Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 90

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  12:37:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My fourth Boiler prototype arrived today!

I had to lengthen it, add two spurs (?) to mount it to the frame and open the interior so that the gearbox fits. And here is the results;

So it all fits and can come apart and go back together again for maintenance. And incidentally its' starting to look a bit like a steam engine. Still a lot to do.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  8:45:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The mail man was nice to me today.

First the second parts spur. Here's a good look at the redone Main Rods;

Notice how the neck is narrower on one than the other. The drawing is the same so I don't know why this happen. When I get time to fully check these pieces out and if they pass, I'll order them in Brass.

From England. from Scalelink pacifically I got the drivers for the 2nd engine. Romford 14mm. The tread is exactly 48" but the tread is a wee bit higher than the Greenways;

More soon

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2017 :  07:59:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

You are a driven man.

You're right that it's starting to look like a locomotive. The boiler looks real good.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2017 :  5:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But Mike, what am I being driven to?
Seriously, I really appreciate your support.

Here's some more information for you all.

Here's a picture showing the gearbox, corrected shaft holder and frame in position;

Here's one with the latist boiler added;

There is a definite sequence that will have to be followed to assemble and disassemble this engine but it won't be a Chinese wood puzzle ether.

Here are the new main rods
(on botton) with the first draft. the new one's look a lot better to me and they're almost scale too. They will be strong enough in brass.

All of the parts came out the right size so I will now order these in brass.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2017 :  10:49:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was able to do a little drawing today.

Shapeways has the drawing to print the prototype and the drawings have passed the computer check.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/22/2017 :  03:27:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Mogul is looking better and better! On the last drawing is the groves to emphasize the planking?

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/22/2017 :  10:39:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

The Mogul is looking better and better! On the last drawing is the groves to emphasize the planking?

Håkan

Thank you Håkan, Yes the groves are .35mm wide and deep to mark the planks. The single forward line won't be seen in the print but marks where the water pump goes through the running boards.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 08/22/2017 10:41:26 AM

talltim
New Hire

Posted - 08/23/2017 :  11:53:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finding this fascinating. I've been formulating plans to the use the Shapeways brass printing to create replacement frames and cylinders to backdate and upgrade a brass PRR H6a/b to an H6 so your experiences are most useful.
I was planning a slightly different method, was going to print two frame halves and WSF/BSF spacers and use split axles. I'm from the UK so I'm used to 'our' established chassis building techniques.I was planning to use commercial hornblocks and etched hornguides, but thinking about it the hornguides are an unnecessary complication with a cast frame.

One thing I would be wary of is trusting that the siderod castings shrink to the same ratio as the frames. It only takes a small inconsistently between the axle centres and the length of the rods for them to cause binding.

Tim David

Edited by - talltim on 08/23/2017 12:56:19 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2017 :  3:14:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by talltim

Finding this fascinating. I've been formulating plans to the use the Shapeways brass printing to create replacement frames and cylinders to backdate and upgrade a brass PRR H6a/b to an H6 so your experiences are most useful.
I was planning a slightly different method, was going to print two frame halves and WSF/BSF spacers and use split axles. I'm from the UK so I'm used to 'our' established chassis building techniques.I was planning to use commercial hornblocks and etched hornguides, but thinking about it the hornguides are an unnecessary complication with a cast frame.

One thing I would be wary of is trusting that the siderod castings shrink to the same ratio as the frames. It only takes a small inconsistently between the axle centres and the length of the rods for them to cause binding.

Thank you Tim. I appreciate your input. I like the British method of frame building. I don't have the space to use hornblocks on the 2nd axle. I did investigate the idea because it would of been nice to have replaceable axle boxes. I think the cast bearings will last a couple of decades and I hope I will too. I agree with your advice on the side rods too. I left lots of room to adjust the fit of the side rods not only to adjust for any shrinkage difference but also any difference picked up in filing and fitting of the axle slots.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate the input.

It's only make-believe

rrjohn46
New Hire

Posted - 08/23/2017 :  9:20:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, Speaking of side rods, I wonder if you have considered making them in two pieces jointed at the center driver crank pin, like on a Mantua loco. With each rod connecting only two drivers rather than three, it might make it easier to get a smooth mechanism.

John Bopp

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2017 :  9:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rrjohn46

Bob, Speaking of side rods, I wonder if you have considered making them in two pieces jointed at the center driver crank pin, like on a Mantua loco. With each rod connecting only two drivers rather than three, it might make it easier to get a smooth mechanism.

John Bopp

Hi John, I did consider it. But decided it would add more complications than it would be worth. At least I hope so.

Thanks for the input. I do appreciate it greatly.

It's only make-believe

talltim
New Hire

Posted - 08/24/2017 :  08:18:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another question. Where did you get the proto info for the frame design (as opposed to translating it in into model form)? My main sticking point is that detailed locomotive drawings of US stock (even for a big RR like the PRR) seem to be in short supply. I can find them for even quite old and obscure British loco and rolling stock. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places...

This is the kinda thing I mean http://enuii.com/vulcan_foundry//photographs/Drawings/no%205272-5321%20ministry%20of%20supply%20austerity%20tank%20engine.jpg

Tim David

talltim
New Hire

Posted - 08/24/2017 :  08:28:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I was looking in the wrong placea! Just found http://www.phmc.pa.gov/Archives/Research-Online/Pages/PRR-Locomotove-Car-Drawings.aspx
Now I just have work out how to send a check or money order from the UK!

Tim David

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/24/2017 :  10:57:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Tim, they're out there. the Plans I used were published in the Gazette Sept/Oct. 2002.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/31/2017 :  7:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Rob,

I'm all pumped up;

The cube in-between the pumps is there just for printing.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 90 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000