the Bachmann new tooling 4-4-0 on my 2% grades. I judged it to be able to pull 2-3 brass cars up the grade. I started by weighing in my brass GEM coach at 158 grams.

I then added another car weighing in at 340 grams behind it.

It could barely pull these two cars weighing 498 grams up the grade as you can see in this video. [url=https://flic.kr/p/MnkSad][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/MnkSad]Untitled[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/74408027@N02/]masonamerican[/url], on Flickr

I then reduced the weight on the second car to 163 grams to a total of 321 grams. That it could pull up the grade without problem.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/29uUAni][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/29uUAni]Untitled[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/74408027@N02/]masonamerican[/url], on Flickr

An estimate is that the loco can pull safely without wheel slippage approx. 300-400 grams up the 2 % grades. My non-scientific test didn't take into account the wheel drag from a third car though. The GEM car rides on 3D printed free rolling trucks so the weight is reduced compared to the original car.

I hope this can be of help.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2018 :  8:43:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, thanks, that's very helpful. Very useful.

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2018 :  09:04:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, looks like a perfect spot for a helper locomotive.

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/30/2018 :  11:58:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm going to guess the new acquisition has something to do with Light Amplification and the Stimulated Emission of Radiation, yes?

I see you painting the framing white. I am considering doing the same with my upcoming benchwork for the same reasons. Whereabouts in California are you?

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000