Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 90

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/22/2017 :  3:52:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am here, really. I got back from my October trip almost a week ago with about 600 pictures (glad I'm digital). I drove about 1200 miles on the trip and start by driving about 400 miles to Bryce Canyon Nat. Park. My visit there was a three day adventure in woderfulness (coming to dictionaries soon). Truly awe-inspiring and glorious in it's magnificence. Here's a taste;

Ok, I now return this station to railroading

On Thursday I drove another 400 miles to Carson City for the Conference of the Virginia and Truckee Historical Society but I stopped and visited the Nevada Northern at Ely (emphasis on the "L"). I'm resizing some of those and will share them next time.

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/22/2017 :  7:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's looking good Bob, but man is this a tedious process or what. Hang in there it'll be worth it in the end.

And it looks like you had a fantastic trip.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 10/22/2017 7:31:43 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2017 :  7:22:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Frank, Hang I will indeed. But, I truly appreciate the encouragement.

ELY,
The Nevada Northern was very interesting and gave me several ideals. The Nevada Northern was built in 1906 and despite being dieseled has preserved her Steam legacy before the whole railroad was mothballed until preservation forces aroused and saved her. Since she was built in 1905 I won't be coping any of the structures for my 1884 Railroad but the techniques and practices were still the same. There are three engine houses at Ely. I don't think any of them were built before 1920. But they were laid out as shops and engine houses had been for many decades. The Shop originally had belt driven Machines and the work flow was the same as ones that was built in 1870. So there is a lot for an early railer to learn there.
Take a look at a few pictures;
They didn't seem to have standard designs;

This next two building are the blacksmith and carpenter's shop. notice that the carpenter's shop is sided with Tin like is used on the roof;

The Coaling tower was a very interesting study. It looks to me to be built in the 1920's. The Museum people tell me that it was all built at the same time. That the concrete half is the the sand tower and the wood half was for coal. but take a close look;

Notice in this next view: on the cement side, is that the remains of a coal chute next to the sand spout? And notice the front cement foundation that also runs under the wood coal bins. They are different colors and notice the form seam how the part under the wood coal bins is on top of the footing for the concrete silo. Built at the same time? What do you think?

Next time I'll talk about the Conference and a lesson learned in a Silver/gold mill.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2017 :  8:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oops,
I forgot to share these;
Lots of ideas like another use for caboose/passenger car steps;

And this always excites me;

A steam engine being restored. They hope to have it ready in summer.

And I was delighted to explore one of these;

I had no ideal that they had one. I knew of the two in Chama but didn't know there was still a Standard Gauge one left.

It's only make-believe

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2017 :  8:09:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great pix Bob! Thanks for sharing....

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2017 :  10:01:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Wow. Some really compact structures, perfect for a layout. A lot of modeling potential. Great stuff!

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2017 :  11:13:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,
Great stuff indeed.
Thanks, Dave

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  12:06:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, Thank you for sharing.
ed

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  3:13:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Guys! I'm so glad you're enjoying them. I have one more from Ely. This character;

With coal dust in his fur and oil and grease on his paws and a warm welcoming personality, the roundhouse cat. He is well taken care of with a bed and food bowls in a corner of the roundhouse. I wish I would of got his name.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  4:17:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the Conference of the Virginia and Truckee my Mogul project received a lot of positive attention that I really appreciated. As part of the Conference we were invited to tour the historic Donovan Mill which is not open to the public. The mill is still with us because it was bought by a man to process the ore from his claim. He mined the ore, his wife and two daughters ran the mill until it was recognized as something worth preserving. To this point preservation has meant stabilization of the site. It is hoped more can be done latter. It's a very interesting site with many lessons for modelers. The one I want to show here is the pre-zoning layout of the plant. Here's what we see as we arrived;

And from across the street;

What first hits you are all the changes in the roof lines and the various levels of the buildings. What I want to point out is how the complex fits the lay of the lay of he land and how the various building are not square to each other. The main mill building, which was extended several times in its working life curves gently with the side of the hill it's built on. Interesting, no?

In this next view, we're starting our tour, but notice the angle between the shop building on the left and the mill on the right;

Here's the conveyor belt and it housing that took the ore from the dump to the top of the stamp batteries. Notice the angle it leaves the ore dump;

and finally the site from the top showing the ore dump and a garages and some other building which are not square to each other;

I hope you enjoyed this. I now return to mogul building.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  6:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing Bob! Never have seen a building with tin siding walls. Will make a great model,
Love also the blacksmith shop. And off course the cat. His name must be Sooty#128512; Or perhaps Mr Creosote.

Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  6:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Great photos of a very interesting prototype. Really deserves more attention. Very model-able.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  11:03:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Bob;

Do you by any chance have any other pictures of the rotary plow? Especially side, and none plow end, and tender? I am working on one for my system, just want to see what someone else did.

Thanks

Horse

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  11:15:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool shots again Bob, thank you!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  1:06:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, Your welcome I'm gratified that you enjoyed them.

Horse, I do have some. Remember this was in a stale with parallel storage tracks so there was not that much room and as it is just outside of the era I model I did just a general coverage. Also when visiting open roundhouse/shops of tourist railroads I try to be a Good Railfan. That means I don't clime on equipment unless I'm invited or if stairs are provided. I adjusted these pictures to show detail so the interior shots are off color a bit.

Another view of the side;

the backhead from the gap between the tender and the plow body;

Through the door, facing forward;

with the camera lifted up over the armrest of the most forward opening, facing forward;

I hope these are of value.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 90 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000